Bicycle riders

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
the couple of racks that i have had like that, the hooks were rubberized. you could also go the alabama method and use duct tape. another option is to wrap them in an old inner tube.
I used some gauze pads last night, but discovered another issue. I cannot back up becasue the bike blocks my camera.

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: 92tide

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think riding bikes is fun and great exercise. At one time in my youth getting a Schwinn
10 speed was the greatest gift possible. It allowed me transportation to and
from wherever I wanted to go within a 10 mile or so radius of my house. It was freedom for a 12 year old.
I still like
to ride, my wife and I both like to ride around the roads around our home. That
being said, something has got to give about the Tour de France wannabes riding
all over my area roads. Not all, but a large portion ride right in the middle
of the road knowing faster cars going the posted speed limit would like to get
by, yet they refuse to move over. I know bikes legally have the same rights as
other vehicles, but at some point common sense and the common good have to be
considered.
99% of the
bicycle riders are riding for pleasure or exercise. In my state (Tennessee),
they pay no tag fee and require no license, yet they have the right of way and
full lane use on most roads. My point is bicycles make up less than 1% of all
traffic and all other vehicles are inconvenienced by their slow speed and in
many cases refusal to move over to allow passing, and also pay no driver’s
license fee or tag fee. Why is less than 1% of all traffic, that pays nothing
toward road taxes, and main purpose for being on the roads only exercise given
priority over the 99% traveling to work, shop, or making deliveries?

If you want
to ride your bike, that’s great, please show some decency and manners by at
least making a token effort to move to the right and allow faster moving
vehicles to pass. And maybe it’s time for states to require some type of fees
like motorized vehicles pay.
There are enough seldom used farm roads that I have found that I can ride to my hearts content. I've talked to a number of landowners in that area, that I'm on great terms with. I've got permission to fish a couple of big farm ponds. One of them is several acres. I tell them that I don't plan to keep any fish unless they would like a mess of fish. I make photos of decent fish and return them to the ponds. Bike riding is great if you treat the locals right. I ride for pleasure. It never hurts to wave at folks you meet, they respond the way I treat them.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
There are enough seldom used farm roads that I have found that I can ride to my hearts content. I've talked to a number of landowners in that area, that I'm on great terms with. I've got permission to fish a couple of big farm ponds. One of them is several acres. I tell them that I don't plan to keep any fish unless they would like a mess of fish. I make photos of decent fish and return them to the ponds. Bike riding is great if you treat the locals right. I ride for pleasure. It never hurts to wave at folks you meet, they respond the way I treat them.
It is amazing how nice people will be if you and nice and friendly to them.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This looks good! Look who the narrator is!

COMING SUMMER 2023, The Engine Inside—a new feature-length documentary from Anthill Films, presented by Shimano, Pon.Bike and PeopleForBikes—uncovers the overlooked potential of the bicycle, our noblest invention, in all its forms. Telling the stories of six people from all corners of the world, the documentary shows us how this amazing, relatively simple, 200-year-old machine can help us build a better future for everyone. Exploring topics across climate change, social justice, mental and physical health, safer cities, indigenous trauma, economic development and women's equality all over the planet, we discover how the bicycle is the key to unlocking our #EngineInside and creating a better world. However you choose to—road, trail or commute—The Engine Inside shows us how in the face of our seemingly insurmountable global challenges, hope lies in the simple act of riding our bikes. “Never before have we experienced as many converging problems: the climate crisis, social and economic inequality, cultural trauma, and transportation issues. The Engine Inside is about unlocking the bicycle as a simple solution. The timing and the message of this film have never been as poignant or urgent as now.” — Darcy Wittenburg, Director of The Engine Inside. Shimano, Pon.Bike and PeopleForBikes Present An Anthill Films Production. Starring RRDBlocks, Janice Tower, Megan Hottman, Jay Bearhead, Nouran Salah and Kwabena Danso. With Danny MacAskill and Robert Gesink. Narrated by Phil Liggett. Directed by Darcy Wittenburg, Darren McCullough and Colin Jones. Cinematography by Darren McCullough, Darcy Wittenburg, Colin Jones, Matt Butterworth and friends. Shot on Red Digital Cinema and Freefly Systems. Produced by Darcy Wittenburg and Ian Dunn. Editing by Darren McCullough and Anna Dziczkaniece. Written by Mitch Scott, Darcy Wittenburg and Daisy Maddinson. Sound Mix and Design by Jo Osbourne. Music Score by KI:THEORY. Executively Produced by Ian Dunn, Dustin Brady, Will Ockelton, Sol Guy, Ben Davis, Bryan Cole. If you do just one thing—Ride. Unlock your #EngineInside. Full Bicycle Documentary Out Summer 2023.

Reactions: Con

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I tried to buy another bike today that was listed on FB Marketplace - a really sweet Cannondale. Someone else beat me by just one hour. I would have had to drive 1 hour to get it so not the end of the world. This was a really pretty bike though - you know. Like a work of art. You don't see those as much as the old rank and file.

bike.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: DzynKingRTR and Con

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I tried to buy another bike today that was listed on FB Marketplace - a really sweet Cannondale. Someone else beat me by just one hour. I would have had to drive 1 hour to get it so not the end of the world. This was a really pretty bike though - you know. Like a work of art. You don't see those as much as the old rank and file.

