Will It Take A " College Football Czar " To (Hopefully ) Put Some Sanity Back Into The Game?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
OR is It already too late? Even a czar has to have some sort of organizational structure within which to operate. The NCAA, we know, is an " organization ", but is it too far gone? Will the SEC and Big 10 just give the NCAA the middle finger and become that new organization led by said czar?

Reactions: dtgreg

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
College football as we knew it.....the sport we loved.....is dead.

We're gonna have these kids becoming employees of the universities soon, with contracts.....NFL lite. The product on the field is watered down.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
It’s too late. Real college football is dead. The casual fans couldn’t be more excited.
DEAD - DEAD - DEAD...!!!
The true college football fan is in a quandary, college players have become like there NFL peers, just spoiled entitled little brats...!

As for me and a few I know we are looking at women's sports, at least until they become entitled little witch's...

It seems when a team starts winning the true nature of the player's and the coaches comes to the surface, we were lucky at Bama, Saban did a heck of a job keeping his coaches and player's grounded as has Murphy with his softball teams through the years...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
No, some type of commissioner will still not be able to fix all this because 130+ teams in a single league is just too many and you'll never make everyone happy. The little guys that cannot compete finically should be in their own league but that would destroy ESPN's "when need to expand the playoffs for the little guy" shtick. I'm tired of everyone trying to appease the "group of..." schools. How about they just get out of our way and let us do our own thing.

This is why I would have no problem with the SEC/B1G combining and creating their won semi-pro league. I don't care what media folks are whining about, TV networks would dump bucks of money at this new league and everyone else would get left behind.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
On a positive note, garages around the nation will be more organized, lawns manicured and honey do lists crumpled up in the trash can. Lot of money saved too. I'm not worried about it. I am a hard core fan but if they want to bud light themselves out of my Saturdays then I can make the adjustment.

Last edited:

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
On a positive note, garages around the nation will be more organized, lawns manicured and honey do lists crumpled up in the trash can. Lot of money saved too. I'm not worried about. I am a hard core fan but if they want to bud light themselves out of my Saturdays then I can make the adjustment.
Same for me. I can still follow Bama as much as I want to or don't want to, but the rest of the sport especially outside the SEC is dead to me. I can fill my Saturdays with plenty of other things.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
College football as we knew it.....the sport we loved.....is dead.

We're gonna have these kids becoming employees of the universities soon, with contracts.....NFL lite. The product on the field is watered down.
Watered down for 99.9% of D-1 teams, those with the deep pockets will pay dearly for their NFL type teams!

Per Texas, Texas A&M, USC, MICHIGAN, OSU and OREGON, Not many teams will be capable of competing with those teams offering multi-million dollar contracts to top high school players...

Why should those players even be awarded scholarships while getting that kind of NIL Money...???

I wonder how long fans will put up with this BS...? I'll probably be long gone before things will return to some sort of normalcy...!

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
OR is It already too late? Even a czar has to have some sort of organizational structure within which to operate. The NCAA, we know, is an " organization ", but is it too far gone? Will the SEC and Big 10 just give the NCAA the middle finger and become that new organization led by said czar?
The NCAA's sole purpose was to provide a blanket "Amateur Status" for college athletics; i.e., the ability of the colleges and coaches and bowls to make money from college sports without paying the players. Since they no longer perform this operation, they are useless.

Reactions: The Ols

timmyj3

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 11, 2019
I believe it is too late. The fabric started unravelling years ago. I think the push to "pay" student amateur athletes that are already paid via big buck scholarships (plus numerous perks) at prestigious universities got this ball rolling years ago.

I would venture to say that 15 years ago almost no one here would imagine this current NIL monster that we have created.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
A czar won't fix it never would. The only thing the SCOTUS got right is the NCAA was a monopoly. The only that can fix this is competition meaning more leagues. Absent a collective bargaining agreement, allowing one transfer in one academic/competitive year is what the sport will have to adjust to.

And with the implosion of the NCAA, amateur status in sports is dead. Olympic sports, golf, tennis - dead.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
No, some type of commissioner will still not be able to fix all this because 130+ teams in a single league is just too many and you'll never make everyone happy. The little guys that cannot compete finically should be in their own league but that would destroy ESPN's "when need to expand the playoffs for the little guy" shtick. I'm tired of everyone trying to appease the "group of..." schools. How about they just get out of our way and let us do our own thing.

This is why I would have no problem with the SEC/B1G combining and creating their won semi-pro league. I don't care what media folks are whining about, TV networks would dump bucks of money at this new league and everyone else would get left behind.
While it's foolish to think we can fix 130 teams, we could fix 40 or 50. (Expansion of the Big 2)
I believe the SEC and Big10 can and will join forces, and leave the NCAA. Don't know when, but I think it's likely.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Watered down for 99.9% of D-1 teams, those with the deep pockets will pay dearly for their NFL type teams!

Per Texas, Texas A&M, USC, MICHIGAN, OSU and OREGON, Not many teams will be capable of competing with those teams offering multi-million dollar contracts to top high school players...

Why should those players even be awarded scholarships while getting that kind of NIL Money...???

I wonder how long will fans put up with this BS...? I'll probably be long gone before things will return to some sort of normalcy...!
At 76, while it`s OK with me if the Good Lord gives me a few more circles of the sun (as long as I`m not a drooling old head of lettuce! ), I`ll probably shuffle off this mortal coil with the game I spent a large portion of my life following and loving in the current sorry state in which it finds itself. I will regret that very much if that comes to pass. Who woulda thunk it just a few years ago?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The game we knew will never return.

But some sanity has to be injected into NIL and the Portal.

I will push back and say we need to leave the "kids" out of it. It's not their fault the situation is the way it is now. They are just taking advantage of bad decisions to do what the "rules" (what rules) allow them to do.

The real fault lies in a couple of generations of parenting that awarded participation trophies and thought everyone could be a d-1 athlete, which laid the base for what the NCAA eventually allowed: everybody needs to get paid before they do the work.

• Emphasis!
Reactions: The Ols

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
You misspelled Saban's name as Czar. ;)
Funny you say that, I heard some huge talking heads on Atlanta Radio a few weeks back pleading for the Universities to name Nick Saban as Czar of football . They said they hated him while a coach , but now retired , he has the juice to be a fair and impartial leader of CFB. For the good of the game. I remember the same guys complain about Nick a few years back for the way he handled a discipline case, but now saying he has the integrity to be a good leader.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Funny you say that, I heard some huge talking heads on Atlanta Radio a few weeks back pleading for the Universities to name Nick Saban as Czar of football . They said they hated him while a coach , but now retired , he has the juice to be a fair and impartial leader of CFB. For the good of the game. I remember the same guys complain about Nick a few years back for the way he handled a discipline case, but now saying he has the integrity to be a good leader.
There's no question that within the industry CNS has the reputation for detail it would take.

It's funny how people will view him now that he's not beating their teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.