Transfer Portal 2023-24, v2

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
That was in the days before participation trophies. Not everybody made the team, people got cut, etc. Can you imagine that today? Talk about hell raining down!
This was a HUGE factor in my decision to stop coaching little league BB & FB. The parent management facet pushed me away entirely.

PARENT: Why did you put my son in right field?
ME: Because this team doesn't pull the ball often and I need someone who can stop the ball and get it back in.
PARENT: Still mad and does what butt-hurt parents do in the stands and practice.

PARENT: The only reason you chose your kid as All-Star is you're the coach.
Me: Your kid hit .120 and doesn't field the ball very well.
PARENT: He'll probably quit because of this.

On and on, and on, and on,,,,,,,,,,

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
This was a HUGE factor in my decision to stop coaching little league BB & FB. The parent management facet pushed me away entirely.

ME: Because this team doesn't pull the ball often and I need someone who can stop the ball and get it back in.
PARENT: Still mad and does what butt-hurt parents do in the stands and practice.

Try coaching Track and Field. The clock or tape measure doesn't lie. They can never argue about their child's times or distances vs. other kids' times or distances. Team sports though, they all think their children are all stars and that the coach just doesn't give them a chance.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bro I WISH my kid would hit .120, but he’s just an absolute turd out there….just a turd…

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
That was in the days before participation trophies. Not everybody made the team, people got cut, etc. Can you imagine that today? Talk about hell raining down!
To be fair, he didn't make his varsity team. His coach left him on jv to get stronger. Jordan was 5'-10" and picked a 6'-7" sophomore instead. That doesn't make for quite as good of a story though.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
To be fair, he didn't make his varsity team. His coach left him on jv to get stronger. Jordan was 5'-10" and picked a 6'-7" sophomore instead. That doesn't make for quite as good of a story though.
I think the message still gets across though. The best basketball player of all time didn’t get picked for his high school varsity team, and his perseverance paid off in the long run. That’s a completely alien concept to the last couple generations.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I think the message still gets across though. The best basketball player of all time didn’t get picked for his high school varsity team, and his perseverance paid off in the long run. That’s a completely alien concept to the last couple generations.
People assume it means he was at home twiddling his thumbs instead of still on a team though.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
People assume it means he was at home twiddling his thumbs instead of still on a team though.
I don’t know if that’s necessarily true. I always looked at it like he was working his butt off to never let that happen again. Then again, people are dumb, so maybe they did think that, lol.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
After the final four in basketball I saw a comment on twitter about how for lack of a quality center we missed 2 NC's in about 4 months time.
Regarding the round ball, yep, I agree. I'm not sure if that is Oates' philosophy or we couldn't get a legit big man in recruiting. But I'm not sure Bama can win a NC in basketball with just three-point shooting and a fast-break type of offense.

Reactions: OakMtn4Bama

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Regarding the round ball, yep, I agree. I'm not sure if that is Oates' philosophy or we couldn't get a legit big man in recruiting. But I'm not sure Bama can win a NC in basketball with just three-point shooting and a fast-break type of offense.
Bediako was the missing piece. He remained in the draft even though he got feedback that he shouldn't. That info came too late to really get a replacement. Bediako didn't get drafted.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If MJ doesn't grow about 8 or 9 inches we probably have never heard of him.

Sure, he could have played some college ball as a 5'10" guard somewhere and been pretty good.

But, a growth spurt (God's doing) and a will to be the best (MJ's doing) were both part of his story to become the GOAT.

Latest threads