BREAKING Conferences + Notre Dame agree in principle to new CFP 12-team (and possibly 14-team) playoff format

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
" All nine FBS conferences and Notre Dame have agreed to the next College Football Playoff contract, which will begin in 2026 and bring the sport's postseason much closer to an expected 14-team field with guarantees for conference champions. "

Reactions: dtgreg

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
" With those ironclad guarantees, the other commissioners and Notre Dame leadership surrendered the bulk of the control over the format to the SEC and Big Ten as "part of the give-and-take," according to a source. "

So the takeaway from this is that big bad bullies SEC & Big10 ARE the big dogs in this fight and that everybody else realizes not getting on board means they get left with zippo.

Well done, Commish Sankey & friend(s).

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
“The commissioners and Notre Dame agreed that the conference champions from the ACC, Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 and the highest-ranked Group of 5 champion would earn playoff berths, and Notre Dame will have protections that will survive regardless of the ultimate format.”

Why?

I‘m so sick of ND being treated like some kind of sacred cow.

Join a conference you bunch of has-been also-ran stuff shirts.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
" All nine FBS conferences and Notre Dame have agreed to the next College Football Playoff contract, which will begin in 2026 and bring the sport's postseason much closer to an expected 14-team field with guarantees for conference champions. "

I think ND plans to be in the Big 12 before then.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
“The commissioners and Notre Dame agreed that the conference champions from the ACC, Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 and the highest-ranked Group of 5 champion would earn playoff berths, and Notre Dame will have protections that will survive regardless of the ultimate format.”

Why?

I‘m so sick of ND being treated like some kind of sacred cow.

Join a conference you bunch of has-been also-ran stuff shirts.
Meh, doesn’t really bother me. It’s part of the quirkiness of college football that makes it college football. Or used to. It’s not like ND is doing anything with their independent position. The professionalization of college football is turning it into a bland , corrupt copy of the pros, which I am much more concerned about.

I know a lot of posters and especially older posters have a beef with ND dating back to the 60s and the preferential treatment they got and the games they beat us in, but that’s gone now. Like rain in the mountains.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Meh, doesn’t really bother me. It’s part of the quirkiness of college football that makes it college football. Or used to. It’s not like ND is doing anything with their independent position. The professionalization of college football is turning it into a bland , corrupt copy of the pros, which I am much more concerned about.

I know a lot of posters and especially older posters have a beef with ND dating back to the 60s and the preferential treatment they got and the games they beat us in, but that’s gone now. Like rain in the mountains.
Nah, the hate is still deep within me :D

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Why not do 16 teams? This is so stupid. Once you've decided 12 is not enough, just round it off at 16 and be done with it. No byes. Guaranteed berths for champions of SEC, B1G, ACC, Big 12, and highest ranked G5. Then, the other 11 highest ranked teams regardless of conference. Seed them by ranking - conference championship guarantees NOTHING other than a playoff berth.

K.I.S.S.

This is a clown show, run by clowns. Sankey included. Yes... he's savvy enough to have locked down billions in revenue. But he is part of the conglomerate that has ruined this sport.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Why not do 16 teams? This is so stupid. Once you've decided 12 is not enough, just round it off at 16 and be done with it. No byes. Guaranteed berths for champions of SEC, B1G, ACC, Big 12, and highest ranked G5. Then, the other 11 highest ranked teams regardless of conference. Seed them by ranking - conference championship guarantees NOTHING other than a playoff berth.

K.I.S.S.

This is a clown show, run by clowns. Sankey included. Yes... he's savvy enough to have locked down billions in revenue. But he is part of the conglomerate that has ruined this sport.
I disagree a little bit. By having a few byes you keep some games that might otherwise become irrelevant, relevant.

Reactions: colbysullivan

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

K.I.S.S.

yep.

They create complexity so they can seem to be the only ones who really know what's going on.

Here's the easy answer: Expand to 16 teams. top 2 from each of the Power 4 and next best 8 teams. Eliminate one home game during regular season for P4 teams so college guys aren't playing NFL schedules. Max # games a team plays should never be more than 15. Players should be unionized and paid a union salary. No more collectives. If they can get TRUE NIL deals so be it but collectives should be banned.

Change the 85 players on scholarship limit to 100. If you want to play D1 ball you MUST have 100 on scholly+union salary at all times. Walkons must get the union salary (but not scholarship), as well. If you're on the team you get paid.

Put football people in charge of football things. Let the lawyers and pointy heads review everything but they certainly shouldn't run things.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.