Georgia wrap-up: Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Great summary - I think not having Russaw at 100% limited our ability to get as much pressure from our 4 man front as Jess pointed out. Even though the guys behind him are great pure pass rushers, they aren't as tough as he is against the run. The staff adjusted to that by often not even using a Wolf player, but using Bandit in that spot. That helped against the run, and even though both Latham and Overton are pretty good rushers, they aren't quite Russaw there either. UGA also seemed to figure this out and when we went heavy, passed and when we went light, they ran right at it. I'm also still not sure why we continue to use the 3 man front with the wolf pulled slightly off the LOS between the two DTs. It's almost like when they tried to use Anderson as an inside rusher and it takes your quickest rusher away from what he can really do best in space.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Great summary - I think not having Russaw at 100% limited our ability to get as much pressure from our 4 man front as Jess pointed out. Even though the guys behind him are great pure pass rushers, they aren't as tough as he is against the run. The staff adjusted to that by often not even using a Wolf player, but using Bandit in that spot. That helped against the run, and even though both Latham and Overton are pretty good rushers, they aren't quite Russaw there either. UGA also seemed to figure this out and when we went heavy, passed and when we went light, they ran right at it. I'm also still not sure why we continue to use the 3 man front with the wolf pulled slightly off the LOS between the two DTs. It's almost like when they tried to use Anderson as an inside rusher and it takes your quickest rusher away from what he can really do best in space.
Without Russaw Alabama simply could not affect Beck with 4 men at the LOS, no matter the combination of guys on the field. Have to figure that out. Can't be that reliant on one player on defense. Too many very talented QBs on your schedule.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Great expression for explaining the second half. "We were playing the clock."
I hope our play callers got this message.
Yeah. At halftime, I was seriously pondering a final score along the lines of 56-10 or similar, then wound up with a near heart attack in the fourth quarter.

I wasn't sure if we had backed off or if Georgia had picked up their game out of desperation.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah. At halftime, I was seriously pondering a final score along the lines of 56-10 or similar, then wound up with a near heart attack in the fourth quarter.

I wasn't sure if we had backed off or if Georgia had picked up their game out of desperation.
After their success moving the ball on their last two possessions I knew that Alabama was going to give up some points. They were figuring it out. But I had no idea just how conservative DeBoer was going to get. That is what led to their comeback. Every short Alabama possession gave them more hope, and sucked the confidence out of the stadium.

Rollingtide

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 13, 2023
Every short possession also helped gas the defense. I couldn't understand why since the short passing was working so well, we didn't continue doing that in the second half. We just kept trying to run JM which UGA adjusted to stop.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
As usual, great write-up Jess. And your game prediction almost came true, but I'm glad it didn't. All of our young guys, especially the DB's, got a heaping helping of experience last night.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Without Russaw Alabama simply could not affect Beck with 4 men at the LOS, no matter the combination of guys on the field. Have to figure that out. Can't be that reliant on one player on defense. Too many very talented QBs on your schedule.
agreed. We just don't have another like him unfortunately. Robinson and Koht are really good speed rush guys, but not as stout against the run, and all the other options are good against the run, but not as much on the pass rush. The only real other option would be sliding Campbell down to OLB, but I don't think we'd want to take him out of the middle of the field on a consistent basis, even though Jefferson has also been playing really well at ILB. Pierre might get there before long and was getting reps last night. Maybe one of the lighter Bandits like Renaud or Keeley could get some reps at Wolf to try to fill the gap until some of the younger guys develop more.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads