Brag On Your Kid(s)

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
I've never seen this thread, but I love reading about all of your kids! It gives me hope for the future, for sure!

I have three sons. The oldest, Will, is 24 and serves in the USAF. He was recently promoted early (BTZ, for those who know what that means) to Senior Airman. He's working to finish up his degree in electronics engineering and is planning to go to OCS. The middle, Sam, is 22 and is living and working in Knoxville (I know, I know) as a project manager for a window replacement company. The youngest, Ben, just turned 18 and is in school to be a RN at Shelton here in town. He plans to get his BSN at Bama shortly after graduating from Shelton and then following his oldest brother into the Air Force, but as a commissioned officer from the beginning.

One thing I'm especially proud of is that all three of them earned the rank of Eagle Scout. Lots of folks don't understand how big of a deal that is.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I've never seen this thread, but I love reading about all of your kids! It gives me hope for the future, for sure!

I have three sons. The oldest, Will, is 24 and serves in the USAF. He was recently promoted early (BTZ, for those who know what that means) to Senior Airman. He's working to finish up his degree in electronics engineering and is planning to go to OCS. The middle, Sam, is 22 and is living and working in Knoxville (I know, I know) as a project manager for a window replacement company. The youngest, Ben, just turned 18 and is in school to be a RN at Shelton here in town. He plans to get his BSN at Bama shortly after graduating from Shelton and then following his oldest brother into the Air Force, but as a commissioned officer from the beginning.

One thing I'm especially proud of is that all three of them earned the rank of Eagle Scout. Lots of folks don't understand how big of a deal that is.

WONDERFUL post - thank you @Titans&Tide !

Much respect to you and yours for doing such a good job raising your boys.

I grew up with 2 older bothers and we were all in scouting. This was back in the 60's. None of us reached Eagle but along the way, I'd like to think we learned a lot about values and integrity as well as fellowship and brotherhood.

I do the game threads over on our Gator forum and just started one for tonight's USAF game against Utah State. I love the service academy games and as such had one for last night's Navy/Memphis and tonight's other with Army/UTSA.

Navy looked pretty good last night except for those 2 turnovers!

Please thank your sons for their service - all 3 of them!

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
(Not to belabor the point, but my post probably does :D )

Education is the great equalizer... if people will embrace it. Education is the one thing that can't be taken away from you (money, power, etc can all be removed/lost). In some other countries (I'm looking at you UK & India & China, and all over Africa), education is many times reserved for the "privileged".

Little known fact: if your family income is <$100K and your kid gets accepted to an Ivy League or MIT-level school, they're probably going to get a full ride - no loans, nothing to pay back - a totally free elite education. The "average" elite school actual cost of attendance is actually less than going to a public and paying out of pocket. Of course, that free ride assumes you get in and your family income is <100K and is one of the 3% accepted :) But, if you look at the granular details, that's 3% of everybody who applied. If you have high GPA, requisite test scores, and leadership / sports / academic activities beyond just going to school and doing well, it's more like 30%. So, being "book smart" is great but did you also take advantage of opportunities that were available in your community/area?

As I've mentioned previously, Bama offers probably the absolute best scholarship for National Merit with high ACT/SAT scores ... 5 years tuition, 4 years housing + bunch of other stuff. USCw offers 1/2 tuition, Oklahoma State and a handful of others are pretty good, too. Ivys don't do merit because they assume everybody who gets accepted is worthy. Most schools are now just needs-based financial assistance. But then there are departmental or corporate or individual scholarships that are available.

Of course, a kid has to do the actual work but encouraging them to do the best work they can (and not demanding high scores, etc.) is the best method in our experience. Tons of programs all over that are there to help families to get kids involved but you have to start preparing before 12th grade :D

Our daughter wrote down a plan in 7th grade on what classes she would be taking 9-12 to have the best opportunity to get into the best schools and have the best GPA possible. But then we made sure she also took advantage of sports, community service things, after school activities, etc. She wanted to do these but it also took some sacrifice on our part. She also advocated for herself at school to get into harder/better classes (without us even knowing) when she didn't feel like the one she was placed in was correct. but then there were things that she procrastinated on that we had to stay on top of her to get done. So, it takes both foresight and persistence, as well. It also takes a school that prioritizes things that matter over things that don't.

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
(Not to belabor the point, but my post probably does :D )

Education is the great equalizer... if people will embrace it. Education is the one thing that can't be taken away from you (money, power, etc can all be removed/lost). In some other countries (I'm looking at you UK & India & China, and all over Africa), education is many times reserved for the "privileged".

Little known fact: if your family income is <$100K and your kid gets accepted to an Ivy League or MIT-level school, they're probably going to get a full ride - no loans, nothing to pay back - a totally free elite education. The "average" elite school actual cost of attendance is actually less than going to a public and paying out of pocket. Of course, that free ride assumes you get in and your family income is <100K and is one of the 3% accepted :) But, if you look at the granular details, that's 3% of everybody who applied. If you have high GPA, requisite test scores, and leadership / sports / academic activities beyond just going to school and doing well, it's more like 30%. So, being "book smart" is great but did you also take advantage of opportunities that were available in your community/area?

As I've mentioned previously, Bama offers probably the absolute best scholarship for National Merit with high ACT/SAT scores ... 5 years tuition, 4 years housing + bunch of other stuff. USCw offers 1/2 tuition, Oklahoma State and a handful of others are pretty good, too. Ivys don't do merit because they assume everybody who gets accepted is worthy. Most schools are now just needs-based financial assistance. But then there are departmental or corporate or individual scholarships that are available.

Of course, a kid has to do the actual work but encouraging them to do the best work they can (and not demanding high scores, etc.) is the best method in our experience. Tons of programs all over that are there to help families to get kids involved but you have to start preparing before 12th grade :D

Our daughter wrote down a plan in 7th grade on what classes she would be taking 9-12 to have the best opportunity to get into the best schools and have the best GPA possible. But then we made sure she also took advantage of sports, community service things, after school activities, etc. She wanted to do these but it also took some sacrifice on our part. She also advocated for herself at school to get into harder/better classes (without us even knowing) when she didn't feel like the one she was placed in was correct. but then there were things that she procrastinated on that we had to stay on top of her to get done. So, it takes both foresight and persistence, as well. It also takes a school that prioritizes things that matter over things that don't.
All good stuff, you are correct.

One downside is parents success = less opportunities.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Lily finished applying to the nursing programs at 10 colleges (yes, she overdid it) a few weeks ago. With the Bright Futures scholarship, she will more than likely go to a public state university. But, she did apply to a couple of out-of-state schools (Bama and UAB) and one private university (Miami).

The results so far: she's 6 for 6. She's been accepted to Bama, UAB, U of North Florida, U of Central Florida, Florida International U, and Florida Atlantic U. All the schools have offered her scholarships as well.

Still waiting to hear from the three AAU schools (Florida, South Florida, and Miami) and Florida State. Florida apparently doesn't do rolling admissions, so she won't know about this one until the Spring. The others should let her know if the next few weeks.

Good job, Lily! :love:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Yes, education is the great equalizer...providing you study hard and major in a subject that will allow you to pursue your dream while keeping your options open. Most people put down the liberal arts, but I know history majors making 7 figures plus in different fields. MBA's tend to be over-rated unless from a top level academic school. I know persons in the business world who only have basic degrees who hire MBA's to work for them.

Education opens the doors...work ethic provides the result.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Lily finished applying to the nursing programs at 10 colleges (yes, she overdid it) a few weeks ago. With the Bright Futures scholarship, she will more than likely go to a public state university. But, she did apply to a couple of out-of-state schools (Bama and UAB) and one private university (Miami).

The results so far: she's 6 for 6. She's been accepted to Bama, UAB, U of North Florida, U of Central Florida, Florida International U, and Florida Atlantic U. All the schools have offered her scholarships as well.

Still waiting to hear from the three AAU schools (Florida, South Florida, and Miami) and Florida State. Florida apparently doesn't do rolling admissions, so she won't know about this one until the Spring. The others should let her know if the next few weeks.

Good job, Lily! :love:
A little update here. Lily has now heard back from all 10 schools ..... and she got accepted to all 10! UF (a.k.a. Bazza University) just notified her. She has also secured a full ride via the Bright Futures scholarships, and all the schools have also offered her scholarships on top of this. Now we are weighing the pros and cons of the various nursing schools. Very proud of this girl! :love:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
A little update here. Lily has now heard back from all 10 schools ..... and she got accepted to all 10! UF (a.k.a. Bazza University) just notified her. She has also secured a full ride via the Bright Futures scholarships, and all the schools have also offered her scholarships on top of this. Now we are weighing the pros and cons of the various nursing schools. Very proud of this girl! :love:
Man this is great news. It is good to have options. Congratulations!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Congratulations to Lily and her parents.....what an inspiration! I know how proud you must be, Bodhi.....so nice, buddy.......happy for ya! :)

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
THAT'S AWESOME! Congrats to Lily & her parents' wallet :D

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Fantastic news!

My youngest is on the verge of starting a scholarship bidding war among the music programs at their top three schools (Columbus State, Georgia Southern, and Mercer). Even more impressive when you know that they're wanting to major in choral music education.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Fantastic news!

My youngest is on the verge of starting a scholarship bidding war among the music programs at their top three schools (Columbus State, Georgia Southern, and Mercer). Even more impressive when you know that they're wanting to major in choral music education.
Well done and much respect, JThomas.....much to be proud of! (y)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Fantastic news!

JT, I meant to ask what discipline is your son/daughter planning to pursue? Singing? Composing? A musical instrument? Lily has been taking piano lessons for a couple of years. She's ok at it. She can play, but is not overly passionate about it. At least she got her musical skill from my wife and not me. My skills with the piano/trumpet/guitar has been described as "slightly better than pedestrian." :cautious:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
JT, I meant to ask what discipline is your son/daughter planning to pursue? Singing? Composing? A musical instrument? Lily has been taking piano lessons for a couple of years. She's ok at it. She can play, but is not overly passionate about it. At least she got her musical skill from my wife and not me. My skills with the piano/trumpet/guitar has been described as "slightly better than pedestrian." :cautious:
Choral music education. They have a fantastic voice, and a real passion not just for music, but for teaching music. Here they are at senior recital:

Props to Lily--my MIL was a nurse, so I've got an idea of hos challenging--and rewarding that can be. Plus, she should not have trouble getting a job!

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Ava entered UAB as a sophomore last fall and is already a junior. Her major is immunology, and she’s planning on medical school. Dean’s list and all that.

She’s taking on a lot though. She’s been accepted as an orientation leader and is taking part in a study as an RA monitoring patients during sleep studies every weekend. Unfortunately this means night shifts.

In light of that I wake up at 530 every Sunday morning, buy her breakfast, head downtown and ferry her back to her dorm.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ava entered UAB as a sophomore last fall and is already a junior. Her major is immunology, and she’s planning on medical school. Dean’s list and all that.

She’s taking on a lot though. She’s been accepted as an orientation leader and is taking part in a study as an RA monitoring patients during sleep studies every weekend. Unfortunately this means night shifts.

In light of that I wake up at 530 every Sunday morning, buy her breakfast, head downtown and ferry her back to her dorm.
Very impressive young woman. Good job, dad, on the early morning routine to help her out. (y)

Reactions: BamaNation

Latest threads