Unions in college football

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Bryce Young may be available in a couple of years if Carolina doesn’t do more to help him. He still has 2 years of eligibility factoring in a Covid year , if that matters.
In the current wild west scenario, why even have rules on how long someone can play in college?

Why even bother requiring them to be students at the university anymore?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
In the current wild west scenario, why even have rules on how long someone can play in college?

Why even bother requiring them to be students at the university anymore?
To your last statement, are you certain that they truly are " students " as it is most commonly defined?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
To your last statement, are you certain that they truly are " students " as it is most commonly defined?
I think that's a question that could have reasonably been asked for decades.

Years ago I advocated that those who are motivated and capable be allowed to get a bachelor's degree whereas those who are less motivated or less capable could get an associate's degree after 4 years.

I was a teaching assistant in graduate school and the reality was (and likely still is) that there were players on certain teams who never would have stepped foot into a classroom on campus had they not been really good at their sport.

Rather than putting them in a position they likely would not succeed, why not let them take a lighter/easier load (say 6 hours per semester) and finish with an AA that they could then later work towards a BA/BS.

Last edited:

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I think that's a question that could have reasonably been asked for decades.

Years ago I advocated that those who are motivated and capable be allowed to get a bachelor's degree whereas those who are less motivated or less capable could get an associate's degree after 4 years.

I was a teaching assistant in graduate school and the reality was (and likely still is) that there were players on certain teams who never would have stepped foot into a classroom on campus had they not been really good at their sport.

Rather than putting them in a position they likely would not succeed, why not let them take a lighter/easier load (say 6 hours per semester) and finish with an AA that they could then later work towards a BA/BS.
You are piercing the veil.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.