Cheese with some whine, made from the sour grapes of Mississippi

TiderinMiss

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2000
Clinton, MS
Rick Cleveland: Indisputable? You could have fooled me

"Upon further review, the ruling on the field is reversed ... " Wagers said and whatever he said after that was drowned out by cheering from Alabama fans and booing from Ole Miss fans.

Scores of cups and several bottles rained down on the field from the Ole Miss student section. Alabama players celebrated wildly.

So much didn't seem right about this. Mostly, it didn't seem right that Ole Miss defensive end Greg Hardy, the best athlete on the field this day, walked off a loser.

Hardy did everything but single-handedly deliver an Ole Miss victory. Hardy led both teams in tackles with 13, including 4 1/2 for losses. He sacked Tide quarterback John Parker Wilson three times, hit him another time to force an interception, forced two fumbles (one of which Ole Miss recovered) and smelled out and ruined an Alabama fake field goal late in the fourth quarter.

It didn't seem right that Ole Miss would overcome first a fourth down-and-16 from its own 8-yard line and then seemingly fourth-and-22 from the Alabama 45, only to have the game decided in the replay booth.

It didn't seem right that after 3 1/2 hours, more than 150 plays, 798 yards of total offense and so many thrills and spills on the field, the game was decided after a pregnant delay in the press box.

Again, the key word: indisputable.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
Why is it wrong if the officials got it right. The moronic official that was there MISSED the kid running out of bounds and that is inexcusible...he was RIGHT there...what was he looking at as they ran down field???. Frankly the officials were TERRIBLE today...moreso than in the past. How did they not get the punt call correct? I got it from the moment it happened and I didn't even have the best angle (From TV). Also, a kid can't just catch the ball at the one and run into the endzone. You must show CONTROL and ESTABLISH CONTROL while IN BOUNDS. That never happened regardless of whether or not his feet would have been IN BOUNDS. If his momentum carried him into the endzone regardless of where his feet where, it should be called a touchback. TERRIBLE OFFICIATING TODAY! Ole Miss was also holding on almost every pass play and I think it was called twice.

Nick4Bama

1st Team
Sep 8, 2007
Columbia, tn
I had no doubt they would be ticked about it for years to come.

Looked like he steped out to me, but I always tend to look at the defensive side of the play. Mitchell was in position and made a great play. I don't why he didn't just knock the ball down though since it was 4th down.

All liquir bottles smaller than a liter should be made of plastic.

Whammer Jammer

1st Team
Dec 1, 2002
High Point,NC
I'm an old official and have not called a game since 1999 but I believe the Ole Miss player can come back in but can not be the first player to touch the ball. They did not show enough of the catch to determine who touched it first. We don't know what the actual ruling was and never will.

Our first drive...there was pass interference on the 5 which may have cost us a TD. There were calls on both sides that made you go hmmmm.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Well, Ole Myth fans can complain all they want but they can't say it was home cooked calls because we were playing at their place. Crap happens and Bama has been on the receving end of it for a long time now. It's time for someone else to get screwed. Might not be right but we've had our fair share for quite some time now. ROLL TIDE!!!

BamaCarol91670

1st Team
Jun 22, 2003
Paris, Tx
This game was replayed on DirecTV at 10:30 last night. I DVR'd it and looked at the end after I read this article. The OM receiver clearly went out of bounds on his own. He was a step behind the defender. It was not a force. As the ball gets there, the OM receiver comes back inside the defender, throws his hand in front of the defender and touches the ball first. We catch it but it clearly touches the receiver first. I'm sure the replay booth had better angles than I did and can get a close up of the ball. We can thank the receiver for throwing his hand up there. The correct call was made according to the rules.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
SOUR GRAPES- What a goob. Well I said this yesterday- it seemed to me unclear that the rec for Ole Myth even had clear possession anyway, from the angles on TV is was hard to tell, but the refs ruled it a 'catch'. The receiver clearly did run out of bounds on his own. I think he just forgot where he was on the field. LM was turned around looking for the ball, otherwise I think they would have called forcing out. Something in the replay must have shown the rec touched the ball first, doesn't mean he had to have caught it then, he was probably trying to prevent LM from intercepting it.
Alanbama was right, the officiating was terrible today, with two calls being reversed, both in Alabamas favor, but they were CORRECTED CALLS, and anyone (OLE MISS) who can't admit that is a sore loser. The GC fumble should have been reviewed and wasn't. Not Bama's fault- The Ogre could have forced a review if he wanted to. Coaches are allowed one per game. Coach Saban did it when it was needed and thankfully the bad call was overturned.
As for Hardy, yes he did play well enough to win, and Ole Myths offense played pretty well, but so did Bama. Our offense played pretty darn good today as did Javier Arenas and others. They lost because Bama scored a few more points than Ole Myth. The refs were all but giving them the game. Duh!

