Alabama QBs in 2024, II

Scobaman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2010
Yes, I agree with that if that is the plan for the entire year. But if you've got two quarterbacks who haven't separated themselves from each other in practice, it is critical to get the right one on the field. There is nothing wrong with using the first few games running both of them to see if one of them separates themselves in game situations.
The 73 tide team was a good example of that when Gary Rutledge was the starter and split time with Richard Todd.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Just my opinion, but I don’t foresee a 2-QB system this fall. I think Milroe and Simpson’s skill sets are too similar, and I’m not sure it makes a ton of sense. It’s not like Milroe is a pure option QB, and it’s not like Simpson is a statue either.

Spurrier did indeed play musical chairs at QB at times, and I would argue to the detriment of his offenses. I think there’s something to be said for flow and consistency. You rotate guys and you deal with different cadences, different timing with receivers, etc.. I’ve rarely seen it work well with two similar QBs, at least for any significant amount of time.

I think situational packages make sense, when you’ve got a pure drop back passer as your main guy and you’ve got a situational guy who runs a 4.3 and can do jet sweeps, zone reads, etc..

IMO this isn't our situation.

Reactions: Con and Windsortide

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Hadn't even thought about going two QBs early on. That would be a brilliant way to work through the QB drama. It's a tough situation for CKD to be in with the GOAT hovering over the program (and likely still pushing his player agendas). It'll remain a balancing act for a couple years until CNS's 'guys' have all worked through the system.

Think about it: Why would both of your top two running backs transfer out?

Getting back to merit will go a long way to resolving some of our recent issues, or, the team will implode because they refuse to get back on track. Regardless, there may be some bumps in the road...self-inflicted wounds from the last 2-3 years.
Did I miss something...?:unsure:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Sadly, NIL and the Portal have helped perpetuate the "me first" attitude...😖
I don’t disagree.

But I also don’t see how a player refusing to give full effort unless another player at another position is starting, helps to further his own interest.

Whether the refusenik wants to transfer or go to the NFL, that kind of behavior raises all sorts of red flags and doesn’t get him closer to the goal.

Last edited:

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
Coach Bryant played alot of QBs back then. Often it was meaningful time.
It was also because we ran the wishbone and the QBs took a beating every game.

I don't recall having "a lot" of QB's at one time - maybe we did - but I do recall a period of time when Coach Bryant alternated the QB's and the RB's, seemed like almost every other play. Was that not the method he used to run the plays in to the huddle?

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I don't recall having "a lot" of QB's at one time - maybe we did - but I do recall a period of time when Coach Bryant alternated the QB's and the RB's, seemed like almost every other play. Was that not the method he used to run the plays in to the huddle?
I was thinking he used WRs to run in plays. Most teams did back then. I seem to remember more than a few times Coach Bryant playing a different QB in the first and second quarters, then going with the hottest hand the second half. Seemed he would always have an experienced QB if the starter got hurt. And some did running the Bone. The Wishbone was a thing of beauty when ran right and Bama did.

• Thank You
Reactions: oskie and mlh

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Just my opinion, but I don’t foresee a 2-QB system this fall. I think Milroe and Simpson’s skill sets are too similar, and I’m not sure it makes a ton of sense. It’s not like Milroe is a pure option QB, and it’s not like Simpson is a statue either.

Spurrier did indeed play musical chairs at QB at times, and I would argue to the detriment of his offenses. I think there’s something to be said for flow and consistency. You rotate guys and you deal with different cadences, different timing with receivers, etc.. I’ve rarely seen it work well with two similar QBs, at least for any significant amount of time.

I think situational packages make sense, when you’ve got a pure drop back passer as your main guy and you’ve got a situational guy who runs a 4.3 and can do jet sweeps, zone reads, etc..

IMO this isn't our situation.
Their skill sets are similar? One can't make presnap reads or make short throws consistently.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think at this point it may take rotating quarters or a set number of offensive plays in live games for these two to sort this nonsense out. It’s definitely not ideal, but if Simpson is the answer the team will need to see him outperform Milroe in the same game to be swayed to let the best player play.

If Simpson can’t do that, then who knows.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The OL will need to outperform for TS to overtake JM. Im not certain our "me" issues on the OL have been resolved yet...

I think at this point it may take rotating quarters or a set number of offensive plays in live games for these two to sort this nonsense out. It’s definitely not ideal, but if Simpson is the answer the team will need to see him outperform Milroe in the same game to be swayed to let the best player play.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

Dylan Lonergan, front and center!

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.