Transfer Portal 2023-24, v2

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Is he a 5* safety. I'm not familiar with Howard.
Not at all. On3 had him as a 3 star. He was recruited by Buffalo last year so linguist has a connection to him. He started a bit as a true freshman this year, but played in every game.

I can only find high school highlights. (And don't feel like watching Charlotte game highlights to find him). He is a good nickel corner but a little undersized. Played at a really good football school in Maryland (same school as Braswell i think?)

He would specifically be a depth piece if we do bring him in. And would likely polarize our fan base with the "why are we offering this guy stuff" but he's exactly the type who may transfer in and be willing to be a role player/depth db.

Upside is, He does have D1 experience and we don't have a ton of that. But may or may not have to top end talent to compete with some of the guys on already on campus.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I don't think cadence would cause a center to center the ball on the ground.
To be fair, it would probably be a factor. If communication is almost perfect and you’re focused only on your blocking assignment muscle memory can take over and things are smooth. If you’re really focusing on the QB because you’re nervous you might hear him wrong and snap at the wrong time, there’s no muscle memory in that. When you’re pressing and trying too hard mistakes happen.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Not at all. On3 had him as a 3 star. He was recruited by Buffalo last year so linguist has a connection to him. He started a bit as a true freshman this year, but played in every game.

I can only find high school highlights. (And don't feel like watching Charlotte game highlights to find him). He is a good nickel corner but a little undersized. Played at a really good football school in Maryland (same school as Braswell i think?)

He would specifically be a depth piece if we do bring him in. And would likely polarize our fan base with the "why are we offering this guy stuff" but he's exactly the type who may transfer in and be willing to be a role player/depth db.

Upside is, He does have D1 experience and we don't have a ton of that. But may or may not have to top end talent to compete with some of the guys on already on campus.
I’m beginning to be concerned about one of two things:

The “top end talent” ain’t what it’s cracked up to be

This staff might not be as recruiting sharp as we’d hoped and is just getting low hanging fruit with the Alabama name on their shirts.

I’m not sure what to think just yet, I’ll probably table this thought exercise until I see the product on the field later this year.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
We cant pay NIL to every player on the roster. We need to recruit some 2-3 star players for depth that dont expect NIL. They probably think they can develop him.

This staff might not be as recruiting sharp as we’d hoped and is just getting low hanging fruit with the Alabama name on their shirts.

I’m not sure what to think just yet, I’ll probably table this thought exercise until I see the product on the field later this year.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

Can't say I'm through the roof on this either. But as many have said we need depth and thats what he'd be. He can also play Nicole corner or safety so thats good.

Jacobs is a different story, yes he'd be a depth piece this year but in 2025 I think he may start for us, I think he is just a hidden gem that fits the defense very well.

This reminds me a bit of grabbing amos last year and that was going to pan out pretty well 7ntil Saban retired. Hes also got 3-4 more years where he can develop, and finally we don't know who may still hit the portal by Wednesday morning.

Can't disagree with the low hanging fruit thing more. The staff has exceeded my expectations so far in the recruiting trail and we've done well in the portal, which does seem to be where deboer excells. Washington's draft class is actually going to help us tremendously especially at offensive skill positions and oline.

Not to mention the flood of unofficial visitors that came to Tuscaloosa this spring to watch practice. I would saynafter summer camps and before high school ball starts your concerns will either be put to rest or verified, but I expect we will do very well.....and the bama brand does recruit itself in a way but thats the case for many high profile programs.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
We cant pay NIL to every player on the roster. We need to recruit some 2-3 star players for depth that dont expect NIL. They probably think they can develop him.
This is also pretty true. If we want the best Nickle corner in the portal, that's greedy from fsu, but do we wanna tie up half a million in nil funds for him and then woods on top of that? Probably not.

There is something to be said for playing some money ball at the moment especially given that regardless who we bring in, by seasons end I expect we may have one or two true freshman starting at corner with very bright futures.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Can't say I'm through the roof on this either. But as many have said we need depth and thats what he'd be. He can also play Nicole corner or safety so thats good.

