Alabama QBs in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's early. I know.

But reading the post-game thread I'm reading a lot of the feelings I've had all year long.

Up front: I think JM is an amazing young man. Very personable and the kind of guy you want to be the face of the program. He's grown in a lot of areas, but here's where I am with him as QB.

I don't feel one or two exceptional plays a game with your legs justifies getting to touch the ball at QB every play. If JM wants to run the ball he should get in line behind a fine group of young running backs who are being held back because we have no drop back passing game to keep defenses honest.

I'm not saying I don't believe JM can't be QB next year. I'm just saying if he wants to be QB he needs to learn how to be a QB. Learn how to hit a seam route. Learn how to throw a slant pass to an exceptional receiver who's running full speed. Learn how to notice zone coverages. Learn how to throw on time when the receiver breaks (not waiting until he's covered). So many more things!

We don't know who will be there to challenge him this fall. Only one we know for sure is the next great one so JM needs to keep a close check on him because I guarantee you he can already do those things better than Milroe. He's a dart thrower and I guarantee you he thinks he can probably start next year after what he saw tonight.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Has the potential to be 2017 all over again. Unless JM really develops into a QB that can make your play calling more diverse, he is what he is and that will give you trouble when you run into a team that knows how to completely shut you down

Reactions: bamajas

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Milroe should spend some time in the offseason with Lamar Jackson, very similar game and Lamar had issues at least in the NFL early on as a passer and now he’s among the NFL’s elite in that aspect.

He has all the tools but still a lot to work on.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Really depends on how hard Milroe works in the off season. If I were Saban I would tell him exactly where he needs to improve to remain the starting QB. If he feels like he is above competition, let him leave.
Milroe's vision, decision making and mechanics.....he can fix his mechanics with work, but the other stuff I'm not so sure. I'd imagine Sayin already is ahead of him on vision and decision making.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We have to have a more consistent passing game next year. Idc how it happens. I definitely wouldn't complain if it was Milroe who improved because his legs are a great threat to have.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Milroe should spend some time in the offseason with Lamar Jackson, very similar game and Lamar had issues at least in the NFL early on as a passer and now he’s among the NFL’s elite in that aspect.

He has all the tools but still a lot to work on.
He's not Lamar. Lamar is a freak. Lamar is a more fluid runner with more wiggle and also can make crazy off platform throws.

This isn't me hating on Milroe, Lamar is just special

bamajas

1st Team
Oct 5, 2005
Jasper, AL
Really depends on how hard Milroe works in the off season. If I were Saban I would tell him exactly where he needs to improve to remain the starting QB. If he feels like he is above competition, let him leave.
Betcha Saban has already told him exactly where to improve ... the same stuff that drew the competition out so long is what bit him tonight.

Basic QB-ing. Do you know what defense they're in? Can you read the field quickly? Can you run where the play is called to go? There are probably hundreds of QBs on rosters right now who can do those things instinctively. Difference is few (or none) have the big-play ability and athleticism as he does. If he can just add the basics, he'll be unstoppable. But it feels concerning to expect him to learn in 6-9 months what almost every QB is expected to start with

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
No, he needs to work with a real QB coach.
The thing that concerns me the most is something that seems innate with most great QBs is he just doesn't see things like very good QBs do. He can't even read the defensive end on the RPO, which is the most simple read in football. And the vision issues just get worse as he scans the field for passing. When guys are wide open he waits (sometimes 2 or 3 seconds) before he releases the pass and very often by then the defender has recovered.

CNS uses the analogy that a QB is like a point guard and he has to distribute the ball to the play makers. But what do all great point guards have the innate ability to do? See things peripherally and even before they develop. It's like they are a second or two ahead of the defense. But JM seems to be a second or two behind.

Mechanics need to be corrected, but the vision and timing issues we are talking about are deep, fundamental flaws. I'm not sure how you fix that.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
It's early. I know.

But reading the post-game thread I'm reading a lot of the feelings I've had all year long.

Up front: I think JM is an amazing young man. Very personable and the kind of guy you want to be the face of the program. He's grown in a lot of areas, but here's where I am with him as QB.

I don't feel one or two exceptional plays a game with your legs justifies getting to touch the ball at QB every play. If JM wants to run the ball he should get in line behind a fine group of young running backs who are being held back because we have no drop back passing game to keep defenses honest.

I'm not saying I don't believe JM can't be QB next year. I'm just saying if he wants to be QB he needs to learn how to be a QB. Learn how to hit a seam route. Learn how to throw a slant pass to an exceptional receiver who's running full speed. Learn how to notice zone coverages. Learn how to throw on time when the receiver breaks (not waiting until he's covered). So many more things!

We don't know who will be there to challenge him this fall. Only one we know for sure is the next great one so JM needs to keep a close check on him because I guarantee you he can already do those things better than Milroe. He's a dart thrower and I guarantee you he thinks he can probably start next year after what he saw tonight.
I'm hoping Lonfergan and Simpson will opt to wait until the spring to transfer. Let's have a QB battle between the 3 and see who comes out on top!. Just hopefully let's not drag it into September again.

Milroe has come a long way since September, and he's a much better QB than he was, but I don't know that he's done enough to guarantee himself the job next year. The problem tonight was not so much his play, but that Michigan did not see him as much of a threat through the air, so they were able to just send the house. Now maybe he does end up being our best option next year, but I gotta say, I'd be a little disappointed if there weren't even a QB competition at all

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The thing that concerns me the most is something that seems innate with most great QBs is he just doesn't see things like very good QBs do. He can't even read the defensive end on the RPO, which is the most simple read in football. And the vision issues just get worse as he scans the field for passing. When guys are wide open he waits (sometimes 2 or 3 seconds) before he releases the pass and very often by then the defender has recovered.

CNS uses the analogy that a QB is like a point guard and he has to distribute the ball to the play makers. But what do all great point guards have the innate ability to do? See things peripherally and even before they develop. It's like they are a second or two ahead of the defense. But JM seems to be a second or two behind.

Mechanics need to be corrected, but we are talking about a deep, fundamental flaw. I'm not sure how you fix that.
If it can't be fixed then expect another lost season next year. The players picked Milroe this year - not Saban.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I'm hoping Lonfergan and Simpson will opt to wait until the spring to transfer. Let's have a QB battle between the 3 and see who comes out on top!. Just hopefully let's not drag it into September again.

Milroe has come a long way since September, and he's a much better QB than he was, but I don't know that he's done enough to guarantee himself the job next year. The problem tonight was not so much his play, but that Michigan did not see him as much of a threat through the air, so they were able to just send the house. Now maybe he does end up being our best option next year, but I gotta say, I'd be a little disappointed if there weren't even a QB competition at all
Waiting to transfer just really isn’t an option the way they have it now. It could cost them spring practice and potentially millions in NIL deals. That’s a reality and why many of us are just spent over the whole system.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If it can't be fixed then expect another lost season next year. The players picked Milroe this year - not Saban.
The players also revolted (along with OC) when they had a #2 QB named Tua who was a dart thrower.

All four of those guys went to the NFL because Tua could hit the key hole.

So, if JM doesn't improve and there's a guy who can hit them in time and in the numbers it'll get real interesting next year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Simpson is more than likely transferring leaving Milroe, Lonergan, Sayin and Holstein. My guess is Milroe and Lonergan will be the two batting for any type of real QB competition. Milroe needs to watch a crap load of tape this offseason, get plugged into the best QB coach he can find and get better at reading defenses, pre-snap reads, and decision making during plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.