Poll: Does The Bush Presidency Get A Passing or Failing Grade?

Does Bush Get A Passing or Failing Grade?

• Yes, his presidency has been a success

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • No, his presidency has not been a success

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Undecided or too early to make that determination

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Foreign Policy: F

He gets points for showing some deliberation immediately after 9/11, during a time when we probably could have reduced Afghanistan to a sea of glass and the world wouldn't have said a thing. Apart from that, not only has the invasion of Iraq been a disaster, it has diverted attention from other trouble spots, such as Iran and North Korea.

Domestic Policy: F

He has consistently demonstrated all the fiscal restraint of a coked up frat boy.

Last edited:

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Foreign Policy - A+ - especially his handling of the war on terror. I do not care if other countries "like" us or not. We were the least popular nation in the world when Bush took office, we will still be so when he leaves, but the rabble has a clear taste of our willingness to kick ***** when needed.

Domestic Policy - Split:

Economy - A+ - he managed to help America's economy grow during one of the most trying times in our history.

Supreme Court - A - I like both new justices, but I am sure that those 0n the fringes of both parties see a failure here.

Homeland Security - C- - Barley a passing grade. His detailed plan to address border security could either boost or drop this rating.

Fiscal Responsibility - F - His unwillingness to force spending changes when he had control of both houses is the biggest waste of opportunity in my memory. He also failed to address the Social Security issue while dramatically increasing the medicare program with his Rx plan.

Leadership - Internal & Global - F - Do I really need to explain?

In the end, his failures outweigh his successes, IMO...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I have to agree with Edwards on this one, worse president in my lifetime. As far as positives, the ONLY thing that I can think of was his swift and successful action in Afganistan. Unfortunately even that came at a price, they are now the largest exporter of opium products in the entire world.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
My 2 cents

War on Terror
A+ for going into Afganistan, F for not chasing Bin Laden to The China Sea if necesary, D- for tying up in Iraq. D

Foreign Policy
Outside of the War on Terror, is there one? Its been alleged that CIA helped in the Chavez coup - thats SO '50s. Relief efforts towards chronic Africa issues have been novel. He's at least ben able to tell Isreal no; a couple of times, anyway C

Domestic

Supremes - In the end, this may have been the only reason to vote for him. A

Economy - I can't think of a single bill passed that wasn't 100% pro-business (and 0% pro-consumer). C. Spending, F. Net D.

Leadership, in General - I'm absolutely convinced that GWB is the one you want to organize a Frat Kegger. F

I don't know if he's the worst, but he's right in there with Lyndon.

Hopefully, we'll never have another POTUS from Texas.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
Foreign Policy - B While I agree with the war on terror I think our leaders are too "soft" to really deal harshly with these people.

Economy B- The Economy has rebounded from 9-11 but with soaring fuel costs that may change.

Supreme Court B- Would have been higher but his Harriet (who?) Meiers nomination was really a snafu.

Homeland Security D- His unwillingness to do anything about our borders have opened many peoples eyes. The recent call to move NG troops is a smokescreen.

Fiscal Responsibility F NYBF is totally right. With Republicans controlling the House and Senate financial and SS reform should have been passed. The deficit. :eek:

Leadership - Internal & Global F How many people trust him? Theres your answer.

First term: B+

Second Term: F

Overall barely a passing grade. D-

Last edited:

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
I will place him just below the middle along with Clinton. A recent survey among college political science professors listed Clinton at 32 and G.W. at 34. I think that that is about right.

florabama

Banned
Oct 13, 2001
Pensacola, FL
bamapride79 said:
Foreign Policy - B While I agree with the war on terror I think our leaders are too "soft" to really deal harshly with these people.

Economy B- The Economy has rebounded from 9-11 but with soaring fuel costs that may change.

Supreme Court B- Would have been higher but his Harriet (who?) Meiers nomination was really a snafu.

Homeland Security D- His unwillingness to do anything about our borders have opened many peoples eyes. The recent call to move NG troops is a smokescreen.

Fiscal Responsibility F NYBF is totally right. With Republicans controlling the House and Senate financial and SS reform should have been passed. The deficit. :eek:

Leadership - Internal & Global F How many people trust him? Theres your answer.

First term: B+

Overall barely a passing grade. D-
Ditto to all of the above. Good post. It's Bush's unwillingness to do what the people who elected him expected he would do that's killing him. In other words, his failure to be a conservative is causing his base to abandon him.

I

It's On A Slab

Foreign Policy - F. Invading Afghanistan would have given him pretty decent marks, but he ruined everything with our allies. The war in Iraq is an abyssmal mistake of huge proportions...ill-thought, and we'll be paying for this for decades.

Environment - F. I can't think of a single initiative that he's begun that actually helps the environment. It's all couched in such misleading terms as "Clean Skies", and "Clean Air"....whilst gutting regulations on industrial pollutants, and seeking to sell of our nation's wilderness areas to developers. He deserves to be tarred-and-feathered for this issue alone.