Jacobs is a different story, yes he'd be a depth piece this year but in 2025 I think he may start for us, I think he is just a hidden gem that fits the defense very well.

This reminds me a bit of grabbing amos last year and that was going to pan out pretty well 7ntil Saban retired. Hes also got 3-4 more years where he can develop, and finally we don't know who may still hit the portal by Wednesday morning.

Can't disagree with the low hanging fruit thing more. The staff has exceeded my expectations so far in the recruiting trail and we've done well in the portal, which does seem to be where deboer excells. Washington's draft class is actually going to help us tremendously especially at offensive skill positions and oline.

Not to mention the flood of unofficial visitors that came to Tuscaloosa this spring to watch practice. I would saynafter summer camps and before high school ball starts your concerns will either be put to rest or verified, but I expect we will do very well.....and the bama brand does recruit itself in a way but thats the case for many high profile programs.
That’s why it’s tabled in my head for now, it’s not fair to judge the recipe until you taste the results.

So now it’s, “is this roster management or the best we can get?”

I’m not totally in love with recruiting rankings, but the guys so far have been linebackers and receivers that have committed. Four stars, to be sure, but there’s eleven positions on the field, I’d like to see the positions committed expand a little.

Reactions: TheRealPokeChop

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
That’s why it’s tabled in my head for now, it’s not fair to judge the recipe until you taste the results.

I’m not totally in love with recruiting rankings, but the guys so far have been linebackers and receivers that have committed. Four stars, to be sure, but there’s eleven positions on the field, I’d like to see the positions committed expand a little.
As far as those linebackers go we are yet to see exactly where some may line up. And we landed a great receiver. Id like to see more lineman but those will come after summer camps and evaluations as they usually do.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
As far as those linebackers go we are yet to see exactly where some may line up. And we landed a great receiver. Id like to see more lineman but those will come after summer camps and evaluations as they usually do.
well we brought in 4 LBs in 24, and one might be able to play edge even though he played LB in the spring.

We have 5 lined up for 25, and none really look like they could slide over to edge, and maybe one could play S or RB, but 4 of them are pretty much ILBs.

I get we are thin experience wise for 24, but none of these guys will address that and then for 25, we could have 9-10 guys at the spot, but only one (+ any transfers) upperclassman.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
well we brought in 4 LBs in 24, and one might be able to play edge even though he played LB in the spring.

We have 5 lined up for 25, and none really look like they could slide over to edge, and maybe one could play S or RB, but 4 of them are pretty much ILBs.

I get we are thin experience wise for 24, but none of these guys will address that and then for 25, we could have 9-10 guys at the spot, but only one (+ any transfers) upperclassman.
Im actually thinking tight end for one guy in particular. Safety as another option for.some.

I would say Johnson could make an immediate impact.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Kameron Howard was offered by Buffalo in 2022 so coach Linguist should have a good idea about his talent.
After watching some of his college highlights I can see the upside as a safety or nickel back. He's a ball hawk reads the qb and closes well, tackling is ok, needs some work, dives for ankles a bit too much he will have to get that cleaned up in to make it in the sec. But I can see him blossoming with good coaching.

Reactions: some_al_fan and Con

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

I've been concerned as well. I know Saban always had a handful of 5* recruits each year. So does Georgia and other top teams. I believe it important for a National Championship run.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The man has been on the job, what, 3 months?

He's following the GOAT of recruiting so if there's a slight dropoff it is to be expected.

But, give the man a couple of years to fire off some impressive stats/wins/championships and the recruiting will take care of itself.

BTW, did y'all see the # of Washington guys that got drafted? He knows talent when he sees it.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I've been concerned as well. I know Saban always had a handful of 5* recruits each year. So does Georgia and other top teams. I believe it important for a National Championship run.
Although 5* rating and quantity is important I'm holding my reservations until I see what CKD and staff will do this inaugural season. I base this on what he accomplished at Washington. Also heard this morning on JOX that his title contending team had a very respectable number of players drafted over the weekend as well. Cautiously optimistic, I am.

Latest threads