News Article: UNLV Starting QB Takes Redshirt, Says Promises Were Not Kept

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You're missing the point.

You're acting as though the kid and his representatives did something wrong and out of the ordinary.

The truth is that, for a couple years, that behavior has been extremely ordinary...
And I'm saying as soon as he enrolled he should have had a signed contract, if indeed what he claims was verbally agreed to was promised.

This isn't rocket surgery.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
And I'm saying as soon as he enrolled he should have had a signed contract, if indeed what he claims was verbally agreed to was promised.

This isn't rocket surgery.
Apparently, they tired to do that and received a lot of back and forth between the collective and the school until the school admitted they weren't going to uphold their end of the bargain.

And that brings us to the recent event...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I have no idea of what the true story is but I do have this thought, if my employer lied to me during the interview and/or hiring process, then I would resign. I've observed organizations where the turnover rate is fairly high because of that very thing, people are being told one thing and then when they start the job they find out they were lied to.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It was the person charged with recruiting him and authorized to offer him a scholarship.

That's a lot of authority to assume they should be dismissed out of hand...
There shouldn't have been anything done based on assumptions. Again, this falls at the feet of the kid's agent. If he was "big enough" to quit the team not even halfway through the season then his agent should have told the school, HC, and the collective (from the beginning) that he would not play one down of football until a contract was in place or the money transferred to the kid's account. That's the purpose of an agent, is to protect the interest of the player. I have zero sympathy for the player and his agent.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I have no idea of what the true story is but I do have this thought, if my employer lied to me during the interview and/or hiring process, then I would resign. I've observed organizations where the turnover rate is fairly high because of that very thing, people are being told one thing and then when they start the job they find out they were lied to.
That's why even in jobs and job interviews, you require employee contracts when it comes to monetary promises. You can safely (and I mean safely) assume that if your employer gives you a verbal promise for a raise in the future for work required from you now, you'll never see that raise. Because employers serious about their promises put it in writing and employees serious about promises being made to them require it in writing. Outside of that, you're just volunteering to be played a fool.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
That's why even in jobs and job interviews, you require employee contracts when it comes to monetary promises. You can safely (and I mean safely) assume that if your employer gives you a verbal promise for a raise in the future for work required from you now, you'll never see that raise. Because employers serious about their promises put it in writing and employees serious about promises being made to them require it in writing. Outside of that, you're just volunteering to be played a fool.
It doesn't have to be about the money. Employers can lie about several things that aren't in the contract. I know this situation is about money but the point still remains, if my future employer (let's not kid ourselves, players are now employees) lies to me about something then I will resign. As I stated previously, I have no idea what the truth is here but we can't just assume the university side is 100% correct and the player's side is 100% wrong. It may be 50/50, it may be 75/25 one side or the other but very doubtful that it's 0/100. I don't agree with quiting on your team in the middle of the season but we're now living in different times and this is now employer/employee. I don't like it but it is what it is.

Reactions: uafan4life

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It doesn't have to be about the money. Employers can lie about several things that aren't in the contract. I know this situation is about money but the point still remains, if my future employer (let's not kid ourselves, players are now employees) lies to me about something then I will resign. As I stated previously, I have no idea what the truth is here but we can't just assume the university side is 100% correct and the player's side is 100% wrong. It may be 50/50, it may be 75/25 one side or the other but very doubtful that it's 0/100. I don't agree with quiting on your team in the middle of the season but we're now living in different times and this is now employer/employee. I don't like it but it is what it is.
Most people in the real world aren't in a position to resign the first time their employer lies to them. They may start looking for another job, but most people stick it out and keep working there (eating the crap sandwich) until they find another job. I know the low-hanging fruit is to compare these college athletes to adults in the real workforce but that is a really bad comparison. The majority of these kids don't have a mortgage due in three days, kids to drive to school, a spouse to support and a lot of the day-to-day stressors the average adult has. They are in a safe bubble of a college campus going to class and playing football.

I don't know what actually happened but I do know what the agent is responsible for and he/she severely dropped the ball on this one, regardless if the school acted in good faith or not. The agent is there for that very reason.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Most people in the real world aren't in a position to resign the first time their employer lies to them. They may start looking for another job, but most people stick it out and keep working there (eating the crap sandwich) until they find another job. I know the low-hanging fruit is to compare these college athletes to adults in the real workforce but that is a really bad comparison. The majority of these kids don't have a mortgage due in three days, kids to drive to school, a spouse to support and a lot of the day-to-day stressors the average adult has. They are in a safe bubble of a college campus going to class and playing football.

