Week 3 Alabama @ Wisconsin (Weekly Game Discussion)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don't know about that. We are 15.5 point favorites in their house. This will be the game of the century for them so I expect it to be tight for 3 quarters. Hope you are right and I'm wrong though.
We have such limited data right now to judge anything on.

But Wisc in 2023 was pretty solid as a Defensive team.

They were 41st in Rush Defense (Bama was 33rd)
They were 39th in Pass Defense (Bama was 24th)
They were 39th in Total Defense (Bama was 18th)
They were 21st in Scoring Defense (Bama was 16th)

Now the SEC is usually a better Conference Top to Bottom than the B1G because of Talent but there wasn't a massive chasm of difference in National Rankings there with them having less talented players.

Fickell is a very good Defensive mind and he coaches fundamentally sound Defenses.

They probably do not have the Offensive Talent to get the best of our Defense but with a LOUD home crowd I can see their defense giving our Offense enough problems to give us a competitive game.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I'd like to see us go run-heavy on offense and wear them out with long, sustained drives. Play-action passes once the running game is established.

But I don't think that's CKD's style.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
They are run heavy and limited in the passing game. We have a big edge in athletism and speed. However, you have to use it to succeed. It will be a grinding type game i think. Cant wait for jump around though! one of the best traditions in all of college football

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Fickell will have them ready and I'm sure he will want to slow the game down. They will be fundamentally sound, ball control conservative offense with a great D. The crowd will be a factor. Now, we will have to start quick and score early/often to get them out of this game plan. That's as far as I have gotten so far.

Reactions: Windsortide

BamaHoopsBoi

Scout Team
Apr 7, 2023
Think we will be okay. USF for whatever reason has our number. Let's heal up and see how well we play

Reactions: Con

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
I am curious to see if we will blitz more as the year goes on. Or if the DLine continues to pressure at a level we won’t need to send 5 or 6 to get effect the QB.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'd like to see us go run-heavy on offense and wear them out with long, sustained drives. Play-action passes once the running game is established.
I'd love this because it would show Bama can do long, sustained drives. Haven't seen much of that so far this (short) season. I love explosive plays but being able to impose your will is also demoralizing and keeps the defense from getting gassed.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I wonder if anyone has looked into this, but have we actually had a conventional 70-80 yard, 10-15 play drive where we had to convert 2 or 3 third downs to keep the drive alive???

I honestly can't think of one time we've driven the field with the 1's and scored a TD like this in the first two games.

IMO, Wisky playing a bend but don't break defense might be their best approach because this offense hasn't proven it can consistently move the ball without the help of big, explosive plays.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I wonder if anyone has looked into this, but have we actually had a conventional 70-80 yard, 10-15 play drive where we had to convert 2 or 3 third downs to keep the drive alive???

I honestly can't think of one time we've driven the field with the 1's and scored a TD like this in the first two games.

IMO, Wisky playing a bend but don't break defense might be their best approach because this offense hasn't proven it can consistently move the ball without the help of big, explosive plays.
I don’t think so. We scored every 4 plays against WKU when Milroe was in. I don’t seem to remember any long, sustained drives against USF either.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

You blitz him until he proves he can defeat it three times.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads