Link: Alabama launches partnership with Fanatics (NiL) for players to sell merchandise.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is above board and BIG TIME. Brand name autographed merchandise from current players? Poor folks around the stadium just lost a lot of money.

Saban warned them.
Good for them. It’s about time they put the EBay vultures out of business.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Ugh, Fanatics. The worst sport memorabilia company on the planet. They've created a virtual monopoly where almost every sport memorabilia website is run by Fanatics. This keeps prices high and the quality of actual Fanatics brand items is crap. My Braves WS champs Fanatics branded t-shirt shrunk almost 2 sizes worth after about 3 washes.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Ugh, Fanatics. The worst sport memorabilia company on the planet. They've created a virtual monopoly where almost every sport memorabilia website is run by Fanatics. This keeps prices high and the quality of actual Fanatics brand items is crap. My Braves WS champs Fanatics branded t-shirt shrunk almost 2 sizes worth after about 3 washes.
Are you sure the shirt shrunk and you didn't get bigger?
Just messing with you. Mine shrunk too.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So now one company gets all the $ instead of all the different eBay users. Yeah, much better.
As someone who is a collector and has sold and had to deal with autographs for an income I can tell you that this makes me happy. Sure I feel bad for the kid who wants a street autograph from his favorite Bama player but there are far more 40 to 50 year old men harassing a guy walking with his family for an autograph because they want to sell it for 30x above its actual value.

Reactions: BamaDenver

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Speaking of the right way ,latu signed a deal with Levis

these big national NIL deals are what will keep Bama winning

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As someone who is a collector and has sold and had to deal with autographs for an income I can tell you that this makes me happy. Sure I feel bad for the kid who wants a street autograph from his favorite Bama player but there are far more 40 to 50 year old men harassing a guy walking with his family for an autograph because they want to sell it for 30x above its actual value.
I am an avid football/Baseball card collector and this particular market is severely dried up. Most real collectors no longer buy an item on ebay (from an individual) claiming the card/ball/helmet he's trying to sell is authentic. Granted, I'm sure you have some suckers still left out there, but the bulk of the trading card market no longer buys this type of stuff.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am an avid football/Baseball card collector and this particular market is severely dried up. Most real collectors no longer buy an item on ebay (from an individual) claiming the card/ball/helmet he's trying to sell is authentic. Granted, I'm sure you have some suckers still left out there, but the bulk of the trading card market no longer buys this type of stuff.
More or less I go to signing events and TTM. Only eBay signatures I get are topps certified or equivalent signatures.

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This is above board and BIG TIME. Brand name autographed merchandise from current players? Poor folks around the stadium just lost a lot of money.
I always thought that was bad form anyway. To take a football to A-Day (or use some other opportunity) to get a player to sign it, only to turn around and sell that item on the secondary market always struck me as a little sleazy.
If you want Julio to sign your Bama baseball cap as a memento, that is one thing. To sell that cap is another (in my view).
That is probably just me, though.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
When I was in Ireland, I bought an autographed photo of Saint Patrick for $10. Great deal.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Saban has spoken on creating for values for yourself over the years... This is classical example of creating a value for yourself on and off the field. Do that and you shall be rewarded.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I always thought that was bad form anyway. To take a football to A-Day (or use some other opportunity) to get a player to sign it, only to turn around and sell that item on the secondary market always struck me as a little sleazy.
If you want Julio to sign your Bama baseball cap as a memento, that is one thing. To sell that cap is another (in my view).
That is probably just me, though.
I’ve been to one Saban era fan day and 90% of them that I met were either there for a free Saban autograph or to get some autographs to sell. Honestly I’m happy the “running of the gumps” tradition is over because it just shows how desperate many of our fans either wanna turn a Buck or have 45 minutes on the BDS grass.

Latest threads