View attachment 35259
So I am guessing now would be a bad time to let you know what I got about 6 months ago then?

• Haha
Reactions: Bazza

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001

View attachment 35259

Here in North Charleston...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
So I am guessing now would be a bad time to let you know what I got about 6 months ago then?
Go ahead - I'm OK with seeing whatever you scored.... :)

Here in North Charleston...
Sweet....really cool it has the DH bars! Just like the setup I had on my Trek 2100.....

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001

Sweet....really cool it has the DH bars! Just like the setup I had on my Trek 2100.....
I was just browsing FB Marketplace for bikes -- found several Cannondales up to $850. I'm thinking of buying another cheap bike to ride around my neighborhood with my grandchildren and for exercise.

Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I was just browsing FB Marketplace for bikes -- found several Cannondales up to $850. I'm thinking of buying another cheap bike to ride around my neighborhood with my grandchildren and for exercise.
You probably want what they call a "comfort bike". As you have seen yourself, there's a zillion used bikes for sale right now - on FB and also CL.

You should be able to find a decent one for under $500.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I have a buddy that want's my Mountain Bike. Right now I'm not looking for another bike. This buddy bought my wifes bike for his wife. It's been so hot lately that I haven't been riding.
I'm tempted to sell. The last bike I kind of wanted was a Gravel Bike.
I think it has already sold...
It takes me back to my childhood when I road miles on a Frankenstine build bike that kind of resembled todays Gravel Bikes.
Over the years I've built several 'Fixies'. I had one while I was in college, because nobody wanted to steal it.
Old bikes are like old Trucks. You sell one and later you are looking to replace it with a bike that's similar.

One more thing... ROLL TIDE YA'LL.

Reactions: Bazza and 92tide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
You probably want what they call a "comfort bike". As you have seen yourself, there's a zillion used bikes for sale right now - on FB and also CL.

You should be able to find a decent one for under $500.
I have found several for around 100...just trying to figure out where I'll store it in the garage. I have 3 kids bikes on one wall, garden tools on another, and shelves + cabinets across the front. I'm out of space...

Years ago when I lived. in Portland/Beaverton, Oregon in HS I had a ten speed of some kind that I rode all over the area. Even in HS very few of us had cars...we rode bicycles. In seminary I bought a Motobecane and kept it for @ 20 years -- riding all for fun at various places we lived. Finally sold it in a moving sale we had. That bike was wonderful and easy to maintain. I NEVER had to take it to a bicycle shop.

Reactions: Bazza and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have found several for around 100...just trying to figure out where I'll store it in the garage. I have 3 kids bikes on one wall, garden tools on another, and shelves + cabinets across the front. I'm out of space...

Years ago when I lived. in Portland/Beaverton, Oregon in HS I had a ten speed of some kind that I rode all over the area. Even in HS very few of us had cars...we rode bicycles. In seminary I bought a Motobecane and kept it for @ 20 years -- riding all for fun at various places we lived. Finally sold it in a moving sale we had. That bike was wonderful and easy to maintain. I NEVER had to take it to a bicycle shop.
the ideal number of bikes is n + 1, where n = how many bikes you currently own

• Smash Keyboard
  • Roll Tide!
Reactions: Bazza and Padreruf

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have a buddy that want's my Mountain Bike. Right now I'm not looking for another bike. This buddy bought my wifes bike for his wife. It's been so hot lately that I haven't been riding.
I'm tempted to sell. The last bike I kind of wanted was a Gravel Bike.
I think it has already sold...
It takes me back to my childhood when I road miles on a Frankenstine build bike that kind of resembled todays Gravel Bikes.
Over the years I've built several 'Fixies'. I had one while I was in college, because nobody wanted to steal it.
Old bikes are like old Trucks. You sell one and later you are looking to replace it with a bike that's similar.

One more thing... ROLL TIDE YA'LL.
i've now have my old 1994 mountain bike set up as a single speed "city" bike, it's been nice getting that out of moth balls

Reactions: Bazza and Padreruf

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
We went into a Trek shop just to look around and the man had a Emonda that had about 40 miles of riding on it. I mean it was brand new. It is 5 lbs. lighter than my 1.2/2010 trek model. The wait time to get one from the factory was about 6 months. We were just in the right place at the right time.

Reactions: 92tide and Bazza

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
i've now have my old 1994 mountain bike set up as a single speed "city" bike, it's been nice getting that out of moth balls
Over the years I've built 2 Fixie's. They worked well for city use.
I built a single speed Huffy for an Oriental couple, and just used the rear brakes. They loved it. Then they came up with a pretty good Fuji to fix like the budget bike. The Fuji was stolen a couple of months later... Nobody wanted to steal the beat up ole Huffy.
I styled those Fixie's after bikes used in NYC by the courier's.
I put a rack on the front and the rear for convience.

Reactions: 92tide

Latest threads