Major CFB was never righteous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alogan1983

Suspended
Feb 12, 2024
Bear Bryant admitted that at A&M some players were paid...over 60 years ago.

SMU death penalty is almost 40 years old.

Auburn had a payroll when Terry Bowden was hired.

Bama paid Albert Means $200k a quarter century ago and then he couldn't make the starting lineup at Memphis.

Reggie Bush had his Heisman stripped 20 years ago. (2004)

Now, it's just in the open and the NCAA seems to have given up. But it always went on. CFB didn't suddenly become more righteous over the past 20+ years since those things happened. It was still happening all along.

It's almost like believing beautiful women stopped lying or something, they always have. But love makes you believe her. That's what I liken it to. Most major programs I am certain were crooked in some kind of way.

NIL just took the password off her phone so you can see her text, now.

Reactions: dtgreg

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Nah.

I do not disagree that "paying players" has always gone on. They were getting paid in the 20s. Of course that was prior to the ncaa.

However you take the worst of what was going on in the 1980s in the SWC, and what we have now is infinitely worse - and of course is legal.

By worse I mean the sums of money is much larger. The number of players getting paid is far more. And the destruction of the concept of a team is far more complete.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022

Bama paid Albert Means $200k a quarter century ago and then he couldn't make the starting lineup at Memphis.

Now, it's just in the open and the NCAA seems to have given up. But it always went on. CFB didn't suddenly become more righteous over the past 20+ years since those things happened. It was still happening all along.

It's almost like believing beautiful women stopped lying or something, they always have. But love makes you believe her. That's what I liken it to. Most major programs I am certain were crooked in some kind of way.

You forgot the Tennessee pay scale when the "General" was coach.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
No, college football was never virgin pure.

But today’s wretched excess is beyond anything reasonable. $100 handshakes were scandalous at the time. By today’s standards, they’re quaint.

To say that today’s seven-figure pay-for-play and me-first attitudes are OK because CFB was never what it was portrayed to be is to say that fully-clothed making out in her parents’ driveway is equivalent to working in Amsterdam‘s red light district.

None of us are perfect. All of us have done things we wish we hadn’t, and not done things we wish we had. Therefore there should be no trials, judges or prisons.

One does not follow the other.

Last edited:

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
My biggest problem was with schools that didn't make sure that the players didn't at least get an education to fall back on. There is no excuse for players graduating college and not even can read.
And this is how you know the system is rigged and filthy. That "University" should lose its accreditation. SACS is a sick joke. When James Brooks can GRADUATE from Auburn unable to read and testifies in open court to that fact and when Bobby Lee Hurt can get into Alabama unable to read, well, what are we even doing here?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I expect the NIL pendulum will start to move the other direction when these idiot boosters start to realize they are not getting a good ROI for these NIL contracts. I would expect more NIL deals will come with more strings attached, like repayment for a portion of the proceeds if you transfer out.

Reactions: irvingtontide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My biggest problem was with schools that didn't make sure that the players didn't at least get an education to fall back on. There is no excuse for players graduating college and not even can read.
Graduating college? How about graduating from elementary and HS and can't read? The adults did the kids zero favors by passing them through grade school knowing they couldn't read.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

K

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019

A comparison of the past to what's going on now is.....grasping at straws.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Nah.

I do not disagree that "paying players" has always gone on. They were getting paid in the 20s. Of course that was prior to the ncaa.

However you take the worst of what was going on in the 1980s in the SWC, and what we have now is infinitely worse - and of course is legal.

By worse I mean the sums of money is much larger. The number of players getting paid is far more. And the destruction of the concept of a team is far more complete.
Yep. It’s a bit like saying, well, some people have always shoplifted. So let’s just go ahead and make it legal to shoplift.

The boundaries of what is acceptable in college athletics have been moved so far, it’s not even the same league or sport anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.