Loss of eligibility

UA DJ

Scout Team
Aug 9, 2001
Texas
http://www.rolltide.com/Mens%20Basketball/6781.asp

What do you think? Pretty vague explanation so far, so it's hard for me to judge. Williams has been with the team a LONG time, so why is this just coming out now? Fourteen games seems like a lot, depending on the situation.

I guess we have to wait and see what comes out of the Winston investigation.

[This message has been edited by UA DJ (edited October 30, 2002).]

RTRinNC

Scout Team
Nov 24, 2000
Shelby, NC
The Lucky Williams situation is a story that reads like a "whodoneit" novel, most particularly how he ended up in the US to begin with. I can tell you that it was not because he was a tourist, and decided to stay. Last Spring, I became curious as how a player from Nigeria came to Bama (as most of you know, I follow bball recruiting fairly closely). To my knowledge, Lucky is the first foreign born player to come to Bama. I did a good bit of research, and ended up talking, by phone, to an investigative reporter in NJ, who originally broke the story about Lucky and other foreign players. I submitted an article about Lucky to TideFans in August. I doubted it would be published then, and definitely don't think it will be now. I certainly have no problem with that decision.

Now, in the midst of recent events, I will offer my opinion, based on a good deal of digging: UA did NOT violate any NCAA rule, or even moral standard, concerning Williams. I believed six months ago, and I do today, that Lucky was a victim of opportunists who sought to gain financially from his talent as a foreign basketball player. Mark and Bama gave Lucky a chance to fulfill a dream...live in a free country, without civil war and genocide, and play the game he loves. IMO, there is no coach in the country who plays more by the rules than Mark.

RTR!!!

RTRinNC

Scout Team
Nov 24, 2000
Shelby, NC
DJ, that's part of it, not all, by a long shot. But it does hit the "theme". I spent two hours on the phone with a reporter in NJ...mostly saying "you gotta be kiddin'".

RTR!!!

72tide

Jul 22, 2001
Guys,

Is this another NCAA up the rear deal? I was looking to basketball to be my "antibowlban."
Besides, the only sport I like better than BAMA football is BAMA basketball. Should I be worried?

SCrammerjammer

1st Team
Sep 4, 2000
South Carolina
This sounds like, "OK, let's wait and see. What will be will be."

On TI, they are splitting a gut over this issue saying he was rooked last year over a bogus clearance and now this.

This does seem a little late coming. What gives?

Latest threads