todd150hp

Aug 5, 2006
I'm an old official and have not called a game since 1999 but I believe the Ole Miss player can come back in but can not be the first player to touch the ball. They did not show enough of the catch to determine who touched it first. We don't know what the actual ruling was and never will.
I don't understand why I keep reading that it could not be determined who touched the ball first. I recorded the game as a Windows recorded TV file and currently have the replay paused in another window with the ball inches away from the Ole Miss Receivers hands which are clearly in front of Mitchell's hands. If I knew how I'd convert the frames to pictures and post them. Another board I was reading had several opposing fans stating over and over that either Mitchell touched the ball first or it was inconclusive and therefore should have stood as called on the field. If you watch it frame by frame it is conclusive the Ole Miss receiver chose to run a yard or so out of bounds to get around the Alabama defender with position on the sideline, was behind the Alabama defender (Mitchell) when the ball was in flight, reached over Mitchell's shoulder with both arms stretched out in front of Mitchell's hands, and conclusively was the first to make contact with the ball.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
All in all, it was just a last minute, high risk play that didn't work for Ole Myth. LM played it correctly (other than intercepting it completely) and their rec did not. JMHO.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I don't understand why I keep reading that it could not be determined who touched the ball first. I recorded the game as a Windows recorded TV file and currently have the replay paused in another window with the ball inches away from the Ole Miss Receivers hands which are clearly in front of Mitchell's hands. If I knew how I'd convert the frames to pictures and post them. Another board I was reading had several opposing fans stating over and over that either Mitchell touched the ball first or it was inconclusive and therefore should have stood as called on the field. If you watch it frame by frame it is conclusive the Ole Miss receiver chose to run a yard or so out of bounds to get around the Alabama defender with position on the sideline, was behind the Alabama defender (Mitchell) when the ball was in flight, reached over Mitchell's shoulder with both arms stretched out in front of Mitchell's hands, and conclusively was the first to make contact with the ball.

Salty Dog @ Work

1st Team
Sep 12, 2001
Murfreesboro, TN USA
That's the Mississippi Mentality at work. Having lived there for 5 years, I can tell you that it really doesn't matter what the evidence shows. Ole Miss fans will claim that they were cheated, even if video evidence clearly shows the the OM player went out on his own, came back in, and touched the ball first.

Arguing with them is like mud wrestling a pig.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Even if it wasn't illegal touching, the OM WR clearly should have been called for offensive pass interference. He came over the back and hit LM while the ball was in the air. He had to do this because LM had the inside position to catch the ball. Both the video and still frames show this conclusively. There is way the Ref should have missed this.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
We'll never know what the they saw on that replay. You have to remember that in college football they don't use the TV feeds for replays like they do in the NFL. They have a different set of cameras specifically for the replay system.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Wah wah wah!!! The right call was EVENTUALLY made no matter what OM fans want to say. We're just lucky we didn't get screwed because the officials on the field were seemingly trying to.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Wah wah wah!!! The right call was EVENTUALLY made no matter what OM fans want to say. We're just lucky we didn't get screwed because the officials on the field were seemingly trying to.

Yeah- I was just over lurking on the Ole Myth boards and boy are they delusional. What a bunch of whiners about the refs and Bama. They forget conveniently about the spotting of the ball at the 1 foot line on what should have been a touchback. That also HAD TO BE REVIEWED and was overturned because it was wrong too. The player never set his feet outside the goal line and his foot was clearly touching the line. As for the last play,
that play had so many DISPUTABLE parts to it its not even funny; I haven't watched a close-up of it yet, only what I saw yesterday but just what I noticed were:
-The receiver and LM went out of bounds of their own accord-no forcing
-Argument could be made the rec interfered with LM's interception
which is where I think the illegal touching happened PRIOR to the 'catch'
-Rec never established himself in the field of play
-Rec never had clear possession and neither did LM

TheCapstone

Suspended
Oct 13, 1999
Athens, Alabama (Limestone County)
To me the worst call of the day was when they tried to down the ball on the one foot line when the Ole Miss player caught the ball and ran into the endzone during a punt. I've never seen such an idiotic call. I told my wife duing the commercial that I bet Coach Saban was having a come-a-part. Sure enough, when the commercial was over, Eli said he was.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.