Unions in college football

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ah yes, only a matter of time before Selma showed up breaking down my post writing a thesis on every sentence . Or in other words, more crap. If you in all your self wisdom don’t understand the mindset of the generations previous vs today, I can’t help you bub. And the only dishonesty is your pompous , inflated self worth to this board.
I provided evidence and you came back with insults.

And that says all anyone needs to know.

Good day, sir.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Ah yes, only a matter of time before Selma showed up breaking down my post writing a thesis on every sentence . Or in other words, more crap. If you in all your self wisdom don’t understand the mindset of the generations previous vs today, I can’t help you bub. And the only dishonesty is your pompous , inflated self worth to this board.
Why are you attacking? If you don't appreciate what is being written, skip over it. It's only a big deal if you make it one.

Reactions: HighlandOak

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well this escalated quickly…. Seriously was that necessary?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I provided evidence and you came back with insults.

And that says all anyone needs to know.

Good day, sir.
Sometimes it’s not what one says, but how they say it.

evidence dripping in sarcasm and condescension quits being evidence and becomes something else, bordering on being antagonism

but for the purposes of avoiding sparring everyone should probably take a time out.

Last edited:

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
One perspective would be that it has always been far more romantic notion (some might say "lie") than reality...and now we're just talking truth. There's a lot about it that is ugly, but it was always ugly. From this perspective the failure is that, time and time again, the PTB abrogated the responsibility to actually address issues and instead focused on covering them up with a romantic fantasy.

The reckoning that we as fans may be facing is whether we really love the game, or mostly just the romantic fantasy.
The game is good. The fantasy was great.

I'll miss the fantasy.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Unions…what happens in right to work states (you aren’t required to join the union to hold the job)? What happens when you want a player to move from tackle to guard (think work place rules), in Dartmouth’s case with no NIL who will pay the union dues, how are work place grievances going to be handled, etc.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
Let them unionize! Right now they are living with no rules and high on the hog. If they unionize, it will be collectively bargained and they will be held accountable and not be able to transfer without any restrictions.

The argument for allowing kids to transfer was that coaches could leave whenever they wanted, which is true, but there was also buyout attached. If all of a sudden, the new school had pay the new school a buyout for a kid, it would cut this down considerabley. It will still happen, OSU would pay a buyout for Downs as an exapmle, but schools would be much more selective on who they took and the numbers would be lower.

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
Can’t wait for them to become employees and be more restricted and worked than ever before. Be careful what you wish for….but also serves you right. You want the juice? Well children here comes the squeeze

Reactions: dtgreg

timmyj3

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 11, 2019
Are we at the point where openly not being a student is optional? I think the NCAA is so irrelevant right now in college football and basketball it should bow out. Once the NFL Light transition is completed I think this will be a possibility. Yea, a 46 Aaron Rodgers as the Tides 2020 QB1.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Are we at the point where openly not being a student is optional? I think the NCAA is so irrelevant right now in college football and basketball it should bow out. Once the NFL Light transition is completed I think this will be a possibility. Yea, a 46 Aaron Rodgers as the Tides 2020 QB1.
Bryce Young may be available in a couple of years if Carolina doesn’t do more to help him. He still has 2 years of eligibility factoring in a Covid year , if that matters.

timmyj3

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 11, 2019
I mean, why not. Coupe of millions in NIL, use up the eligibility.

Where it will get tricky is for the NFL light to even pretend this is about academics and amateurism.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Universities stopped being about strictly education long ago. Its all about how much they can get away with raising tuition rates now.....all that guaranteed loan money.

I do wonder how this unionization will bleed into the smaller sports. What about Title 9? Women's athletics. The real money makers are and have always been football and the NCAA tournament in March.....the other sports are at a loss already.

So when the soccer, tennis and lacrosse teams decide to unionize.....what's the university to do at that point?
Pay em minimum wage with no scholarships or close down their sport.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If unions are involved, maybe the mafia will also get involved.

I'd trust Don Corleone or Tony Soprano to run things better than the NCAA.
How do you know they aren't already...? :unsure:

Remember that last game we played in Knoxville?

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Isn`t it optional now for all intents and purposes? When was the last time a major college football player was deemed " academically ineligible " ? It wouldn`t surprise me one bit if surrogates are going to class and taking exams " on behalf of " the football team!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'd like to go back to the pre-O'Bannon days. I'd also like an end to world hunger, have peace in the Middle East, and Mrs. Basket Case and I to have houses in Florida (winter), Vermont (summer) and Tuscaloosa (fall). And for Santa Claus to start visiting me again. While we're at it, let's have Nick Saban forever 60 years old.

I'd like to go back in time. But I acknowledge that, being backed by a 9-0 SCOTUS ruling, that bell can't be un-rung. So screaming for "somebody" to do "something" about the current situation is the ultimate old man yelling at clouds.

Given the reality of current circumstances, I think a players union negotiating with management (in the form of a committee of college presidents) is the only legally enforceable way to stop the insanity and bring consistency nationwide.

I've heard questions about how that would work in right-to-work states, and I don't know the answer. I do know that all of the major professional sports leagues have a similar negotiating structure and they make it work. If they can do it, the top 40 - 60 college programs should be able to do something similar.

No, I don't like it. But I also haven't heard a better proposal that would stand up in court. If anyone has one of those, I'm all ears.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.