Bama Game Thread: Bama v Gators - SEC Quarters (SECN @ 8:30 CT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
Florida really probably was the worst possible matchup we could've had in the first round. I wouldn't read too much into this. It's all about matchups. It's only a certain type of team that can bully us like that. There's only a handful of teams capable of doing that to us. As long as we get the right matchup in the first two rounds, we should be Sweet 16 bound simply because we will outscore them. I'd be happy with that, especially knowing next year we will be a legit Final Four contender if most everyone stays and we get a true rim protector in the portal. You gotta think that will be a top priority

Reactions: dathbama and CB4

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
In our losses it seems like we have that one stretch late in the 1st half where we can't score and we can't stop the other team from scoring. The rest of the game is fairly even except for that one stretch. When that happened last night I turned the game off. I checked back in later in the 2nd half for a quick update to see that we were down by 19 so I turned it off and went to bed.

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
Man, I first need to say that I hope we have Oats for the next ten years. That being said, I didn't care for coach talking this week about hoping for a rematch in the finals against Tennessee. The moment I heard that, I assumed we'd be a quick out.

CNS, if he heard that midweek comment, had to have winced.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Florida really probably was the worst possible matchup we could've had in the first round. I wouldn't read too much into this. It's all about matchups. It's only a certain type of team that can bully us like that. There's only a handful of teams capable of doing that to us. As long as we get the right matchup in the first two rounds, we should be Sweet 16 bound simply because we will outscore them. I'd be happy with that, especially knowing next year we will be a legit Final Four contender if most everyone stays and we get a true rim protector in the portal. You gotta think that will be a top priority
If you think about it, probably Auburn got the easiest matchup in the quarterfinals. South Carolina was a very weak five seed.
You are absolutely correct about an inside presence needed next year. Also we need an “attitude adjustment” when it comes to defense and rebounding. Both of those, much of the time, are about positioning and “want to” as anything. As was stated in an earlier post, defense generates offense. And it can keep you in games when your shooting is off.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I’m just glad we’re not on the bubble. I don’t miss those days of hoping we got in. It’s nice knowing that’s a given

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
One thing for sure is that when Pringle is in the game, he is so offensively challenged that it's basically 4 on 5. He really is no threat to score unless it's a dunk and the other teams are aware of it. Then again, the whole team struggled tonight on offense and defense. I wonder what is up with Cosby not getting any playing time tonight. I know he can provide a spark when he's on.
Cosby is not that good. He got hot that one game and saved him but he isn’t a good defensive player and not great ball handler when pressured.

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
I think the idea of expecting everyone back is a dream anymore. There will be massive turnover every year with guys coming and going.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
As I have said, our defensive coach left when he took a head coaching job at the end of last year our defense had been pretty good up to now, when teams shoot and play up tempo like us teams normally don't play a lot of defense unless they are coached to, we need a rim protector we don't need 5 shooters on the floor, four will be just fine

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
I’m just glad we’re not on the bubble. I don’t miss those days of hoping we got in. It’s nice knowing that’s a given
Yeah can’t imagine this place if we were Virginia. They have 5 point lead with two flagrant foul shots coming and 1 minute left. Your 75% shooter misses both and on next possession you get fouled and hit 1 of 2 only. You still lead by 3 with 5 seconds left and 84% shooter at line. He misses the 1 and 1 and State banks in 3 to tie it. Now you may be going home and nit in tourney. You make any of those you get in.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Yeah can’t imagine this place if we were Virginia. They have 5 point lead with two flagrant foul shots coming and 1 minute left. Your 75% shooter misses both and on next possession you get fouled and hit 1 of 2 only. You still lead by 3 with 5 seconds left and 84% shooter at line. He misses the 1 and 1 and State banks in 3 to tie it. Now you may be going home and nit in tourney. You make any of those you get in.
the win Thursday *should* have been enough for UVA to seal their spot but who knows with all the the conference tournament madness.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
I think the idea of expecting everyone back is a dream anymore. There will be massive turnover every year with guys coming and going.
I guess what I'm thinking is, what core players have we really lost in the portal? I'm fairly certain Bradley was mutual, because he wasn't a great fit. I suppose you could say JQ, but he likely wasn't going to start. We'll definitely lose some role players, but I'm hopeful coach can keep the core together. A big portal loss very well could happen, but it just kind of feels like Oats has the program built up to a point where there aren't going to be many major shockers in the portal. We run a fun system that players really enjoy playing. I really just want to keep at least 5 of Wrightsell, Sears, Griffen, Stevenson, Nelson, and Walters. That would be a strong core to build the rest of the roster around. The draft may come calling for some, but I still think it's a reasonable possibility they all come back. I'd like to keep a few others as well, but I'd say those 6 are the most important for next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: teamplayer

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I guess what I'm thinking is, what core players have we really lost in the portal? I'm fairly certain Bradley was mutual, because he wasn't a great fit. I suppose you could say JQ, but he likely wasn't going to start. We'll definitely lose some role players, but I'm hopeful coach can keep the core together. A big portal loss very well could happen, but it just kind of feels like Oats has the program built up to a point where there aren't going to be many major shockers in the portal. We run a fun system that players really enjoy playing. I really just want to keep at least 5 of Wrightsell, Sears, Griffen, Stevenson, Nelson, and Walters. That would be a strong core to build the rest of the roster around. The draft may come calling for some, but I still think it's a reasonable possibility they all come back. I'd like to keep a few others as well, but I'd say those 6 are the most important for next year.
I thought Nelson was a Senior

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I would like to see Nelson move on if he can't improve his perimeter shooting. He is a liability down low and doesn't present a challenge on the perimeter.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
He is a senior but he has a covid year that he can use if he chooses to. Same for Sears, Wrightsell, and perhaps Pringle. I believe Estrada is the only one that doesn't have 1 year remaining.
I don’t see Sears returning. The others maybe depending on NIL deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads