BREAKING OJ Simpson - Dead at 76

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I recently heard he was told to stop. He didn't so he was fired.
“Well, it’s official. Murder is now legal in the state of California.” - Norm Macdonald.

Ironically, Norm guest hosted SNL a few years later, and pointed out that if he was fired for not being funny and now he’s hosting, that must mean the show is really bad.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I recently heard he was told to stop. He didn't so he was fired.
According to Wikipedia, maybe, maybe not. Of note, he was removed from Weekend Update on Jan. 10, 1998 but remained on SNL until late Feb/early March 1998. A few highlights:

After being removed from the role, Macdonald went on CBS's Late Show with David Letterman and Howard Stern's syndicated radio show; in both appearances, the hosts accused Ohlmeyer of firing him for making jokes about Simpson.[8] The jokes were written primarily by Macdonald and longtime SNL writer Jim Downey, who was fired from SNL at the same time. Downey pointed out in an interview that Ohlmeyer threw a party for the jurors who acquitted Simpson.
On February 28, 1998, in one of his last appearances on SNL, he played the host of a fictitious TV series titled Who's More Grizzled?[44] who asked questions from "mountain men", played by that night's host Garth Brooks and special guest Robert Duvall. In the sketch, Brooks's character says to Macdonald's character, "I don't much care for you," to which Macdonald replies, "A lot of people don't." He was dismissed shortly thereafter.
In later years, he came to the conclusion that Ohlmeyer had not removed him from Update for his Simpson material; rather, he felt he was removed because he was seen as insubordinate: "I think the whole show was tired of me not taking marching orders. Lorne would hint at things... I'd do Michael Jackson jokes. And Lorne would say, 'do you really want a lawsuit from Michael Jackson?' And I'd say, 'Cool! That'd be ****** cool, Michael Jackson suing me!'"[48] Elsewhere, Macdonald would concede, "In all fairness to him, my Update was not an audience[-]pleasing, warm kind of thing. I did jokes that I knew weren't going to get bigger reactions. So I saw [Ohlmeyer's] point. Why would you want some dude who's not trying to please the audience?"

Reactions: Con

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
According to Wikipedia, maybe, maybe not. Of note, he was removed from Weekend Update on Jan. 10, 1998 but remained on SNL until late Feb/early March 1998. A few highlights:

you can look up on YouTube where Jim Downey talks about how it all went down. Apparently they only wanted to fired Downey, but Norm said if Downey goes so fo I. Both were fired. Ohlmeyer was scum and so was OJ.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
The nicest thing I will say about this is that OJ is no longer our problem. There are a few types of people I would take great joy at their deaths, OJ is not one of them.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
The nicest thing I will say about this is that OJ is no longer our problem. There are a few types of people I would take great joy at their deaths, OJ is not one of them.
A double murderer of innocent people, If he doesn't qualify then who does?

Reactions: tideindc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads