Teams that Depend on "Home Cooking"

numbersman

1st Team
Jun 28, 2001
Montgomery, Al U.S.A.
Arkansas is a classic example of a team that must have home cooking to be in games. Thats why cry baby Heath gets so upset ehen his team hits the road. Georgia and Kentucky are other examples. They have to get away with murder and get cheap files called on visiting teams to win. Kentucky is constantly sprawling on the floor to draw charges.

Until we get referees with the ability to call both ends the same, the same crap will continue. I think the officials need cotton in their ears to block out the boos of savage crowds. Maybe if this happens we'll see the home team advantage shrink.

LSUDeek

Suspended
Feb 8, 2006
numbersman said:
Arkansas is a classic example of a team that must have home cooking to be in games. Thats why cry baby Heath gets so upset ehen his team hits the road. Georgia and Kentucky are other examples. They have to get away with murder and get cheap files called on visiting teams to win. Kentucky is constantly sprawling on the floor to draw charges.

Until we get referees with the ability to call both ends the same, the same crap will continue. I think the officials need cotton in their ears to block out the boos of savage crowds. Maybe if this happens we'll see the home team advantage shrink.
Don't forget it helps Alabama out too....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It helps us out less...

because our whole game plan has to be designed around staying out of foul trouble. Last night, once the hogs realized they would not be whistled, no matter what they did, the game turned into something resembling a wrestling match...

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
I think Coach Gottfried should have earned a Technical in the 2nd half. Hard to justify doing that though when you have a good lead most of the half.
That would have improved the balance of the calls.

Slowing things down in the last few minutes made our offense go stagiant too.

AlabamaSooner

All-SEC
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Here's an idea...maybe the team itself lost the game. Refs don't win or lose a game for you. If it comes down to a close game and there's bad officiating, it's the team's fault for even getting in that position. After being up by 18, there's no excuse (bad refs, foul trouble) for losing that game. Blaming someone else for your loss does nothing (and never will do anything). That's just my 2 cents...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To repeat...

no one is saying that the home team doesn't get home cooking. Certainly Bama does. However, the situation is exaggerated, as it was in the first Bama/Ark game by the type defense ARK plays and our desperation to avoid fouling. Now, just a word to the wise to our LSU visitors. You've made your point, and we understand it and why you take that position. Now, drop it.

Bama 3:16

1st Team
Oct 16, 1999
Millbrook, AL
When we can't even feed the post because our players are being thrown to the ground, its bad officiating. Its not like the West Virgina-Syracuse the other night where WVU stood around the arc and shot 3's all night. They didn't earn any trips to the line and rightfully so.

Our whole attack is to get the ball inside and we were not allowed to do that because of the officiating. They were allowed to clutch and hold, come over our back and we'd get called for touch fouls at the other end. When we did get it inside, Hendrix being an example, he could not get a call with players hanging and coming over his back. It was an outright travesty.

LSUDeek

Suspended
Feb 8, 2006
TIDE-HSV said:
no one is saying that the home team doesn't get home cooking. Certainly Bama does. However, the situation is exaggerated, as it was in the first Bama/Ark game by the type defense ARK plays and our desperation to avoid fouling. Now, just a word to the wise to our LSU visitors. You've made your point, and we understand it and why you take that position. Now, drop it.
I understand Tide fans have the right to be righteously indignant about the foul situation but until the myopic crimson glasses are taken off and they realize it happens every single Wednesday and Saturday, there's just going to be more walls punched, shirts ripped, and dumpsters dented. :rolleyes:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"Deek"

has left the room. Some people don't know how to behave in other folks' houses. To any lurkers - we have a rule against ignorant sparring and we enforce it. See "Deek"s post above as a good example of such...

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
TIDE-HSV said:
has left the room. Some people don't know how to behave in other folks' houses. To any lurkers - we have a rule against ignorant sparring and we enforce it. See "Deek"s post above as a good example of such...
GREAT punt, Earle! ;)

Bama 3:16

1st Team
Oct 16, 1999
Millbrook, AL
Why did Ark on shoot 9 Free throws at Coleman?

They shot 27 3 pointers to 14 for 'Bama in that game. UA constatnly fed the post. Davidson and Hen drix had 28 shots between them last night. UA attacked the basket and was rewarded for it. Ark. did not and thus did not get to the line.

Last night, we weren't allowed to get the ball in the post because of the wrestling match that was taking place in the lane.

