Why was Chris Capps ever in the game?

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Chris Capss has not played well all season and when Tatum has come in JP has had more time to throw the ball. Against LSU I thought Tatum played very well and Capps was listed as being hurt so I figured we would see Tatum get the start. Then when I was watching the team warm up I see Capps with the starting squad. Capps then gives up two sacks on consecutive possessions, each ending in a fumble and each giving the barn 7 points. After that Capps goes out and Tatum comes in. Once Tatum comes in JP has all the time he needs to throw the ball. But we can not spot the barn 14 points and expect to win. Everything up to game time pointed to Tatum as being the better RT and Tatum getting the start, why on Earth was Capps in the game?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Chris Capss has not played well all season and when Tatum has come in JP has had more time to throw the ball. Against LSU I thought Tatum played very well and Capps was listed as being hurt so I figured we would see Tatum get the start. Then when I was watching the team warm up I see Capps with the starting squad. Capps then gives up two sacks on consecutive possessions, each ending in a fumble and each giving the barn 7 points. After that Capps goes out and Tatum comes in. Once Tatum comes in JP has all the time he needs to throw the ball. But we can not spot the barn 14 points and expect to win. Everything up to game time pointed to Tatum as being the better RT and Tatum getting the start, why on Earth was Capps in the game?

Great question for the coaching staff. :rolleye2:

AdamMc2003

1st Team
Dec 14, 2005
coaching staff :conf2:

yeah I mean if this was the FIRST bad game he had, I would have just said he had a bad game and let it go, has he ever NOT had a bad game???

Crimson-Blitz

All-American
Jul 19, 2001
Hsv, AL, U.S.A.
To me this is one of the symptoms of a larger issue that I would like discussed in an open and honest way.

Quentin Groves probably weighs 230 lbs soaking wet, yet he is shoving our +300 pound right tackles 10 yards into the backfield. Is the problem that Shula is loyal to a ****-poor coach, or that Shula doesn't even recognize that Connelly is incompetent?

babyray

1st Team
Aug 7, 2002
Pell City, AL USA
Why was #72 in the game?

Some here have alluded to the staff playing favorites. Well if that is the case (liking #72 better than #58) then it cost us the game. Can't believe that coaches would run a team like this. Just pitiful is all I can say.:conf2:

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Tatum wasn't exactly dominating the line of scrimmage either now....

We double teamed Groves alot in the second half too.

It's disturbing though.

BamaFanOJ

2nd Team
Oct 19, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I was wondering this myself. Somebody must be playing staff favorites or a hurt #72 would never have been in with a better backup waiting in Tatum (and a senior too). Ugh, disgusting that it has come to this.

RTR forever!

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
I think there might be some pix of someone somewhere in a "compromising position" that Capps must have in his possession...

That, or someone made a REALLY bad decision...

Kudos to KT for improving his game SOOO much over the last couple of games...

Thanks KT...I know JPW appreciates you...too bad we didn't have you early on to protect from the fumbles...

Capps, we love you, you wear Crimson...I know you're trying...I know you're doing what they tell you to do...

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Yes Tatum was the RT last season but Capps was the LT, and neither played well against the barn. But Tatum was playing much better than Capps this season, and escpecially against the barn.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Tatum was the RT last year and gave up the 392 sacks on Brodie! But he has played better than Capps this year.

The question that I have... Why did they go away from Caldwell at RT? He was blocking Groves and the other Aubie DE quite well with no help from the TE or the Backs.

Also.... I believe Marlon Davis was playing RG when Capps allowed the two sacks in question. He was supposed to help Capps on Groves, but ended up pushing Capps off of his meager blocks both times. I am by no means exonerating Capps from his ineptitude in pass blocking. I have seen better technique in High School kids!

tidebanker

1st Team
Oct 10, 2002
Hoover, AL USA
I want to have more discussion about Caldwell at RT. I thought the staff was "trying to find the best personnel at each position" during the offseason and fall practice. I understand the Center is the key position on the line...but hello. Either we were trying anything imaginable to stop the DE or we did something that we've seen earlier.

Either way, it's just difficult to find any viable reasoning as to why. Of course, I do not have all the information....just what I see each Saturday.

FortyYearFan

1st Team
Jan 2, 2003
Quentin Groves said that Capps was giving away the play call by his failure to keep his hand fully on the ground on pass plays and draws:

“When his hands are barely in the dirt, it’s either a pass or a draw and either way if I beat him off the snap I win. I either make the tackle in the backfield or I get the sack. He was light pretty much all day. He was giving away his pass reads.”

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20061119/NEWS/61118007/1011

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.