Transfer Portal 2023-2024...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Looking at the list it seems Mississippi State has already had multiple guys enter the portal

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Evan Stewart anyone?
Yeah this is the kind of stuff that sticks in my craw. I understand the kid has been banged up a lot this year. And I understand the coach that recruited you has been cut loose. I get all of that.

Stewart hasn’t put his name in the portal and is said to be “mulling over his options” and didn’t travel with the team to Baton Rouge and will not play today. By all reports, he IS NOT INJURED.

So let me get this right: You can’t “mull over your options” while playing with your team? Sorry IMO he’s quitting on his teammates.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
We're probably going to need some portal guys. He is not one though lol
Agreed. The portal is only going to become more and more of a factor in roster building every year. Nate Oats made a comment that the only high school recruits he is interested in are those that can contribute immediately. The rest of his talent will be coming from the portal.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Agreed. The portal is only going to become more and more of a factor in roster building every year. Nate Oats made a comment that the only high school recruits he is interested in are those that can contribute immediately. The rest of his talent will be coming from the portal.
In football it soon become the same. The focus will be on a handful of “difference makers” out of high school that can contribute significantly in the first couple of years. And really, if go back and evaluate signing classes for most programs, out of 20-25 a school would sign, probably only 8-10 of those would have been considered significant contributors after 3-4 years.

The difference was that you could retain some to add depth because of not being able to get immediate eligibility in many cases. Now with the portal and almost assured eligibility, you can probably expect 10-15 players leaving each year in addition to those graduating.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
In football it soon become the same. The focus will be on a handful of “difference makers” out of high school that can contribute significantly in the first couple of years. And really, if go back and evaluate signing classes for most programs, out of 20-25 a school would sign, probably only 8-10 of those would have been considered significant contributors after 3-4 years.

The difference was that you could retain some to add depth because of not being able to get immediate eligibility in many cases. Now with the portal and almost assured eligibility, you can probably expect 10-15 players leaving each year in addition to those graduating.
I whole heartedly disagree. Football is not basketball. look around at the teams that hit the portal heavily and the teams that added kids here and there. The top 10 has many more of the latter than the former. to build a program, you have to have kids in the program more than a year. An NFL team could theoretically sign half the roster to one year contracts, but they choose not to for continuity reasons. It’s not a program if the roster turns over quickly.
I think almost everyone agrees college football in general is not as good the last couple of years vs the 8-9 years prior. the big culprit , IMO , is the transfer portal.

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
And it will hurt the smaller schools even more. They're going to spend their resources developing project players and as soon as they start producing a bigger school will poach them.
It will be more likely that once they start producing, they will start looking for more money. That's just the way it's going to be for smaller schools until this NIL and transfer portal get under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.