Link: Josh Pate and Cole Cubelic Discuss Bama's Coaching Hires.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I’ve love re-watching games starting around this time of year and leading up to the season and I’ve been re-watching the 2016 season. That was a really good team that is sort of a forgotten team.

It’s amazing how well we ran the ball when everyone knew we were going to run the ball with a freshman running QB. We had some talent in the backfield for sure with Damien Harris, Scarborough and Jacobs, but we might have as much talent this year as well. I look forward to shifting back towards an offense that won us at least 4 of the 6 titles. I think Cubelic’s comment about maintaining ball control and protecting the defense has a ton of merit.

On the defensive side I feel the same. I think Steele is going to bring some of that edge back we’ve sorely missed. What strikes me is how dynamic our defense used to be. We used to score so many defensive touchdowns because we played aggressively. It also helped that we had a tremendous defensive line that set everything up and allowed the back seven to make plays.

I recognize the game has changed since 2016 and you have to have be at least a good passing team, but I think UGA win two titles with teams that are much closer in comparison to the 2015-2017 teams than our 2018 to present teams.

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023
It also helped that we had a tremendous defensive line that set everything up and allowed the back seven to make plays.
maybe the biggest difference over the last few years is the Dline talent and usage. We used to have a talented dline with at least one dominant player. That fell off a cliff. Put that with the fact we just miss-used players badly including Will Anderson then the d was not effective.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I’ve love re-watching games starting around this time of year and leading up to the season and I’ve been re-watching the 2016 season. That was a really good team that is sort of a forgotten team.

It’s amazing how well we ran the ball when everyone knew we were going to run the ball with a freshman running QB. We had some talent in the backfield for sure with Damien Harris, Scarborough and Jacobs, but we might have as much talent this year as well. I look forward to shifting back towards an offense that won us at least 4 of the 6 titles. I think Cubelic’s comment about maintaining ball control and protecting the defense has a ton of merit.

On the defensive side I feel the same. I think Steele is going to bring some of that edge back we’ve sorely missed. What strikes me is how dynamic our defense used to be. We used to score so many defensive touchdowns because we played aggressively. It also helped that we had a tremendous defensive line that set everything up and allowed the back seven to make plays.

I recognize the game has changed since 2016 and you have to have be at least a good passing team, but I think UGA win two titles with teams that are much closer in comparison to the 2015-2017 teams than our 2018 to present teams.
The 2016 defense was the best I’ve ever seen. It seemed like they averaged 7 points per game, and I don’t mean “points allowed”. That team seriously scored a huge number of NOTs. They should have been a legendary team on par with 2020, but injuries and a QB who wasn’t quite ready to be a passer prevented it. It’s a shame because a lot of guys came back for their Senior seasons to win another championship, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Reactions: dathbama

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Are these on Youtube? I'm in Covid quarantine for a few days and have some time!

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Agree with ColdStone that the point about PG thinking too much like CNS is enlightening.

It may explain a few things:
1. Why CNS hired him. Imagine interviewing a guy that is your younger self by 30 years and thinking about the possibilities when you've had CNS defensive success.
2. Why he stood by him so long. Kept thinking it would eventually "click."
3. Why the "adjustments" didn't seem to happen. Two people who see things very much alike seem like geniuses when what they are doing works, but they'll seem like they are "blind" when it doesn't.

FWIW, I like that Steele probably will feel comfortable challenging CNS to think a little differently while operating under the umbrella of the CNS MO.
Cold stone???? Alright Tyson I am coming for yah. Lol

1685571265014.gif

• Haha
Reactions: CrimsonRuss and Con

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
You can believe that. But if Lane had not called, he'd be in Tuscaloosa this fall.
We don't know that Lane called. For all we know, CNS talked with Gol&ing and set expectations he should start finding a place to land, and Gol&ing, made the call, or CNS put out word he was available.

For the record, CNS didn't technically fire BOB either, just let his contract expire without any discussion of renewal...

Reactions: dathbama

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We don't know that Lane called. For all we know, CNS talked with Gol&ing and set expectations he should start finding a place to land, and Gol&ing, made the call, or CNS put out word he was available.

For the record, CNS didn't technically fire BOB either, just let his contract expire without any discussion of renewal...
Saban wanted Golding to stay so bad he wouldn't match or beat $200,000 more than he accepted to go to Ole Miss. He wanted O'Brien to stay so bad he just let his contract expire without putting up much of a fight to keep him. Both of those guys KNEW they were getting their butts skewered by the fanbase and criticisms began to leak from the media as well. There are only so many #1 recruiting classes you can call busts before the obvious becomes....well...obvious.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Saban wanted Golding to stay so bad he wouldn't match or beat $200,000 more than he accepted to go to Ole Miss. He wanted O'Brien to stay so bad he just let his contract expire without putting up much of a fight to keep him. Both of those guys KNEW they were getting their butts skewered by the fanbase and criticisms began to leak from the media as well. There are only so many #1 recruiting classes you can call busts before the obvious becomes....well...obvious.
Also drives home the fact that even with top-level talent across the board, coaching still matters.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
There are only so many #1 recruiting classes you can call busts before the obvious becomes....well...obvious.
I think Pate said that three of the top five recruiting class of all time on on campus in Tuscaloosa right now.
Either (a) the recruiting rating services are hosed up or (b) something else was the problem.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Pate said that three of the top five recruiting class of all time on on campus in Tuscaloosa right now.
Either (a) the recruiting rating services are hosed up or (b) something else was the problem.
Well also consider that Pate works for a recruiting service and constantly defends them.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yeah, that's when I started realizing we had a coaching and development problem. Even giving the recruiting rankings a margin for error, they're not that bad off.

Latest threads