Michigan Under Investigation For Sign Stealing

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Here is where my mind goes on this whole topic and I've not seen it mentioned here.

Jim Harbaugh was on the brink of being fired a few years ago. The man took a pay cut to keep this job...

And miraculously, Michigan beats Ohio State the very next year and wins the Big Ten and goes to the playoff for the first time. And then they do it again the next year! Amazing!

I'm sure it is just a complete coincidence that all of this stuff started along about the same time.

Just like it is a complete coincidence that Clemson's rise and fall occurred along the same time that they allegedly began a sign stealing campaign and said campaign was discovered and dismantled.

It's bizarre.

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
Once they played someone that the Assistant didnt scout..i.e the CFP semi final opponent, because they didnt know who that would be, ...their results dont look so good in that 2 year period...hmmm.....

Reactions: rolltide7854

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I remember little league in Selma when we used to steal signals all of the time and nobody ever thought twice about it. The other team did the same. Sports is a cat and mouse game. You change your signals or better yet you change nothing see if they can stop you!

Also, coaches watch film (all the way down to HS at least) looking for "tells" or formations. Also, if you look at stance and even the knuckles of an offensive lineman you can usually tell whether it's a run or pass. Stealing signals. You still have to stop it!

Much ado about nothing! This generation is full of whiners.

Everyone remember when Coach Bryant sued the Saturday Evening Post for "fixing" a game? We knew which play was coming due to the direction of the QBs leg before the snap.
What you are describing here is in-game work. What meatchicken is doing, and is expressly written out as a violation by the NZAA, is pre-scouting in person and recording the other team.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
IF the ncaa doesn’t come down extremely hard on meatchicken and the coaches involved, which is going to be all of them because if the info was used then the entire program bears some guilt for successes gained by gaining the info, then I think this will be the beginning of life support being removed for the ncaa as a governing body of college football. Programs aren’t going to stand by and let this not go unpunished.
Frankly the BIG10 brass could step up if they see the opportunity, to try and become the leading voice in rules enforcement and drop the hammer themselves. Presuming it will give them a leg up on being the entity in charge of the new college football world as it evolves out from under the ncaa.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What you are describing here is in-game work. What meatchicken is doing, and is expressly written out as a violation by the NZAA, is pre-scouting in person and recording the other team.
I think the point is it's an archaic rule in today's world and needs to go away.

I'm no Michigan fan, but goodness this is silly.

DEFUND THE NCAA!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
At first, I kind of took this as a “meh” type situation. Okay they are stealing signs. You’re getting sloppy by using the same things. Change it up.

But now, assuming these reports are true and given the elaborate extent this staffer went to “make it happen”, the more this really begins to stink. It’s one thing during the course of a game to “pick up something”. That is gamesmanship. Setting up an elaborate system of espionage on future opponents is another. And nothing this complicated happens without Coach Creepy Sleepover knowing.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think the point is it's an archaic rule in today's world and needs to go away.

I'm no Michigan fan, but goodness this is silly.

DEFUND THE NCAA!
I do not care what punishment they receive or if they receive punishment at all. The only interest I have in this ordeal is that it explains how a coach can go from almost fired several years into his tenure to back to back CFP appearances.

He had been at Michigan for 6 seasons. And he had finished no better than 10-3. And he had not yet beaten Ohio State. They were coming off a disaster of a 2020 season, which was Covid, and they clearly wanted to fire him. But due to the financial circumstances of the lockdown, they couldn't really afford it, and he had nowhere to go, so an arrangement is reached to have him take a pay cut.

How do you come off of that 6 year run to go 12-2, 13-1, two straight Big Ten titles, two straight Ohio State wins, two straight CFP appearances?

So now it is explained. I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh is in the NFL next season, though I realize he rubbed a lot of NFL people the wrong way during his San Francisco tenure.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The NCAA is so inconsistent that I doubt anything will come of this.
It still just aggravates me that Bama had to vacate 21 wins for a "textbook scandal".
I know it aggravates Ohio State fans that they vacated 11 wins for some players receiving tattoos for some OSU merchandise.
This is much worse... as far as competitive advantage. Plus it was done by coaching staff.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The NCAA is so inconsistent that I doubt anything will come of this.
Or michigan will get the death penalty. No blue font.

I'm not defending the fact that michigan broke the rules, but I am frustrated that the national communists against athletes are so hyper-focused on nailing Harbaugh for anything they can because he's embarrassed them that they're obsessing over this level of stupidity while allowing the sport we know and love to burn to the ground due to uncontrolled NIL and transfers - which they've allowed.

IOW, I don't care, screw the ncaa.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Here is where my mind goes on this whole topic and I've not seen it mentioned here.

Jim Harbaugh was on the brink of being fired a few years ago. The man took a pay cut to keep this job...

And miraculously, Michigan beats Ohio State the very next year and wins the Big Ten and goes to the playoff for the first time. And then they do it again the next year! Amazing!

I'm sure it is just a complete coincidence that all of this stuff started along about the same time.

Just like it is a complete coincidence that Clemson's rise and fall occurred along the same time that they allegedly began a sign stealing campaign and said campaign was discovered and dismantled.

It's bizarre.
Copied from Reddit:
"Jim Harbaugh went 2-4 in 2020, capping a 47-22 run (.681) over six years. Since @PeteThamel reported the Michigan allegations began in 2021, Michigan has gone 33-3 (.917). Conference record has improved from 34-16 (.680) to 22-1 (.956)"

As was noted, in 2020 there were no fans in the stadium at all...

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Even with all the allegations, they got manhandled when it mattered against Georgia in 21’ and outcoached immensely by TCU in 22’. Unless a NC is won, the NZAA probably slaps them on the hand

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Or michigan will get the death penalty. No blue font.

I'm not defending the fact that michigan broke the rules, but I am frustrated that the national communists against athletes are so hyper-focused on nailing Harbaugh for anything they can because he's embarrassed them that they're obsessing over this level of stupidity while allowing the sport we know and love to burn to the ground due to uncontrolled NIL and transfers - which they've allowed.

IOW, I don't care, screw the ncaa.
Reminds me of the Jerry Tarkanian quote-

“The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they’re going to give Cleveland State another year of probation.”

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads