ACC and PAC 12 Demise seems close (FSU officially stating intentions to fight ACC Grant of Rights… Clemson sues the ACC)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I saw some bluster yesterday evening that the Big Ten has "approved" Washington and Oregon for membership. Not that they have extended an invitation, simply that the league presidents approve of inviting them should the Big Ten choose to.

So the Pac 12/10 is dead as well. At that point, the Big 12 will scoop up the Arizona schools, Colorado, and perhaps Utah, as they have been begging them to join for over a year now.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I saw some bluster yesterday evening that the Big Ten has "approved" Washington and Oregon for membership. Not that they have extended an invitation, simply that the league presidents approve of inviting them should the Big Ten choose to.

So the Pac 12/10 is dead as well. At that point, the Big 12 will scoop up the Arizona schools, Colorado, and perhaps Utah, as they have been begging them to join for over a year now.
I think everyone sees that there are only 2 leagues and everyone else is going to lose a bunch of money and power

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Does the SEC take all 7 of these losers? Are they moving in a block or simply trying to through their collective weight around enough that they can break the unbreakable vow and get out of the league and then its every ACC team for itself?
no. I think the battle for Virginia and North Carolina will be the big battle between the two super conferences. I still think Miami and VT are the less desirables out of the 7. So I believe Clemson and FSU will be the late additions to our conference.

But Virginia and North Carolina are probably our #1 and #2.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
My opinion may be a minority one, but having away football games you have to repeatedly fly across the entire country for will end up withering the on-campus experience, wear out the players/staff, and may end up killing college football more than any other change.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My opinion may be a minority one, but having away football games you have to repeatedly fly across the entire country for will end up withering the on-campus experience, wear out the players/staff, and may end up killing college football more than any other change.
Consider also the other sports, which play several more games per season.

The SEC's approach is viable. At least so far, we have not added any schools outside the southeast region (arguments could be made about Oklahoma, I realize). But the Big Ten adding west coast teams is going to create a strain these other sports cannot manage.

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
That's why I think the SEC will be better off in the long term with its expansions. The SEC was able to add 2 powerhouse teams without expanding outside of its current footprint and if it did expand with any of these ACC teams it won't be a major hassle for the teams to travel. In contrast the BIG 10 teams has to travel from New Jersey to California and possible Oregon and Washington and it will be done without geographic contiguity.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Consider also the other sports, which play several more games per season.

The SEC's approach is viable. At least so far, we have not added any schools outside the southeast region (arguments could be made about Oklahoma, I realize). But the Big Ten adding west coast teams is going to create a strain these other sports cannot manage.
Wasn't the demise of the old WAC because of travel? That conference stretched from Louisiana to Hawaii.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
UVA likely sees themselves as a better fit with the BIG than SEC for academic reasons/perceptions as well as non-revenue sports like soccer and lacrosse.

As for football, which is the driving force in all this realignment talk, VA Tech has probably a 2-1 advantage in terms of football interest/viewership compared to UVA in the state.

That said, I'd love to be able to make the 90 minute trek to Charlottesville every few years to watch Bama smash the Cavs to a pulp.

Reactions: VirginiaTide57

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
UVA likely sees themselves as a better fit with the BIG than SEC for academic reasons/perceptions as well as non-revenue sports like soccer and lacrosse.

As for football, which is the driving force in all this realignment talk, VA Tech has probably a 2-1 advantage in terms of football interest/viewership compared to UVA in the state.

That said, I'd love to be able to make the 90 minute trek to Charlottesville every few years to watch Bama smash the Cavs to a pulp.
Currently, all that about Virginia might be true, but I'm fairly confident being the SEC would not only be a financial windfall but that they'd show fast improvement in football with an increased ability to recruit in the greater Washington DC area.

Plus imagine the spotlight on games like Virginia hosting teams like Bama, Texas, Georgia, Florida etc???

Personally, because of where I live now, I wish the SEC could figure out a path for both Virginia and Va. Teck. along with NC and NC State! If we are going to have a mass expansion, Clemson and FSU probably make sense too.

Reactions: CarolinaCrimson

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
Currently, all that about Virginia might be true, but I'm fairly confident being the SEC would not only be a financial windfall but that they'd show fast improvement in football with an increased ability to recruit in the greater Washington DC area.

Plus imagine the spotlight on games like Virginia hosting teams like Bama, Texas, Georgia, Florida etc???

Personally, because of where I live now, I wish the SEC could figure out a path for both Virginia and Va. Teck. along with NC and NC State! If we are going to have a mass expansion, Clemson and FSU probably make sense too.
If the SEC could get Notre Dame along with these 7 schools I don't see how even the BIG 10 could be viewed as equal.

Now I'm not saying I want the SEC to add all of them, but if they were to go for those 6 why not add Miami or another school along with Notre Dame to get to 24 and it could all be done without over extending travel for the teams.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Yeah but Virginia Tech would quickly become a Vanderbilt type program and never be able to compete. UVA offers more as a program than VT. Larger fanbase and more sports. There is a reason that Missouri was chosen over Virgina Tech, and why Virgina Tech is worried about losing UVA to a big conference.

Basically they are Okie Lite... But worse.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If the SEC could get Notre Dame along with these 7 schools I don't see how even the BIG 10 could be viewed as equal.

Now I'm not saying I want the SEC to add all of them, but if they were to go for those 6 why not add Miami or another school along with Notre Dame to get to 24 and it could all be done without over extending travel for the teams.
Might as well. The only truly big play left is Notre Dame. I think all of these moves going on now are an effort to reel them in.

Reactions: CB4 and Tidelines

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Yeah but Virginia Tech would quickly become a Vanderbilt type program and never be able to compete. UVA offers more as a program than VT. Larger fanbase and more sports. There is a reason that Missouri was chosen over Virgina Tech, and why Virgina Tech is worried about losing UVA to a big conference.

Basically they are Okie Lite... But worse.
Outside Vanderbilt, UVA thinks the SEC is a bunch of sub-par academic institutions (fair or unfair) and VT has a much larger football fan base than UVA. It's really not even close...and even the UVA fans who follow the football team really don't care about it.

UVA's approach to football is like a wine and cheese social.

Plus, they are really into sports like soccer and lacrosse, and there's no such presence in the SEC like there is in the BIG.

Also, I think the PTB in Virginia would likely require that UVA and Tech go as a package deal wherever they end up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.