James Spann kicked off Facebook and Instagram

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I hope he gets his issue resolved but to say “many rely on it” is a bit overblown. Exactly how many people have his Facebook page as their sole source of weather information?

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I hope he gets his issue resolved but to say “many rely on it” is a bit overblown. Exactly how many people have his Facebook page as their sole source of weather information?
Honestly, between that and their app, I do. Haven’t watched TV news in over a decade.
Until you said that, I hadn’t thought about it like that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Given what those platforms allow, what did James Spann have to post to get booted?
I just had a bunch of old posts removed as 'spam' where I was promoting projects I worked on - was informed that if it continues, I will be booted.

IOW, Meta's Ai system is screwed. I'll simply leave if this continues - the only reason I use Meta is for (legal) promotion.

Reactions: Bhammer

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I’m 65 and in decent shape. But my genetics are iffy. Women in my family live a long time. Neither of my grandfathers saw 70. My father didn’t see 44, though a lot of that was self-inflicted. My mother is almost 90 and in surprisingly good condition. Assuming I’m in the middle, and ignoring the possibility of accidents, I probably have 10 - 15 years left.

I’m glad I won’t spend any of the limited time I have left on any national social medium. Never had, and never will have, FB, Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, or whatever the platform du jour might be. TideFans is the closest thing to social media I’ve ever participated in or ever will.

Hanging out in my living room, studying wine, watching DVDs, working KenKen and Sudoku, managing our investments, hanging with the cats, rucking while listening to wine-related podcasts, and keeping the rest of the world turned off until I myself turn off Is looking increasingly attractive.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I know James Spann isn't an unquestioning believer in man-made activities being the sole cause of climate change. While I don't know what happened between him and FaceBook (or why), it's possible he ran afoul of the FaceBook algorithm because of that.

Spann himself will geek out on the methodologies of the various studies connecting cause and effect. Also, whether the amount of temperature change cited is documented to a truly scientific standard, including full disclosure of all assumptions, distribution of data points, locations and methods of gathering data points, vetting and verification of outlying data points, etc., etc.

I'm not saying Spann is right or wrong. I'm saying what he believes. And again, I don't know what got him on FaceBook's mud list.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know James Spann isn't an unquestioning believer in man-made activities being the sole cause of climate change. While I don't know what happened between him and FaceBook (or why), it's possible he ran afoul of the FaceBook algorithm because of that.

Spann himself will geek out on the methodologies of the various studies connecting cause and effect. Also, whether the amount of temperature change cited is documented to a truly scientific standard, including full disclosure of all assumptions, distribution of data points, locations and methods of gathering data points, vetting and verification of outlying data points, etc., etc.

I'm not saying Spann is right or wrong. I'm saying what he believes. And again, I don't know what got him on FaceBook's mud list.
That's what I suspected when I first heard it. If you don't fully buy into the climate calamity stuff, which I don't think JS does, somebody might try to cancel you.

Reactions: dathbama

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Ahh, hadn't thought of that. Good point.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I don’t watch his station so I don’t follow him. What does he say about it?
He’s been very gracious about the “mistake”. They reinstated his accounts, personal and professional, and he has carried on with what he had been doing before. There’s been no mention if Meta fessed up why all of his accounts were taken down.
Part of me wonders if one of these people who thinks anything the weatherman says must be perfectly accurate or they should burn at the stake, went and filed a false claim that he posted something against community standards and it was an insta-ban based off the complaint.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He’s been very gracious about the “mistake”. They reinstated his accounts, personal and professional, and he has carried on with what he had been doing before. There’s been no mention if Meta fessed up why all of his accounts were taken down.
Part of me wonders if one of these people who thinks anything the weatherman says must be perfectly accurate or they should burn at the stake, went and filed a false claim that he posted something against community standards and it was an insta-ban based off the complaint.
Thanks, but I was wondering what his views on climate change are.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Thanks, but I was wondering what his views on climate change are.
His stance as I understand it is that the window of time with accurate recording devices (and as someone mentioned above about properly placed accurate recording devices) is too small of a sample size to make definitive statements as are being made. For example, if you are in the camp that the Earth is billions of years old, and want to use a 100-150ish year window of data to make definitive statements like those being made, then it’s not real good science..

FTR…not trying to debate anything here, just trying to explain what I understand Spann’s stance to be. Debating that goes on the NS board.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads