A glimpse of the chaos in Haiti, a country reeling with effectively no leader

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
What a mess!

The crisis actually started when President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated in 2021.

NPR

CAP-HAÏTIEN, Haiti — In Haiti, there aren't many certainties in life, but chaos may be one of them.

For a country that's experienced coups, transitional governments, assassinations and gang violence over the years, the chaos of the last two weeks has reached new levels.

During that period there has been no leadership, no law and order in the capital and a dwindling supply of humanitarian aid. The country has been effectively cut off from the outside world.

Meanwhile - El Salvador

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
What a mess!

The crisis actually started when President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated in 2021.

NPR

CAP-HAÏTIEN, Haiti — In Haiti, there aren't many certainties in life, but chaos may be one of them.

For a country that's experienced coups, transitional governments, assassinations and gang violence over the years, the chaos of the last two weeks has reached new levels.

During that period there has been no leadership, no law and order in the capital and a dwindling supply of humanitarian aid. The country has been effectively cut off from the outside world.

Meanwhile - El Salvador
Several Coup attempts ago in Hatti there was a nasty loud mouthed Ham operator that gave America hell every night on the 40 mm Band. One night I was feeling my Oats and I told him that if America wanted to Take Hatti that we wouldn't send our Military.
I told him if we really wanted to take Hatti, we would send a fleet of American pleasure boats to Hatti, we would tell them if you take it, you can keep it. That loudmouth cussed on the band for a couple of hours. I called it a success. A couple of weeks later he was shot and got the old burning tire neck tire around his neck.
Island Justice. I don't think that was ever investigated.
40mm was improved dramatically.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
(this from 4 days ago.....)
The first plane chartered by the Florida government to carry U.S. citizens from Haiti has landed at the Orlando Sanford International Airport. NBC News' Guad Venegas explained the logistics and challenges that were endured to return these citizens to the U.S. safely.

(and more recently....)
Twenty-one more Americans, including nine Floridians, have been flown into Florida from Haiti in the state’s second chartered flight out of the crisis-stricken Caribbean country, according to the Florida Division of Emergency Management.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
If you want advanced view of full-blown libertarianism take a look at Haiti...
what happened to Haiti over the last several hundred years is more about Colonialism as far as I am concerned. France and the US have utterly destroyed that country and done everything that can be done to keep it the mess it is. I have plenty of criticisms of Libertarianism but this isn't one of them

Reactions: crimsonaudio

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
We have sent untold millions, if not billions, over there. Why is no one asking where that money went?

Reactions: AWRTR

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
what happened to Haiti over the last several hundred years is more about Colonialism as far as I am concerned. France and the US have utterly destroyed that country and done everything that can be done to keep it the mess it is. I have plenty of criticisms of Libertarianism but this isn't one of them
Yeah.... They have gotten short straw after short straw. Haiti fought and won independence from France in 1804. Yet the international community let a deal go forward where France "recognized" Haiti's independence in 1825 in exchange for reparations at the tune of $60 bln of todays dollars. Haiti spent the next 122 years paying at times up to 80% of the government's revenue to France.

I feel like the population seeing 122 years of non development after Independance probably has a lot to do with what happened the 2nd half of the 20th century there.

We can save the US's 19 year occupation, transfer of funds out of Haiti's banks, and forceful overturn of the Haiti constitution to allow sale of Haitian property to foreign owners for another day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon and AWRTR

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
@JDCrimson has not responded yet, but I think his comment was more about how a country with no government descends into anarchy than stating that Haiti is a libertarian country.

I agree with both of the two posts above (Jon and 2003Tide). The reparations to France have doomed Haiti.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
This was my point exactly. Thank you for clarifying for the group. Libertarianism died on the wagon trail...

@JDCrimson has not responded yet, but I think his comment was more about how a country with no government descends into anarchy than stating that Haiti is a libertarian country.

I agree with both of the two posts above (Jon and 2003Tide). The reparations to France have doomed Haiti.

Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

Latest threads