Manchester City 2023 - 2024

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023
Talk about a Man City weekend! City beat Luton Town 5-1. Thank you to Crystal Palace and Aston Villa, two teams City recently took to the woodshed, beat both Liverpool and Arsenal on their home grounds. Couldn't have asked for better results. It's not done and dusted yet as there are still six games to play and City still have Chelsea in the FA Cup semifinal on Saturday with the second quarter final against Real Madrid this coming Wednesday afternoon at 3:00 pm ET.

There is a chance Walker will be back Wednesday to go against Vini Jr. and Rodrigo but Guardiola is so concerned about blowing out his hamstring and losing him for the rest of the season he may only get a few minutes. Our Rodri will be back for sure having had a rest over the weekend.
If it were me, Walker wouldn't see the pitch until that hamstring is 100%. City can win the home tie without him, and they'll need him for the stretch run of the Prem and Champions League final.

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023
Tough loss to Real Madrid. Would've loved to have seen Ederson's penalty kick. Really don't know why Pep pulled Haaland prior to extra time unless he had a knock or was just gassed. Alistair Mann didn't say by the time I was able to listen.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
I had expected Haaland to take over the match. He did bang one off the woodwork, but didn't seem to dominate, at least in the parts of the match I got to see.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Heartbreak last night at the Etihad although I thought they should have wrapped up the game during regulation. I get so tired of teams "parking the bus" and then do breakaways to score a goal and then park the bus again. Thankfully KDB equalized. However we didn't make it through penalties and good luck to Real Madrid who will probably go on to win their 15th UCL.

Now tired City are facing a rested Chelsea team in an FA Cup semi final after a tense UCL quarterfinal extra time/penalty loss with just a couple of days to recover. Another example of how the EPL/FA are doing their best to scupper City's season as there is no apparent reason why City's game should not have been on Sunday and United's on Saturday. It's bad enough that it will be a virtual home game for Chelsea.

Whatever the outcome of the game, I'll always be CTID!! C'mon City!!

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023
Heartbreak last night at the Etihad although I thought they should have wrapped up the game during regulation. I get so tired of teams "parking the bus" and then do breakaways to score a goal and then park the bus again. Thankfully KDB equalized. However we didn't make it through penalties and good luck to Real Madrid who will probably go on to win their 15th UCL.

Now tired City are facing a rested Chelsea team in an FA Cup semi final after a tense UCL quarterfinal extra time/penalty loss with just a couple of days to recover. Another example of how the EPL/FA are doing their best to scupper City's season as there is no apparent reason why City's game should not have been on Sunday and United's on Saturday. It's bad enough that it will be a virtual home game for Chelsea.

Whatever the outcome of the game, I'll always be CTID!! C'mon City!!
Did you watch the match? Why did Pep sub off Haaland and DeBruyne?

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Highland Oak apparently Haaland, KDB and Akanji all asked to be subbed off as they were exhausted. Don't know if they will be able to play in the FA Cup semi final on ESPN+ at 11:45 ET Saturday or not. Move Foden into the middle, Alvarez in for Haaland and Stones in for Akanji. Ake can come in for Gvardiol or move Gvardiol inside for Dias and Ake at left back. Bring in Kovacic to partner Rodri at the 6 to give him support. Doku at left wing, Bobb at right wing.

Not full strength but it will have to do. Of course, Pep will make his own picks for the team. Probably need to give special attention to Palmer who seems to take pleasure in

Last edited:

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023
Highland Oak apparently Haaland, KDB and Akanji all asked to be subbed off as they were exhausted. Don't know if they will be able to play in the FA Cup semi final on ESPN+ at 11:45 ET Saturday or not. Move Foden into the middle, Alvarez in for Haaland and Stones in for Akanji. Ake can come in for Gvardiol or move Gvardiol inside for Dias and Ake at left back. Bring in Kovacic to partner Rodri at the 6 to give him support. Doku at left wing, Bobb at right wing.

Not full strength but it will have to do. Of course, Pep will make his own picks for the team. Probably need to give special attention to Palmer who seems to take pleasure in
I knew we'd regret selling Palmer sooner, rather than later.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Palmer was playing hurt and was never a factor in the game. Thank goodness Jackson was so immature as a center forward as he should have scored 3 or 4 easily. I don't think I've ever seen City play so dead-legged for an entire game In this case it was the TV channel who had the Saturday slot and they chose the City v. Chelsea game. Still think they should not have been given that option but money talks every time.