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
LSUDeek said:
I understand Tide fans have the right to be righteously indignant about the foul situation but until the myopic crimson glasses are taken off and they realize it happens every single Wednesday and Saturday, there's just going to be more walls punched, shirts ripped, and dumpsters dented. :rolleyes:
And the roughest team in the SEC is the LSU Tigers who have a big baby who fouls on every play and is rarely called for anything. Thomas is allowed to get away with murder as well.

numbersman

1st Team
Jun 28, 2001
Montgomery, Al U.S.A.
My Point Has Been Missed

Sur :cool: e, everyone should at least get an even break on calls at home, but teams that depend on home cooking have a cry-baby coach like Heath, Smith, and LSU's coach who cry about every call/non-call until the calls go their way. A little of this can be necessary, but there are coaches (Temple's coach, also) who depend on home-cooking to win home games.

I am proud that Godfey doesn't. I think the road record of Bama shows that they are not one of these teams. I just hope we can win the next three and be in the tourney.

RTR

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The part that bothers me the most, are the Bama posters that have drifted to the Basketball Board now that Recruiting season is done, and they see Bama losing an 18 pt lead and assume it's bad coaching or players who didn't do their job.

My issue is NOT and has NOT been with the FOULS CALLED.........ARRRRGHHH!

It's the THE FOULS THAT ARE NOT CALLED

I don't care if they shot more free throws than we did.......its the lack of blowing the whistle that killed us last night, not the ones they called!!!

ARRRRGHHHH!!!!!

gottarun2win

3rd Team
Oct 1, 2003
Nashville, TN USA
We shouldn't complain of Home Cooking

It happens to every team - we get it like the rest. In fact, the only chance a visiting team wins is when the refs cheat the home team of the foul advantage. We have been very fortunate this year in a few games to actually be the beneficiaries of fair officiating at away games - games we won, of course.

The reason we are so miffed is that we had that game - and you really can't get mad at the players, because they are playing their best basketball right now. But the fact is, our game changes once we get in foul trouble.

We still were within a free look by Brock to slam it home away from overtime. He rushed that shot with 2 seconds left (not really blaming him, I had the better view of the clock). Man oh man, though, if he were just a little better offensively . . .

Just my two cents, but booting someone for calling us on our hypocrisy is no better than what we claim other boards do. Double hypocrisy. Let others speak their mind, even if it is a bit painful to hear.

I still feel good about our team - way above my expectations after the tough December and loss of Chuck.

Not to get too verbose, but has anyone noticed that lately our man is superior to our zone? Last year and early this year I hated when we went man (especially with Winston, no offense intended), and felt our best d was our zone. Lately our zone looks good, but not as good as our man - we have some really good perimeter defenders! Imagine that! I remember December!!

tiderollerfan

Scout Team
Feb 13, 2005
The difference in FT's

Is related to the style of play. In Tuscaloosa, all Ark did was spot up threes. They only used Townes as needed, and driving inside is where you pick up most of your fouls. Also, if I remember correctly, a lot of their points came off of TO's last time. Last night, they used the inside game a lot more than in ttown and ended up getting a ton of foul calls on our inside players. That is the reason Ark only shot 9 FT's in ttown. Also, yall play in your face D. That is one of the reasons Ronnie Brewer leads the conference in steals. Well, with that type of play comes an abundance of fouls. We can't do that or we would have no players. You naturally don't foul as much in a zone D. Ark allowed us to shoot 33 FT's in ttown because they were all over us with pressure and man D, they only shot 9 because of our zone D, their TO points, and jacking up a ton of threes. We went down low almost every time down the floor and got fouled shooting. Like I posted last night, the telling stat is this...
ARK blocked shots 10 with 2 fouls on their C/F
UA blocked shots 0 with 16 fouls on their C/F
We have excellent shot blocking statistics, and the fact that we got 0 with that many fouls means every time we contested a shot they blew the whistle. I know ARK C/F didn't just foul our inside players 2 times contesting AT LEAST 10 blocked shots. C'mon.
P.S. I would have booted that dude too. I hate it when other school fans come on here calling us biased when we all know they are just as biased towards their school. You wanna rile someone up, go rile up your own dang fans. :mad2:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You Hogs...

just don't learn, do you. Coming on our site and calling us "blind" is just plain dumb, aside from being a violation of our "smack" rules. Any other Hogs, be on notice that my toleration for smack has just dropped to one single post. Do it and it'll be your last post...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.