Bama Game Thread: A-Day Game Thread ( ESPN @ 3PM CT)

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The race card or whatever didn't come from me. My issue is the criticism of Jalen is relentless and non-stop. We can't discuss the offense or quarterbacks without the non-stop "Milroe bad" comments. Jalen did really well A-Day, but all some can do is be negative, and look for any tiny thing to complain about. Non-stop. TideFans is the only place I see this level of anti-Milroe nonsense.
Obviously this is the most football knowledgeable board you visit.

its not anti- Milroe. It’s a list of what he needs to work on and the thought that we think he’s too far gone to fix the issues. Who have you seen actively rooting against him?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
In the NFL it is possible to just be on the wrong team at the wrong time and be delegated to career backup QB. Could have been talent, but also could have been timing. We will never know. Consider guys like Kurt Warner and Doug Flutie. If not for a second bite at the apple and great luck when they got that second chance, both would have been considered "just not good enough for the NFL", and both were sensational NFL QBs.
Didn't AJ have a couple of injuries that sidelined him as well?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

its not anti- Milroe. It’s a list of what he needs to work on and the thought that we think he’s too far gone to fix the issues. Who have you seen actively rooting against him?
That was my exact though BUT it might not be as "obvious" as some think if you only frequent this board.

From what little experience I've had on other boards, this board is far and away the best in terms of knowledgeable and connected posters who seem to have some self control and common sense.

I think the "anti-JM" narrative is non-existent unless you consider "fair, objective criticism" to be "anti JM."

It's not apples to apples obviously, but if I work somewhere and my boss sees some weakness in my job performance, he's actually helping me to point those things out.

I'm not Jalen's boss, but as a fan, if I see some areas he's weak in and point them out (discuss them in a reasonable way) I'm not being "anti JM;" I'm just being reasonable (and hopefully a good poster)! :D

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That was my exact though BUT it might not be as "obvious" as some think if you only frequent this board.

From what little experience I've had on other boards, this board is far and away the best in terms of knowledgeable and connected posters who seem to have some self control and common sense.

I think the "anti-JM" narrative is non-existent unless you consider "fair, objective criticism" to be "anti JM."

It's not apples to apples obviously, but if I work somewhere and my boss sees some weakness in my job performance, he's actually helping me to point those things out.

I'm not Jalen's boss, but as a fan, if I see some areas he's weak in and point them out (discuss them in a reasonable way) I'm not being "anti JM;" I'm just being reasonable (and hopefully a good poster)! :D
Furthermore, we are all pulling for Milroe because if he can figure this stuff out - goodness, he would be incredible.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
No one would be happier than I would be for Milroe to become the college incarnation of Mahomes. I hope he has developed (and continues to develop) into the greatest college football QB ever.
When roster time comes, I hope Coach DeBoer will start the player who gives the team the best chance to win. Period.

If there are players who say, "I won't try hard unless Player X is starting," then I hope Coach DeBoer responds, "Welcome to the scout team. Every coach or scout who talks to me about you from here on out will hear about how you were not willing to try your best unless you got to control the starting line-up."

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
The race card or whatever didn't come from me. My issue is the criticism of Jalen is relentless and non-stop. We can't discuss the offense or quarterbacks without the non-stop "Milroe bad" comments. Jalen did really well A-Day, but all some can do is be negative, and look for any tiny thing to complain about. Non-stop. TideFans is the only place I see this level of anti-Milroe nonsense.
You and I might have different definitions of what "really well" means...

I was in the stands, in the end-zone, and I was still seeing the throws Jalen needed to make before Jalen was. He is still far too consistently late on his throws and behind receivers. It's troubling, at this stage in his career.

I haven't been in this thread so I won't comment on anything else to which you alluded.

I went into Tuscaloosa on Saturday hoping to see improvement in Jalen's reads from last year. So far, I haven't seen it...

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023
I agree there’s a ton of hard critiquing of JM to the point of just criticism. Too much of it and I haven’t commented much on it and might not again until we get more film and data points. But as far as the bold, he did not do really well. It’s just a scrimmage so doesn’t mean much but his first pass was maybe the best one I’ve seen from him in leading a wr finally. But his second was a 50/50 and all the wr. Then down hill even more from there. He didn’t show anything different than last year. With that said none of the others showed out either with Simpson doing only a little better this one meaningless scrimmage. None of what I just said is anti JM it’s just pointing things out. I don’t think people want to pump JM like they were in the broadcast because that was simply sunshine pumping. Especially when they talked about him and Lamar Jackson who are nothing alike in style and ability even in college. JM can’t scramble anything close but may be faster straight line. Doesn’t throw as well either. I know what JM can do. Every time I have watched other QBs they always look more natural for the position. That is what a lot are picking up on. It also seems Simpson’s running ability is not far behind and may be better as far as being shifty In the pocket. But I don’t know if he is the better QB but it appears he could be every time I have watched him v JM. Can’t deny the offense was the worst in years with him even with a slightly better o line last year than the year before. It’s not anti JM it’s just wanting the best to play and actually have a fair chance. But it’s a luxury Bama has that a lot don’t- QB competition.

Reactions: Grogan11

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It is a little weird to me how we have completely ignored probably the worst throw of the scrimmage (ignoring Mack who struggled) which belongs to Ty. I don't think its a massive deal it just seems like a weird one to ignore considering the conversation. The one where Ty just chucked it down field and almost had it picked (the defender landed out of bounds.)

That said I really do think Ty at least showed he has more tools in the tool box as a passer than Milroe has. But that doesn't necessarily mean he'll win the job or even that he should. The almost int kind of highlights why he might not.

But as others have said it was one scrimmage so 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: TiderJack

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It is a little weird to me how we have completely ignored probably the worst throw of the scrimmage (ignoring Mack who struggled) which belongs to Ty. I don't think its a massive deal it just seems like a weird one to ignore considering the conversation. The one where Ty just chucked it down field and almost had it picked (the defender landed out of bounds.)

That said I really do think Ty at least showed he has more tools in the tool box as a passer than Milroe has. But that doesn't necessarily mean he'll win the job or even that he should. The almost int play kind of highlights why he might not.

But as others have said it was one scrimmage so 🤷‍♂️
I don't think it was a terrible throw. Actually, he made a quick decision on a scramble. It probably looked strange to see a QB scramble and improvise that quickly and throw into a tight area. But again, I don't think it was a terrible throw.

He had the sideline as a defender and he had a man in the area who was open when he threw it, but not by the time the fall arrived. It was INTed but the defender landed out of bounds so no harm no foul IMO.

Now, he throws that in the middle of the field, yeah, that's awful!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't think it was a terrible throw. Actually, he made a quick decision on a scramble. It probably looked strange to see a QB scramble and improvise that quickly and throw into a tight area. But again, I don't think it was a terrible throw.

He had the sideline as a defender and he had a man in the area who was open when he threw it, but not by the time the fall arrived. It was INTed but the defender landed out of bounds so no harm no foul IMO.

Now, he throws that in the middle of the field, yeah, that's awful!
I don't think it was terrible or awful I just think its a throw he shouldn't have made. He definitely showed his tools on the play being able to roll out to the left and reset quickly to fire the ball downfield fairly accurately but I think it is one he needs to learn from.

And I think conversely Milroe has been criticized for some solid throws much more harshly. Idk if it was here or another board but some have been overly critical of his long completion to Bernard

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

For the most part you are correct, however, there have been some who have said he is not a QB and the way he scrambles he is not a RB either. I think we all know Jalen has things he needs to work on but don't think those comments are accurate.

I was impressed by how Ty looked so I think we will have a healthy competition this summer.

I think we all saw Mack is a talented kid but not ready right now.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't think it was terrible or awful I just think its a throw he shouldn't have made. He definitely showed his tools on the play being able to roll out to the left and reset quickly to fire the ball downfield fairly accurately but I think it is one he needs to learn from.
If he made that throw in the 4th qtr against LSU or Auburn in a tight game every one of us would have said it was a horrible decision. I guess with it being a play in the spring game is the reason some say it was not.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If he made that throw in the 4th qtr against LSU or Auburn in a tight game every one of us would have said it was a horrible decision. I guess with it being a play in the spring game is the reason some say it was not.
I like the idea of spring games being a time when you can test things out so that's why I'd be hesitant to call it horrible. Plus I don't want to take away from the DB who did make a nice play and was really moving. But I do think it's something Ty needs to learn from.

Agreed though that depending on the game and situation it could look a lot worse.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My post was not intended to be racial in nature. If anyone was offended then I apologize. My point was that historically white QBs get better coaching than the black QB at least at the middle and high school level. Blake was coached up by Kiffin and Jalen by Kiffin and Sark. Maybe Sheridan can do the same thing for Milroe, to be determined. There is no doubt however that Tua and Bryce were QB ready when they came to Tuscaloosa.

Reactions: B1GTide

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
For the most part you are correct, however, there have been some who have said he is not a QB...
Only addressing this part but some of this could depend on context and definition.

I remember a coach telling me once that you're not a real quarterback until you understand enough to start calling the plays.

If you can't even make all the reads required for the position - by that definition - an argument could be made that you aren't a quarterback...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
This is the last thing I'm going to say on this subject until fall.

Right now, my opinion on this team is EXACTLY the same as it was at the beginning of last season:

This team will go as far as the defense and the threat of Jalen's legs will take us. I'm hoping that we'll see marked improvement in Jalen's ability to make reads but, until we see that, nothing else has really changed...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.