Do people not love their children?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's clear what's fundamentally wrong with our society - most people are so selfish they actually don't like being around their own children. The number of complaints from parents around here about schools being closed again today is astonishing, and many aren't complaining about working from home, etc - they're literally talking about how their own children drive them nuts. One mom literally said "I love my kids more when they're gone to school 8 hours a day". That post is one of many similar comments.

It's both sad and eye-opening. Even in the relatively wealthy areas people are more focused on themselves than their kids. I can point to the 'fatherless' in our poorer communities as an issue, but this is no less of an issue among financially stable, intact families. It's no wonder so many parents excuse poor behavior as 'kids being kids' - they literally don't care enough to engage. They just want to be part-time parents.

If you don't like your kids, it's your fault. Change them. You should be molding them into people you adore being around, not people you cannot wait to get away from. If you don’t like them, how can you expect anyone else to?

Yeah, it's work - but it's apparent that many people are so selfish and lazy they don't care. It's sad.

*sigh*

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wo love spending as much time with our boys as possible. When they moved to Ohio, we sold our home in NJ and moved to Ohio.

That said, children can sometimes be more difficult. I cherished every moment with them when they were children, but I was a road warrior and always gone. My wife often took her time with them for granted. I think that is natural.

Some people should never have been parents, but I suspect that most of the people saying this today will look back at some point in their lives and wish they had been more present when they had time with their kids. They will want some of these chaotic moments back. They are precious. But in those moments, we sometimes miss the treasure.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It's clear what's fundamentally wrong with our society - most people are so selfish they actually don't like being around their own children. The number of complaints from parents around here about schools being closed again today is astonishing, and many aren't complaining about working from home, etc - they're literally talking about how their own children drive them nuts. One mom literally said "I love my kids more when they're gone to school 8 hours a day". That post is one of many similar comments.

It's both sad and eye-opening. Even in the relatively wealthy areas people are more focused on themselves than their kids. I can point to the 'fatherless' in our poorer communities as an issue, but this is no less of an issue among financially stable, intact families. It's no wonder so many parents excuse poor behavior as 'kids being kids' - they literally don't care enough to engage. They just want to be part-time parents.

If you don't like your kids, it's your fault. Change them. You should be molding them into people you adore being around, not people you cannot wait to get away from. If you don’t like them, how can you expect anyone else to?

Yeah, it's work - but it's apparent that many people are so selfish and lazy they don't care. It's sad.

*sigh*
And.........Why would one (not you, CA) wonder why we`re in the shape we`re in? Kids learn from their parents, even the bad stuff. That`s what`s truly frightening for the future.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I don't think there's much difference in the love of children from parents anytime in history. Some people love their kids too much and can't let them breathe, some parents walk away before their kids are born and could care less (ask me how I know), and there's some parent that is everything in between.

Living on Earth has always been hard, and you'll hear from the loudest complainers the most when someone has moved their cheese.

Our employers as a whole don't support or care about our kids (not all though), which creates a lot of headaches when school is out but you still have to work.

Some people are plain selfish as well, and they will never be good parents. Our genetic code has many, many personality flaws, which I don't see being ironed out for millennia at best.

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
I don't understand that at all. I spend as much time with my kids as I possibly can. They are the world to me and our window to live in the same house with them is pretty short. I try to even appreciate the chaos. My oldest just started college this year and it felt like one of my best friend's moved away.

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009
We have a 20 yo (still at home, in school) & 15 yo. My wife lost her job when the oldest was 2 yo so she has been a stay-at-home mom ever since. She still cries when the 15 yo goes back to school, the 20 yo is in year round. We love being around them & in the rare times that we're able to go away by ourselves, all we do is talk about our kids. I wish (selfishly) they could have stayed 10 & 5 forever.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We have a 20 yo (still at home, in school) & 15 yo. My wife lost her job when the oldest was 2 yo so she has been a stay-at-home mom ever since. She still cries when the 15 yo goes back to school, the 20 yo is in year round. We love being around them & in the rare times that we're able to go away by ourselves, all we do is talk about our kids. I wish (selfishly) they could have stayed 10 & 5 forever.
Username checks out. :)

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
One thing that I have seen in my experience as an educator, coach, and parent of teenagers, is that sometimes parents' love for their children is misguided. It just seems that a lot of parents' idea of being a good mother or father is to wrap their kids in bubble wrap and never allow them to fail or even experience consequences. I can tell you that as a coach, I learned more from a loss than I ever did from a win. As a human, I have learned more from being allowed to fail than I ever did when things were going smooth. In my relationship with Christ, I have learned more "in the valley" than I have on the mountaintop. I think Gen X, which I am a part of, are a bit more selfish than the Boomers. I also think that it is only downhill from Gen X (maybe that is the nature of any generation). One of the scariest things is how narcissistic society has become in general. Maybe it is just more evident now because of social media. I know that people seem to be more self-absorbed now than they were twenty, or even thirty, years ago. I am a huge believer in the socialization process/learned behavior, which doesn't bode well for the future, according to my simple observations.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
  • Sad
Reactions: crimsonaudio

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Some people should never have been parents, but I suspect that most of the people saying this today will look back at some point in their lives and wish they had been more present when they had time with their kids. They will want some of these chaotic moments back. They are precious. But in those moments, we sometimes miss the treasure.
I had a saying for years, " the most important job in the world has zero minimum qualifications"

Latest threads