JessN: A-Day wrap-up: Changing of the guard, but how much change in the product?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
A-Day wrap-up: Changing of the guard, but how much change in the product?
by Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief

As far as A-Days go, the 2024 edition used a format that has been used infrequently before – pure offense vs. defense, not two separate squads facing off – and in the end, may have provided more clarity as to the health and depth of the team moving into summer workouts.

The offense won the steak dinner by a score of 34-28, as the defense was awarded points for stops and turnovers. The one turnover the defense managed to force – a Dre Kirkpatrick Jr. interception of Austin Mack – was waved off due to the defense being offsides on the play.

CONTINUE READING

Last edited by a moderator:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I will have to go back and rewatch it, because I didn't think DL was the most consistent at QB.

With the new clock rules effectively taking away a possession per half, our offensive efficiency has to significantly improve. While not a finished product by no means, I saw TS run the offense efficiently, moving the changes working all short and intermediate areas of the field. With our RBs, we have the potential to be a very effective ball control offense.

If we need to score quickly or play catch up, I believe JM is the Best option.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I will have to go back and rewatch it, because I didn't think DL was the most consistent at QB.

With the new clock rules effectively taking away a possession per half, our offensive efficiency has to significantly improve. While not a finished product by no means, I saw TS run the offense efficiently, moving the changes working all short and intermediate areas of the field. With our RBs, we have the potential to be a very effective ball control offense.

If we need to score quickly or play catch up, I believe JM is the Best option.
Agree on DL. Not sure what Jess saw to make him think that. I otherwise agreed with his assessment.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I thought Lonergan was the most consistent but as I mentioned, he was also going against 2s/3s the whole day, whereas Milroe and Simpson had to work against the 1s or a mix of the two.

I was pleased with all three top guys, and Mack got better as the day went along. He was a baby giraffe for his first couple of series.

Milroe will always be harder to evaluate in this kind of setting because the black jersey takes out 90 percent of our QB run game, plus he never faced off against any 2s. So how do you evaluate Milroe vs. Lonergan, for instance, when neither had the same guys around them? That's always the challenge to A-Day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.