Saw Julio Jones today (court house)

bamafan1

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 12, 2006
This was posted on an Auburn forum and I did see Julio Jones at the court house today. I posted this just so rumors wouldn't get started. He isn't in any trouble at all and the kid was very nice to me. :) I'm sure Auburn fans will try to twist this into something bad.

Jury selection began today in a Baldwin County capital murder trial that is expected to feature Foley High's Julio Jones, the University of Alabama's top football recruit, as a witness.
Jones was riding in a car with the victim, Lashane Phipps, sometime before he was shot, but was not with him at the time of the shooting, according to attorneys involved in the case.
Labarron Dontae McDonald, 26, is on trial for the May 2007 slaying. Jones is expected to take the witness stand Wednesday, according to Assistant Baldwin County District Attorney Michael Pylant.
Phipps, 33, of Foley, was killed May 12 while sitting in a Chevrolet Suburban, parked near homes on Fifth Avenue in the Aaronville community, north of Foley High School, police have said.
He was shot four or five times above the waist, according to Foley Police Lt. David White.
Phipps and McDonald had a long-standing feud, White said, but a motive behind the shooting was not revealed

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
That may be the dumbest thing that I have ever read. Perhaps you should call up Coach Saban and share with him some of your infinite wisdom.

Hopefully the mods will kick that absurd crap to the curb, with you following it shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Uh.....Unless I read wrong....Julio was in the car with the VICTiM not the murderer. Thats like saying you were shady if someone came into the bank and held it up and you just happened to be there cashing a check. :mad2:

Crimson Grin

1st Team
Jan 27, 2005
Georgia
A friend of JJ was murdered by a thug for a disageement and you say something stupid about birds of a feather...The red flag should be your post! I guess the lady that surivied in the Mall (Lane Bryant store) shooting should not have been involved in that situation. Please think before you post! :pDT_ow:

Oh, and thank you bamafan1 for the update it's amazing how things can get misinterpreted!

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Now the thread is confusing, I thought, at first, all the flame throwing was aimed at the OP instead of the deleted post.....

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Hope he can get this awful chapter of his life over with and move on. Any word on the connection between a HS Senior and 33 year-old friend? Relative, possibly?

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Neighbor, relative, co-worker, family friend, friend's relative, friend of a friend, etc etc. . .

Julio deserves credit for standing up and contributing to the trial.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Let me say that any more posts which are made which call into question JJ's character based on no more than having had a friend killed will be deleted, and, if repeated, the poster will be suspended. It's called "guilt by association."

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Neighbor, relative, co-worker, family friend, friend's relative, friend of a friend, etc etc. . .

Julio deserves credit for standing up and contributing to the trial.
no one is disputing that he's doing what he has to do. I'm asking about what association, other than "friend", a 33 year-old has with an 18 year-old. I'm not saying anything about the shooting....it strikes me as odd than a 33 year-old is running around with an 18 year-old with no more description than "friend", that's all. I would hope any of us would have that same concern were it our 18 year-old kid....football talent or not.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Let's not speculate on any negative innuendos left to the imagination by the media reports on this situation. There will be enough of that from the Barners and other rivals. For now, there's nothing to see . . . move along.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I guess it is unusual for someone to have a friend that much older, but certainly not unheard of. When I was 22, I moved from Tuscaloosa out to Steamboat Springs, CO and ended rooming with an old friend of the family. He was, at the time, 50 years old. Despite the huge age difference (he was more than double my age for the first 5-6 years we knew each other), we became fast friends, and even now (10 years later), I still consider him one of my closest friends. We came from 2 completely different backgrounds, but timing, proximity, and common interests go a long way toward friendship, much more so than simply age. Granted, I was out of college when we first met, and there's a big difference between 18 and 22. But, the age difference in and of itself is not anything unusual from my perspective.

Bama1970

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2007
Lucedale, Ms
Hope he can get this awful chapter of his life over with and move on. Any word on the connection between a HS Senior and 33 year-old friend? Relative, possibly?
http://www.al.com/news/press-register/index.ssf?/base/news/1203502609163690.xml&coll=3

Jones, a 19-year-old star wide receiver at Foley High School, who recently signed with the University of Alabama, testified about the events of May 12, when he was with his best friend, Lugene Gibbs, 18, and Gibbs' uncle, 33-year-old Marlin Lashane "Bill" Phipps.

Latest threads