Hopefully, they have had some rest for the match at Brighton today. We certainly don't want to replicate Liverpool at Everton from yesterday.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Amazing what six days of rest can do for a player. City looked a completely different team from the one that played against Chelsea. Had City been this fresh, they would have massacred the dark blues without question.

Beating Brighton was a little too easy yesterday especially as Foden was given a free kick for his first goal, City's second, for an iffy foul. Yes the guy had his arm but was there enough force to twist Foden around and bring him to the ground? Doubtful. Considering all the gifts Arsenal has had throughout the season, I'll take this one.

I think the EPL are getting worried that Arsenal are going to bottle it again so they have printed the 115 charges they have brought against City yet again with the foreboding message that they will be "dealt with in the near future". Are they trying to get in the heads of the Man City players? The EPL has screwed with City's schedule to make it as hard as possoble, no help with UCL games, or the FA Cup. Still City are mentally strong and continue to win.

I don't know if you guys have followed this here in the States, but this campaign against City was first started by LaLiga Chairman who felt their domination was waning as City's success increased and felt he had proof following the German magazine printing so-called hacked emails from Man City. These have never been verified as being true.

The Red Cartel of Arsenal, Liverpool and Man United were co-opted to persuade (bully) other Premier League teams to vote for an investigation against City. Many of these same teams have realized i.e. Newcastle, Aston Villa, etc. that they have voted against their own self interest in this. Instead of the EPL going only for FFP, the EPL decided to charge for everything under the sun. City have always said they have irrefutable proof of their innocence.

Do I know the answer to these charges? No I don't. However, I suspect there might be something in Mancini's contract as the Italians are always getting done for cheating. Whatever, the outcome, City will appeal.

I suspect representatives of Sheikh Mansour will have a quiet word with the Prime Minister who will then have dinner with the EPL types. This will all be done very quietly and away from prying eyes. his is where City's fate will be determined, not at some EPL Inquisition. The Inquisition will still be held in camera, but I don't think anything significant will come of it.

The EPL cannot afford to lose Man City. If they are relegated to the Championship or even League 1, after a couple of seasons they will be back to the EPL and pay back will be swift, hard and unforgiving. Yes a number of excellent players will leave, but the Academy is packed and young players will always want to play for this team.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
City are in amazing form easily beating Fulham 4-0 at Craven Cottage. Gv ardiol is really becoming a regular goalscorer having scored two yesterday. Naturally, the Rags aka United couldn't/wouldn't help City by beating or drawing with Arsenal and lost 1-0 at home to them. This sets up City's game away to Spurs on Tuesday as being the pivotal game left. To put it mildly, City's PL record at the Spurs stadium has been abysmal. City have never scored in a premier league game there and have lost every game. It was not until this year when they won 1-0 in an FA Cup tie did they score late and win the game. Hopefully, with the form they are in now they will beat Spurs easily. BTW, Spurs hate Arsenal so they will not want to do them any favors by taking points off City. If Aston Villa can win their game on Monday, this will knock Spurs out of any chance of playing Champions League next season and will mean they are basically on the beach for their last two games.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
City are in amazing form easily beating Fulham 4-0 at Craven Cottage. Gv ardiol is really becoming a regular goalscorer having scored two yesterday. Naturally, the Rags aka United couldn't/wouldn't help City by beating or drawing with Arsenal and lost 1-0 at home to them. This sets up City's game away to Spurs on Tuesday as being the pivotal game left. To put it mildly, City's PL record at the Spurs stadium has been abysmal. City have never scored in a premier league game there and have lost every game. It was not until this year when they won 1-0 in an FA Cup tie did they score late and win the game. Hopefully, with the form they are in now they will beat Spurs easily. BTW, Spurs hate Arsenal so they will not want to do them any favors by taking points off City. If Aston Villa can win their game on Monday, this will knock Spurs out of any chance of playing Champions League next season and will mean they are basically on the beach for their last two games.
The Spurs are still fighting for the Europa League spot. I think they will play hard.

Latest threads