UFL (A J McCarron's Team)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It was a fun season. I got to attend the Washington vs Michigan game. Fun, and I did not need to sell a kidney to get tickets. ($25/ticket, 50 yard line upper level)
Congrats to Birmingham. I'm not sure if Birmingham three-peating is good for the UFL, but it was fun to watch.
Some closing observations on this league.
I like the way they do replay. Hearing the audio between the replay official and the official on the field helps. Transparency is awesome.
I like the fact that you get to listen in on conversations between the coach and QB. It is fun to hear those conversations.
I like the 1, 2, or 3 point play after TDs. It keeps games interesting.
At Michigan vs DC, each side had 40 players. They are not even two deep at every position. Everyone earns $50k, so salary costs are manageable.

I hope they play again next year.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
It was a fun season. I got to attend the Washington vs Michigan game. Fun, and I did not need to sell a kidney to get tickets. ($25/ticket, 50 yard line upper level)
Congrats to Birmingham. I'm not sure if Birmingham three-peating is good for the UFL, but it was fun to watch.
Some closing observations on this league.
I like the way they do replay. Hearing the audio between the replay official and the official on the field helps. Transparency is awesome.
I like the fact that you get to listen in on conversations between the coach and QB. It is fun to hear those conversations.
I like the 1, 2, or 3 point play after TDs. It keeps games interesting.
At Michigan vs DC, each side had 40 players. They are not even two deep at every position. Everyone earns $50k, so salary costs are manageable.

I hope they play again next year.
50,000 a season?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
"As of April 2024, players in the United Football League (UFL) earn a salary of $50,000 plus a weekly housing stipend of $400. The housing stipend begins at the end of training camp and lasts for a minimum of 10 weeks. Players on playoff teams may receive an additional one to two weeks of housing depending on how far their team advances. Taxes are deducted from the housing stipend."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This year the UFL did something different from what the XFL did last year. Last year, the kickoff team lined up on the receiving team's 35 and the receiving team lined up on the 30, to the two sides were only 5 yards apart. Limited head-on collisions between ground men running at full speed.
The kick had to land between the 20 and the goal line or the receiving team got the ball at the 40.

The UFL this year used a traditional kickoff, but the kicker would tee it up at the 20. This meant no fair catches in the end zone and most drives started around the 35 or 40.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
It was a fun game. Something clearly clicked for Birmingham during halftime--they marched straight down for a TD and never looked back.

Garbers may be done. That shot of teammates yelling at him on the bench after that 3rd down slide was NOT a good look.

Reactions: Tidelines

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Biggest negative I see in the UFL is the WR not making catches. There is a reason they didn't make NFL squads. QB play was just average also, but it was enjoyable to me overall for this time of year.

Reactions: Con

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Biggest negative I see in the UFL is the WR not making catches. There is a reason they didn't make NFL squads. QB play was just average also, but it was enjoyable to me overall for this time of year.
There was a TE on AJ's team, number 88, named Butler, I think who has a shot at the NFL. He is 6' 6", a little on the lean side for a TE, but big guy, good hands.
But generally, yes, the wide receivers in this league showed why they are not in the NFL.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
My youngest read a stat to me that seems almost impossible.

In 17 years in the NFL, Larry Fitzgerald had a total of 29 drops.

Can that be right?

Reactions: Tidelines

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Arguably the worst time imaginable to make a “business decision.”
I'm not sure he was making a business decision. I think he was not tracking where the first down marker was, but if he was "making a business decision," it seems he was making a decision to get out of football, because nobody is going to seek his services.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I'm not sure he was making a business decision. I think he was not tracking where the first down marker was, but if he was "making a business decision," it seems he was making a decision to get out of football, because nobody is going to seek his services.
I get QBs are taught to slide to avoid injury but at that point in the game there you eat the contact IMO.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I get QBs are taught to slide to avoid injury but at that point in the game there you eat the contact IMO.
I think he just mis-timed it, but his performance otherwise was so poor, I do not see an NFL team interested in him, even as a second backup and I'm not sure his UFL team will want him back next year.
San Antonio's backup who came in for him, actually looked better than the Brahmas' starter. Too little too late.

Reactions: Con

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I do like the super challenge rule where you get one a game and can have them review no calls (pass interference, hands to the face, etc).
I agree. I think maybe this is a function of adopting college clock rules. The clock seems to run continuously during a drive, even when the ball or the ball carrier goes out of bounds. Continuous clock means a shorter game, which frees up a little time for a superchallenge. I bet the Saints wish they could have had a superchallenge a few years ago against the Rams.

Reactions: mikeua69

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Birmingham wanted this matchup with how much nonsense San Antonio talked about Week 9 being an indication that they were the much better team
When they played, Birmingham was still adjusting to losing their longtime defensive coach and multiple injuries. When Wade boasted it gave them more than enough motivation for sure.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I think the bigger concern is on Garcia and the Rock’s side of the ownership dialing back their involvement. There was talk of expansion and moving Michigan and Arlington to different locations then all of the sudden things halted a few weeks later after rumors started about the involvement from the XFL side of the merger.

IDK I think we get a year 2 if FOX and ESPN stay committed
Year 2 has already been announced.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads