Video: Joel Klatt reacts to Nick Saban's frustrations after Alabama's loss to Michigan

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
He's right. Michigan played as a true team, we played as a collection of great players. I hope the powers that be can figure things. We've already lost Coach Saban, I hope we don't lose college football.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
As bad as I hate to admit it I think your right. As many of my fellow members, I too was of an age in the 70's to vividly recall the Coach Bryant era and have see college football grow and morph over time to where things are today. Back in the not so distant past we could look foward to 3 to 4 years of watching a young player become an All American, All SEC and even the programs first Heisman winner.

How do you fix it? Its up to people with a lot more knowledge that I have about the inner workings of college football. I would think the conferences could stop the crazy transferal protocol. But that's the first step in solving the problem of immature 18 year old's saying if I don't play I take my toys and play down the road.

Coach Saban wise, beyond his years decided he didnt like the new wild wild west and took his playground with him into the next chapter of his life.

I will miss college football more than it ever misses a single fan. RTR

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Saban made it crystal clear why he retired after his first interview. His second round of comments that came a few weeks/months after he retired said all. The players and college football in general had changed into something he didn't like. He did his best to soften his words but he retired for the same reasons we said he would.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This sounds much like why Saban left the NFL and never returned too. I think he made some comments at that time that the NFL changed from what it was from when he was DC for Belichick.
Free agency did a lot of damage to the NFL, but it has been regulated so the game ultimately adjusted.

What we have right now in college football is unrestricted pay and free agency. That is not sustainable and it will kill the game.

I think you are dead on. Back in the 80s and early 90s NFL, coaches had much great influence and impact on their players behavior. They could discipline them and the players were receptive to it.

When you tell me players were in Coach's office after the Rose Bowl wanting to know playing time status for next season and pay or they were going to transfer out? NOW you know why they have played like crap for 3 years.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Free agency did a lot of damage to the NFL, but it has been regulated so the game ultimately adjusted.

What we have right now in college football is unrestricted pay and free agency. That is not sustainable and it will kill the game.

I think you are dead on. Back in the 80s and early 90s NFL, coaches had much great influence and impact on their players behavior. They could discipline them and the players were receptive to it.

When you tell me players were in Coach's office after the Rose Bowl wanting to know playing time status for next season and pay or they were going to transfer out? NOW you know why they have played like crap for 3 years.
I said something similar in the portal thread. Could you imagine if NFL had twice annual free agency, no salary caps, and every time you had a coaching change the whole team became an unrestricted free agent?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I said something similar in the portal thread. Could you imagine if NFL had twice annual free agency, no salary caps, and every time you had a coaching change the whole team became an unrestricted free agent?
Love it or hate it, the NFL has a rock solid system that produces parity, competition and enormous revenues while maintaining massive interest among fans.

College football could do much worse than adopting an NFL model for what is essentially an NFL-lite product.

Reactions: Con

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Due to the NIL and its impact on players decisions, I think the only way to curb this clown show is to reinstate the loss of one year of eligibility for a transfer.
Instead, the NCAA will try something stupid like asserting some financial interest in the players' NIL money and claim a transfer fee like in European soccer.

Of course, I'm kidding, but the NCAA is so absurd anything could happen.

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

BamaFan6462

Aug 24, 2023
Love it or hate it, the NFL has a rock solid system that produces parity, competition and enormous revenues while maintaining massive interest among fans.

College football could do much worse than adopting an NFL model for what is essentially an NFL-lite product.
I’m probably in the minority nowadays, but the NFL was much better to watch before parity. It takes time to build a team and players staying together along with coaching staffs give teams more identity and personality. Without dynasties, how do you know if you’ve seen an upset? No dynasty, no giant killers. Part of the fun was watching a new coach build a staff and add talent to build the team but the current system using plug and play talent is more talent evaluation rather than team development. Parity having to be created by a sports sanctioning body tells me that sport has competitors that aren’t willing to put 110% effort into winning championships and in my opinion, takes a key element from the sport.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I’m probably in the minority nowadays, but the NFL was much better to watch before parity. It takes time to build a team and players staying together along with coaching staffs give teams more identity and personality. Without dynasties, how do you know if you’ve seen an upset? No dynasty, no giant killers. Part of the fun was watching a new coach build a staff and add talent to build the team but the current system using plug and play talent is more talent evaluation rather than team development. Parity having to be created by a sports sanctioning body tells me that sport has competitors that aren’t willing to put 110% effort into winning championships and in my opinion, takes a key element from the sport.
We recently ended the greatest extended dynasty (18 years and 6 SBs) in the history of the sport in NE and we're in the middle of another dynasty with KC. And the advent of free agency saw the Dallas dynasty of the 90's.

The overall product the NFL produces today is as good as it ever has been.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.