Economy **- I don't give Presidents grades for the economy. Clinton took credit for the expansion that began under Geo. Bush I. Carter took the blame for a sick economy that was getting sick under Nixon/Ford.

Supreme Court - F. Could have appointed true centrists, swing votes who could help balance the Court. I hope I'm wrong. I hope we get two O'Connors, but I sincerely doubt it.

Homeland Security F- Homeland Security was a knee-jerk reaction to September 11th.

Fiscal Responsibility F. You don't fight a war abroad and give huge tax breaks to the wealthiest 1%. His spending has outdone most other Presidents.

Leadership - F. I voted for a centrist consensus-builder(the way he governed in Texas). He's not worth a bowl of spit.

First term: F+

Overall barely a passing grade. F[/QUOTE]

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
It's On A Slab said:
Economy **- I don't give Presidents grades for the economy. Clinton took credit for the expansion that began under Geo. Bush I. Carter took the blame for a sick economy that was getting sick under Nixon/Ford.
What? Come on, economic policy is the deciding factor in most elections in America and you don't rate it? Why? Could it be because you would have to give Bush a good grade?:rolleyes:

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
If presidents get judged for their fiscal policy and how that affects the national economy, then Bill Clinton has to be credited with reversing the federal deficit and building a surplus. Instead, all the Bush lovers consistently shrug that off as out of his control, or due to his congress.

Well, both houses of congress have been controlled by the 'conservative' party since GWB took office, and we now have a national debt higher than ever in history. Whose fault?

Fiscal policy...F
Foreign policy...F
Environment...F
Protection of my privacy rights...F
Separation of church and state...F
Respect for the constitution...F
Public speaking...F
Immigration...C
Security...C (Homeland Security Department a mistake; CIA, NSA, disasters)

Without question the worst leader in my lifetime, and probably in the top two or three all time.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
bobstod said:
If presidents get judged for their fiscal policy and how that affects the national economy, then Bill Clinton has to be credited with reversing the federal deficit and building a surplus. Instead, all the Bush lovers consistently shrug that off as out of his control, or due to his congress.

Well, both houses of congress have been controlled by the 'conservative' party since GWB took office, and we now have a national debt higher than ever in history. Whose fault?
Find anyone that doesn't blame Bush for our current fiscal situation and I will agree with you. Personally, everyone that I know blames Bush for wasting this opportunity to cut spending, conservatives and liberals alike (though I doubt that liberals would have been happy if he had). I don't know a single soul that doesn't place this firmly at his feet.

Clinton deserved full credit for the economy under his watch. It is what got him elected (the recession under Bush I), and it got him re-elected. For some reason, Bush isn't getting the same credit from the left.:conf3: :conf3: :conf3:

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
NYBF,
You know that the left would not be happy if in fact Bush did cut spending. The proof has already been presented when they complain about spending but turn right around and say that he hasn't spent enough on the prescription drug plan, education, etc. Think recently when Bush has mentioned cutting spending increases and the Dems raised hell about people will be put on the streets. Look at the recent earmarks that were added to the defense spending measure. Rediculous.
Note: this is in no way excusing Bush and the Republican controlled Congress for it's excessive spending. Unless someone spectacular comes up to run for President on the Republican ticket, I will be voting third party or I will write DBF in.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
I've noticed all of you have given him a lot of f's .I'm wondering if this is the lowest score we can give him cause I'm thinking on a scale of one to ten his presidency is in the negatives.

I

It's On A Slab

NYBamaFan said:
What? Come on, economic policy is the deciding factor in most elections in America and you don't rate it? Why? Could it be because you would have to give Bush a good grade?:rolleyes:

Come back after you've put on your reading glasses. :rolleyes:

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Find anyone that doesn't blame Bush for our current fiscal situation and I will agree with you. Personally, everyone that I know blames Bush for wasting this opportunity to cut spending, conservatives and liberals alike (though I doubt that liberals would have been happy if he had). I don't know a single soul that doesn't place this firmly at his feet.

Bush is patently responsible for the deficit spending. His party controls both houses, and he has never vetoed a single bill. There is no way anyone can claim that the excessive spending of this administration is anyone else's fault.

So rejoice in the low unemployment and the rising stock market...it's all bouyed by the most profligate spending spree in the history of the United States Governmnet.

Bush HAS cut spending! He's cut it where it hurts the most: in envorinmental protection, in law enforcement, in student loans, and Aids research, in stem cell research. Has he EVER tried to stop the seemingly endless porkbarrel spending of his drunken-sailor congress?

He gets F. And, as another poster has just opined, that is a generous grade.

I

It's On A Slab

CapstoneStan said:
This pretty much says it!

But, but, but, but.....remember when he said that he intended to spend all that capital he earned in that landslide victory back in '04?

Didn't take him very long.

Latest threads