JessN: Vanderbilt wrap-up: An inexcusable loss, but a loss UA must bounce back from

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
We were there....the discipline and effort Vandy played with was better than Bama's. This wasnt a fluke, this was a well earned win. Key plays were well-designed, and we could not defend them...they went 12-16 or something like that on 3rd down for a reason. Hard work and coaching beat us today. I hope this humbles quite a few players..Vandy earned this.
The way Moore acted at the end I don't think he knows the definition of humble.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
The next game I coach will be my first. Fortunately, I don't have to be a coach to have a reasoned opinion. This is TideFANS after all - a site "by the fans, for the fans" so let me be a clear voice of BamaNation fandom today ...

This is the type of loss that, if the discipline and lack of focus issues are not corrected TODAY, will have much broader ramifications beyond athletics. UA over the last 17 years has become one of the desired destinations for top students across America. Nick Saban was a large reason for that in leading The University to be excellent in all things. It continues that progress on the academic side. But, losing to Vanderbilt is not excellent. Nothing about yesterday speaks to excellence. Kicking a ball after it is placed is not excellent. Acting a fool on the field is not excellent. Taunting when you're down 20 points is not excellent. Not making adjustments to your plan is not excellent. Having duplicate numbers on the field is not excellent. There are no acceptable excuses. The process will happen or those not getting on board with excellence (whoever they may be) need to be processed.

I think those trying to minimize this loss or compare it to Saban's La Monroe loss don't understand this or, more likely, are in denial. There were maybe 5-10 guys on that team that could be on the 4-deep roster on this team. We're loaded with talent now. We may not be loaded with leadership. We'll see in how players and coaches respond starting TODAY. Sure, they want to win but do they want to do what it takes to win EVERY week? Not sure yet.

We are loaded with fans and the fans will be watching closely because they want us to be part of the process (read: shell out $$$ for NIL payouts). You/they/we may not like how this is phrased but it is a transactional sport now. Thus, TODAY is an important day for what is to come.

Good news is that we're 6 weeks into a 12-week regular season, have a 4-1 record and lots of opportunities in front of us to step up and become excellent. But proper game planning, execution, and leadership has to be there first. JessN predicted a 10-2 season for us. That is still probably the expectation. Losing to Vandy wasn't in that calculation so now we need to win out to make a playoff run IMHO.

Anything else and we'll be playing a directional school in late-December in a not great place.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
inexcusable is right.

This is the worst Alabama loss I can recall and I'm getting up there in years now. Losing to Vandy just isn't acceptable - ever...
And it isnt becos of their history losing to Bama.

Its becos their recruiting ranking even with transfers for last 5 years would be quite low compared to Bama

Horrible schemes and even softer play from our hiigher recruting classes

Rocky Mtn Bob

3rd Team
Jan 2, 2024
7,400 ft in the Rockies
... let me be a clear voice of BamaNation fandom today ...

... be excellent in all things....

... You/they/we may not like how this is phrased but it is a transactional sport now. Thus, TODAY is an important day for what is to come....
BN, your entire post is on-point(s). My snipping of it should not take away a single point. I just didn't want to re-post the whole ... excellent ... post.

Well done, sir.

Scobaman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2010
This may not be the worst Bama loss I have ever seen but it may have been the worst overall effort (this was not a defensive or offensive loss but a total team loss}. Every part of the team contributed. We started the game by spotting them 14 points, then playing poorly to compound the lack of effort. You can say the breaks went against us, but good teams overcome that. It looked like we were spending too much effort trying to rake the ball away from ball carriers and not putting enough effort into knocking them to the ground. Getting a turnover can be great but let us keep the first thing first and the first thing is knocking someone down so that the play is over.
Go back and think about how many times you saw a wad of players standing upright while their running backs step by step picked up another yard or two or three and the defense side stepped along with them. If one guy has the ball carrier by the ankles, he is not moving forward. Maybe it is not that simple, but it seems pretty basic.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads