RECIPE: Shrimp Creole

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
An easy comfort food dish. You will be rewarded if you take the time to cut your vegetables into same size cubes before you start cooking. Total time including prep work should not be more than an hour.

INGREDIENTS:
4 tbsp butter
1 tbsp oil
1 cup chopped white onion
1 cup chopped celery *note at bottom
1 cup chopped bell pepper
6 cloves garlic chopped
6 tbsp flour
1 - 16oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup hot water
juice of 1 large lemon
1/2 tsp sugar
4 bay leaves
salt & cayenne pepper to taste
3 lbs peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1/2 cup chopped green onions

DIRECTIONS:
In a heavy pot like a 5qt dutch oven, melt butter. Add the oil. Saute the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic about 5 minutes. Add the flour and blend well to make a chunky roux. Add tomato sauce, hot water, lemon juice and sugar. Add bay leaf and season with salt and cayenne pepper. Cook over medium heat about 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning then add Shrimp. Cook 15 minutes then add green onions. Cook an additional 10 minutes and serve.

Serve over a bed of white long grain rice with hot toasted french bread.

*I was always told to use the young tender celery stalks from the center for this dish and save the celery leaves to add whole at the end. There is a lot of flavor in those leaves.

TOASTED FRENCH BREAD
Mix 4 tbsp butter with 4 tbsp olive oil till creamy. Spread on slices of bread, top with fresh chopped parsley and toast till crispy in oven.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I made shrimp creole today and added a bit of link sausage to the pot. I was thinking about you BamaLuver when I was washing out the empty pot. :D

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
This was Sunday's meal. I must admit this was a winner. I did add some tomato chunks for that last 10 min of cooking. Butter and EVO on sliced fresh bread went well with this dish, I also sprinkled some garlic salt on the slices before toasting.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
This was Sunday's meal. I must admit this was a winner. I did add some tomato chunks for that last 10 min of cooking. Butter and EVO on sliced fresh bread went well with this dish, I also sprinkled some garlic salt on the slices before toasting.
Nice to see someone else using a combination of butter and EVO on fresh sliced bread. I use minced garlic mixed in with mine and let the butter get very soft at room temp to make a paste. It is outrageously better than just butter. I often sprinkle the top with fresh chopped Italian flat leaf parsley or a bit of grated cheese.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I also made it this weekend. It was a hit:)

We used Watkins Garlic and Parsley grapeseed oil for dipping the bread.
Never have tried it. Is it part of the Watkins Spice line?

I make an olive oil dipping sauce from:

1/2 cup EVOO
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 anchovie filet
1/2 tsp dried rosemary or thyme

Mash the anchovie with a fork to mince it up. The anchovie is the salt part of the dipping oil. There usually isnt much left over so we dont save it.

When we have creole or etouffee we dip bread in the gravy.

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
Put about 8 garlic cloves in OO in fridge overnight. In blender/food processor, chop fine the garlic/ OO mix. Then add butter or your favorte and blend until creamy.

Put on what ever. Too good!

I like my butter (after it is made up) a little on the oily side.

Top it off with parsley or basil or both!

Great with chili.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.