Bama Game Thread: A-Day Game Thread ( ESPN @ 3PM CT)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
that second play was definitely a miss on Milroe. The D blitzed the slot CB. RB did a great job and picked it up. Milroe never saw that the blitz meant the slot WR was wide open for a while as the D was trying to roll an ILB all the way over into coverage and it took him a while to get there. Milroe had time to deliver the pass before the inside pressure got there. With the LB rolling that far and with the S in the middle of the field that should have been a gift to the O that Milroe just flat missed.
This is a fair point. He probably should have thrown the slot WR because of the blitz. But for a college QB and for Milroe I'm okay with how that play worked out. I wish i could tell what route the slot WR is running because he starts by running straight up field which probably makes that throw a little more difficult unless its very quick and the WR knows its coming. But still, that is a valid point if we saw the all 22 he's probably open later in the play too and that's where Milroe should have been looking not the other side of the field.

Anyway, my overall point on this play is that I don't think its a bad play from Milroe. It's one I'd be happy with personally. He's not going to make all the right reads to be frank and in that case at least he was decisive in running when the pressure got there. Last year I feel like he would have ran around awkwardly especially early in the season.

presnap I don't think that should have been a give as we didn't have the numbers to block all the D guys on that side of the field since the TE is releasing. OT had a DL, OC had a DL, playside OG combo'ed the DL with the OC, then to backside LB - no one even looked at the playside LB and he met the RB right in the hole at the LOS so that could have been a no-gain play but luckily the RB was able to at least get the 2 yards for a first. maybe, just maybe there should have been a post-snap read on the playside LB staying in the hole or going with the TE. Right at the snap the playside LB steps forward instead of going with the TE so the read would still be to not give to the RB. Net, it was a mis-read either way.

Next read would be if the Edge stays put to cover the QB keep, it should be a throw (but Milroe already messed that option up by giving when he shouldn't have). The TE was wide open with two WR blockers in front against only 2 DBs to that side of the field so probably goes for a big gain. The slot WR stays in view and it's easy to see he's setting up to block the DB to the inside of the field.
Rewatched this one and I think you both are right actually and I was wrong. I'm not 100% sure because Milroe doesn't look like there is anyway he's keeping that ball but I think maybe he just decided really early he was handing it off and that was the wrong call. I don't really think there was an option for him to run it but I think I am wrong that it was a run call all the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaMoon

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
TS's second drive:

1st play: fakes a handoff, steps up in pocket with great footwork and floats a 20 yard pass across the middle to Prentice. Perfect execution on this one!
This play really was fantastic and one I don't see Milroe making anytime soon.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I just sort of think when you strip it all back, I don't think JM trusts himself, imo. His tendencies are to go for the homerun ball, hand off on the RPO. He doesn't want a 8 play drive down the field. The lack of trust affects his vision, timing, and decision making. Roy McAvoy in Tin Cup...

I think the coaches see this. If the confidence is there they see unbelievable talent thst would be hard to stop. I think that is why they are going the extra mile to see if his confidence will build. They know where TS can take them.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I just sort of think when you strip it all back, I don't think JM trusts himself, imo. His tendencies are to go for the homerun ball, hand off on the RPO. He doesn't want a 8 play drive down the field. The lack of trust affects his vision, timing, and decision making. Roy McAvoy in Tin Cup...

I think the coaches see this. If the confidence is there they see unbelievable talent thst would be hard to stop. I think that is why they are going the extra mile to see if his confidence will build. They know where TS can take them.
Funny you say that, I don’t think he trusts the coaching he’s received. Or at least he doesn’t apply the coaching he’s received.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.