I don't know what actually happened but I do know what the agent is responsible for and he/she severely dropped the ball on this one, regardless if the school acted in good faith or not. The agent is there for that very reason.
While I don't necessarily disagree with you on the culpability of the agent, you do seem to be ignoring the arbitrary limitations placed upon the agent and the student at the time of these negotiations and decisions...

Reactions: imauafan

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
There shouldn't have been anything done based on assumptions. Again, this falls at the feet of the kid's agent. If he was "big enough" to quit the team not even halfway through the season then his agent should have told the school, HC, and the collective (from the beginning) that he would not play one down of football until a contract was in place or the money transferred to the kid's account. That's the purpose of an agent, is to protect the interest of the player. I have zero sympathy for the player and his agent.
The assumption there was crimsonaudio's assumption that the student and his agent should have known that the Offensive Coordinator's promises regarding NIL were not to be trusted.

My point is that he was the person with the authority to recruit and offer a scholarship to the student. Why would you then consider it even reasonable, much less obligatory, to consider his NIL verbal agreements - the only avenue available at the time - as worthless without prior evidence to the contrary?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
While I don't necessarily disagree with you on the culpability of the agent, you do seem to be ignoring the arbitrary limitations placed upon the agent and the student at the time of these negotiations and decisions...
Nothing was stopping the agent when the arbitrary limitations were in place to disclose to the school, HC, and collective that before his client suited up for a game (months down the road) there needed to be a contract in place or funds transferred to the kid's bank account. The agent should have put a deadline on them and not left this open-ended with a bunch of verbal promises. That was the fatal mistake of the agent, which is the main reason why he/she is needed in the first place. The school is going to do what is in the best interest of the school and the agent is supposed to act in the best interest of the player. That's how it works in professional sports.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
The assumption there was crimsonaudio's assumption that the student and his agent should have known that the Offensive Coordinator's promises regarding NIL were not to be trusted.

My point is that he was the person with the authority to recruit and offer a scholarship to the student. Why would you then consider it even reasonable, much less obligatory, to consider his NIL verbal agreements - the only avenue available at the time - as worthless without prior evidence to the contrary?
It's just common sense to me, but I've been in the business world for over 25 years so I guess things that are no-brainers to me are not to others. But again, an agent is there to be the expert on business dealings, and IMO, dropped the ball and didn't do enough due diligence to protect their client. I just would never assume nor trust that an assistant coach had the authority to promise me NIL money without going higher up the chain to confirm. Maybe I need to become an agent 🤷‍♂️ LOL!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

And what you're ignoring is that they were knowingly trying to game the system - NIL contracts that have existed for several years now were not supposed to even be tied to a school - they were literally monetizing one's name, image, and likeness. This young man (along with many, many others) is gaming the system for pay-for-play under the guise that it's for his NIL.

So yes, Sluka's trying to game the system and made a stupid decision, so I blame him. Sure, there are others to blame, but all of this starts with him trying to monetize not his NIL, but rather pay for play.

Stupid is supposed to hurt. He should be smarter.

Reactions: dtgreg

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And further, because this was tied to the school, pay for play, he's quitting his team. If this were real NIL there would be no effect - Jalen Milroe would still be the face of the ads for the companies he's signed contracts with and he'd still have LANK, even were he benched.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The "kid" appears to be a "greedy it's all about me" type. If he is as smart and talented as he thinks he is then he should have acted more professionally. The team means nothing to him. ME, ME, ME. You get what you pay for. Cam's daddy was his agent. Keep it down home cuz. I have read this agent was not registered in Nevada. Again, you get what you pay for. If I think I deserve deluxe treatment I am not going economy class or cutting corners. He and his family got what they deserve.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

You are correct that sometimes a person can't quit their job and that is why employers can and do get away with treating people badly. I don't see why a player should stay just because they don't have a mortgage? I don't follow that logic. The ultimate end to this will be a player's union is my prediction. I'm not in favor of that but I can see where this is heading.

You may not like it but that doesn't make it true, these players are now employees and the universities are their employers. I don't like it one bit but that's just the way it is regardless if I like it or not.

But we all agree that no one knows what really happened.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads