News Article: Wake Forest to Buy Out Ole Miss Rather Than Honor Return Game

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
https://wakeforest.rivals.com/news/wake-forest-won-t-make-return-trip-to-ole-miss

https://sports.yahoo.com/wake-forest-replaces-canceled-trip-155202605.html?

I think this may be the beginning of a major trend. The SEC may have to look long and hard at agreeing to schedule ACC teams in the future. I can understand buying out a game for good reason but to accept a series and after and SEC school buys out your season ticket package for the year and sells out your stadium for the game, you refuse to honor your agreement? I know you are living up to the letter of your contract but definitely not the spirit. I think the ACC office should have put the screws to Wake unless FSU and Clemson are happy not playing big time opponents anymore.

I believe there may be some "Natives are Restless" grassroots push-back at what College Football and Pay for Play is and has become. I believe there are jealous admins and faculty of Universities that are not really happy with having to pretend to teach millionaire professional sports players, while these same school employees make pennies.

Anyone have any inside on what's going on here?

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
https://wakeforest.rivals.com/news/wake-forest-won-t-make-return-trip-to-ole-miss

https://sports.yahoo.com/wake-forest-replaces-canceled-trip-155202605.html?

I think this may be the beginning of a major trend. The SEC may have to look long and hard at agreeing to schedule ACC teams in the future. I can understand buying out a game for good reason but to accept a series and after and SEC school buys out your season ticket package for the year and sells out your stadium for the game, you refuse to honor your agreement? I know you are living up to the letter of your contract but definitely not the spirit. I think the ACC office should have put the screws to Wake unless FSU and Clemson are happy not playing big time opponents anymore.

I believe there may be some "Natives are Restless" grassroots push-back at what College Football and Pay for Play is and has become. I believe there are jealous admins and faculty of Universities that are not really happy with having to pretend to teach millionaire professional sports players, while these same school employees make pennies.

Anyone have any inside on what's going on here?
I can't say I have the inside dish on this, but the optics are really bad. Looks to me like they just don't want to have to take a good ole country ass whoopin. I imagine I'm not the only one walking away with that impression.

Reactions: dtgreg

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
I can't say I have the inside dish on this, but the optics are really bad. Looks to me like they just don't want to have to take a good ole country ass whoopin. I imagine I'm not the only one walking away with that impression.
I'm unable to find the quote, so maybe I made it up in my head, but I at least thought I heard a talking head quote the AD from Wake say "We don't pay players and we don't want to play teams that do".

• Wow

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
I'm unable to find the quote, so maybe I made it up in my head, but I at least thought I heard a talking head quote the AD from Wake say "We don't pay players and we don't want to play teams that do".
Frankly, that sounds like the type of virtuous grandstanding I've come to expect from modern society. It's BS, of course. He can prove he's serious by leaving the conference. Otherwise, people are going to interpret that statement exactly like we did.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
Frankly, that sounds like the type of virtuous grandstanding I've come to expect from modern society. It's BS, of course. He can prove he's serious by leaving the conference. Otherwise, people are going to interpret that statement exactly like we did.
I mean, I know Lane Kiffin is the most unlovable character in the world and Sankey my personally despise him and secretly delight in his troubles but as the Commish of the SEC I don't see how he can let this go.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.