The Million Dollar Band

ncbama

Suspended
Jun 1, 2003
Albemarle NC
It's that time of year again. Will those in the know please give us an update on the MDB (numbers, music, etc.)? It would be greatly appreciated.
What can we expect September 1?

Crimson Pig

1st Team
Nov 29, 2004
Last year we were said to have 360. I'm assuming because of how certain things from tryouts to numbers issues have been addressed that we may even be bigger? Nobody has said anything regarding specific numbers, but we'll know come Sunday and Monday. As usual we'll be amazingly fantastic. Dr. O wouldn't have it any other way.

And for the love of freaking Christ, do we have to bring up the old K Scott Dr. O bullcrap RIGHT off the bat?

Dude asked about numbers and stuff, not which director was better and which wasn't.

Reminds me of why I shouldn't miss the MDB board.

Last edited:

Whammer Jammer

1st Team
Dec 1, 2002
High Point,NC
What band...where they sit there is no band as far as the 45 yardline in the east upper deck is concerned. We can't hear them. They need to move them back to where they were in the old days, the corner of the endzone! What should I care if 30% of the fans can't hear them.:mad2:

uahitchguy

Jul 8, 2007
What is wrong with questioning the entertainment value of the Million Dollar Band? It is painfully obvious that the band is no where as entertaining as it was 5 years ago. People use Kathryn Scott as the measuring stick because she had been director since 1983, as I'm sure most already know. Yes, the band may be a little better, at times, in marching and sound, but who cares. There are no good stand tunes and the field shows are totally lacking excitement.

Nothing makes our band stand out anymore and the band has turned into every other band in the SEC now. The band just plays an opener, middle selection and closer. I'm not saying that there has to be fireworks, but gimmicks keep people in the stands at halftime and not at the concession stands. I believe that it's time for people to really start questioning the leadership of the marching band program. Our band is boring now! I love the band, but it's time to wake up to what's going on. And if you don't think that Corey Spurlin (UA alum and former graduate asst. to Kathryn Scott) being at AU is going to hurt, just wait.

Whammer Jammer

1st Team
Dec 1, 2002
High Point,NC
Nothing makes our band stand out anymore and the band has turned into every other band in the SEC now. The band just plays an opener, middle selection and closer. I'm not saying that there has to be fireworks, but gimmicks keep people in the stands at halftime and not at the concession stands. I believe that it's time for people to really start questioning the leadership of the marching band program. Our band is boring now! I love the band, but it's time to wake up to what's going on. And if you don't think that Corey Spurlin (UA alum and former graduate asst. to Kathryn Scott) being at AU is going to hurt, just wait.
I think the most important function of the band is to contribute to the atmosphere of the game...make Bryant Denny a venue so loud that everyone hates to play there. That includes the 20 minutes of the halftime show but of greater importance is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters where a large percentage can not hear a chant or fight song andf therefore do not participate in the cheer of chant...move them!

whitman

Scout Team
Dec 28, 2006
Word is that the new assistant director will be in control of the band, or either have a very large say in programming, though it will still be in Dr. O's name.

They're doing an exhibition at the Bands of America contest in Atlanta this year. The JSU Marching Southerners are also doing the exhibition that weekend, which is pretty much their yearly gig. MDB had best bring it that weekend -- the past four years of shows won't cut it with that crowd.

Now, the question is what kind of change will the new assistant bring to the band? He has a previous stint as assistant director of MDB, but he's been in the Georgia BOA-band culture since then, though he has been very successful.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Whammer Jammer

1st Team
Dec 1, 2002
High Point,NC
Challege to any listeners? Name the first tune they play!
El Camino Real!

Just goes to show that what you play doesn't always have to be stuff that's recognizable -- it's all about how you present the material.
I'd like to know what they play when we score...or for that matter, IF THEY PLAY ANYTHING WHEN WE SCORE. Move them back to the corner where they should be SO ALL CAN HEAR THEM! I don't care if it takes them 10 minutes longer to get back in their seats...MOVE THEM!!!!!!!

Big_Fan

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Wilmore, KY, USA
Word is that the new assistant director will be in control of the band, or either have a very large say in programming, though it will still be in Dr. O's name.

They're doing an exhibition at the Bands of America contest in Atlanta this year. The JSU Marching Southerners are also doing the exhibition that weekend, which is pretty much their yearly gig. MDB had best bring it that weekend -- the past four years of shows won't cut it with that crowd.

Now, the question is what kind of change will the new assistant bring to the band? He has a previous stint as assistant director of MDB, but he's been in the Georgia BOA-band culture since then, though he has been very successful.

We'll see what happens.
That's surprising. In the past, the MDB has pulled out of exhibitions where JSU was going to be in attendance...for pretty obvious reasons.

Crimson Pig

1st Team
Nov 29, 2004
Here's something...can you say SAME SHOW ALL YEAR!? One show, not three, not four, one. No wonder they do it so well. If I sit and do theoretical phsysics over and over and over everyday nonstop for a year by god i'll have it DOWN. Point is anybody can do what they do with the amount of repitition they do it in. Period.

UAman2005

1st Team
Sep 15, 2004
Here we go again. Im glad they got rid of the band board. Kathryn is gone. Gone gone gone. She isnt coming back. Stop fearing change.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Sadly, I have to agree with others that excitement has been lacking in the MDB's performances the last few years. Of course, excitement has been mostly lacking in the football team's performance too!

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
As a comparison, I've seen a ton of halftime shows involving the Spirit of Troy from USC. I'd venture out to say that they just do a different style than the MDB but they're almost always are entertaining. They sometimes dance during their shows and every single USC fans loves the Spirit of Troy and some would argue that USC wouldn't have their spirit if it wasn't for the band.

I think the MDB is good and I can hear them just fine (I'm hard of hearing also). They can change up their music during the halftime show but the band can essentially do what they want.

MasterShake

All-SEC
Feb 19, 2005
Dothan, Alabama, United States
When I was in the MDB we had some pretty obese people in the band dragging us down. I found it interesting when we attended the Orange Bowl that Michigan's band has a physical requirement to be in the band. I don't think MDB will be doing any kind of dancing until some of the band members lay off the hot pockets.