JessN: Saban’s going nowhere, but we like for you to be prepared

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
It would be interesting to see who Saban has on his list as possible replacements. I imagine he updates it yearly. He is very detail oriented and meticulous with everything. Probably nobody else knows except maybe Greg Byrne.

Personally, right now my top 3 would be Dabo, Sark, Cristobal. I do think Saban will coach into his mid 70's unless a medical issue happens. There will probably be some names on the list by then that we have not even thought of yet.

Reactions: Con

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I love Mario but he has a cherry job at Oregon. So does Dabo. Don't see them coming to the pressure cooker. Sark, meeh, checkered past and not sure of recruiting prowess. Out on a limb here, I'd say we have at least 5 more years of his majesty before we have to find a new coach. Anything can happen. Heck, no one could see coach O winning a championship 2 years ago. Who ever the Nate Oats equivalent is in 2025 will be on our AD's radar. Hard to see it right now.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I know that Napier coached receivers here, but what is his specialty? Didn't he play qb at Furman?

I figure Coach is here another three or four years at least. The man doesn't look like he is quitting any time soon, but it is good to know there are some great candidates out there.

rtr

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I love Mario but he has a cherry job at Oregon. So does Dabo. Don't see them coming to the pressure cooker. Sark, meeh, checkered past and not sure of recruiting prowess. Out on a limb here, I'd say we have at least 5 more years of his majesty before we have to find a new coach. Anything can happen. Heck, no one could see coach O winning a championship 2 years ago. Who ever the Nate Oats equivalent is in 2025 will be on our AD's radar. Hard to see it right now.
Sark pulled “Tua 2.0” out of a USC commitment and the West Coast to come here. As far as talent recognition, who knows?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The thing about a Coach O, though, is that last season was something never seen before, and almost certainly won't be seen again. In other words, I don't see him winning another NC in his tenure there. I think he is much closer to Gene Chizik than Nick Saban. So I'd rather get a guy who has what it takes to do more than win one NC during his tenure.

Of course, those guys are exceedingly rare too.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
The thing about a Coach O, though, is that last season was something never seen before, and almost certainly won't be seen again. In other words, I don't see him winning another NC in his tenure there. I think he is much closer to Gene Chizik than Nick Saban. So I'd rather get a guy who has what it takes to do more than win one NC during his tenure.

Of course, those guys are exceedingly rare too.
I have to agree with this. Kudos to Coach O for last season, but I would be less surprised to see him out in 3-4 years like Chizik than to see him winning another title.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ed Orgeron is entering his 8th season in the SEC. His conference record is 26-28.
I don't think he's going to crash and burn like Chizik. LSU's recruiting base is too good. He's always going to have talent that ranks in the upper fourth of the conference every year. Nick Saban revived that pipeline, and it hasn't failed them yet. But he's never going 15-0 again. I'll wager he will never have another season better than 2 regular season losses. I could see him having a trajectory similar to Miles, depending on what we do post-Nick Saban.

He's a goofy hot head and that's never going to change. The highs can be really high, but the lows are going to hit, and hit often.

Reactions: B1GTide

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Billy Napier is looking like a viable option.
Yes, he’s on the radar now. Maybe on the periphery, whereas Pruitt and Cristobal are closer to the center. But that win on the road against a ranked team was impressive. They beat Iowa State down the second half, and I would have expected the oppposite.

Right now, though, it’s just one big win, and too early to say if it’s the turning point for his program, or Iowa State reverting to more normal Iowa State behavior.

So let’s see if he can build on it and get a few more against good teams.....or at least, teams that are generally believed to be good.

It’s light years from the University of Louisiana to the University of Alabama. I’m not at all sure which jump is greater — HC at UL to HC at Alabama, or big-time college coordinator to HC at Alabama. Legitimate points both ways, and I could argue myself into a circle on that one.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
It’s light years from the University of Louisiana to the University of Alabama. I’m not at all sure which jump is greater — HC at UL to HC at Alabama, or big-time college coordinator to HC at Alabama. Legitimate points both ways, and I could argue myself into a circle on that one.
Agreed, but I would tend to go with coordinator being the bigger jump, since at least at UL he was responsible for the entire program.

Now, I think if you have an established, long-time coordinator, a la Kirby (regardless of what he's done since leaving), that worked under the coach you never want to leave (Saban, Meyer for OSU, etc.) the coordinator route may be the way to go.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If Dabo wants to be considered in GOAT territory he will have to win a title at another school, because that list is very short. Jumping to Bama right after Saban undoubtedly gives him a massive head start in accomplishing that.

I have no idea as to the exte of Dabo’s ego or his desire to be considered the GOAT, I was just tossing an odd reason to leave Clemson.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If Dabo wants to be considered in GOAT territory he will have to win a title at another school, because that list is very short. Jumping to Bama right after Saban undoubtedly gives him a massive head start in accomplishing that.

I have no idea as to the exte of Dabo’s ego or his desire to be considered the GOAT, I was just tossing an odd reason to leave Clemson.
I’m not sure how you come up with that. Some guy named Bryant won six at one school.