Classic Rock thread

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
My roots are in Classic Rock (best music on the planet in my opinion). Anyway, I take journeys back in time through the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. Right now I’m crushing on ELO (that’s Electric Light Orchestra for you youngsters). Send a comments to discuss…

sorry…didn’t see the other thread (mods…make thread leave or stay…your choice)

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Grew up with Motown, The Four Seasons, Righteous Brothers, Jay and the Americans, The Big O ( Roy Orbison ), The Beatles, Aretha, etc., etc. Stuff you could dance to, lyrics you could understand and was often romantic. Did like some of the 80`s, but that`s where it pretty much ended for me.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
My roots are in Classic Rock (best music on the planet in my opinion). Anyway, I take journeys back in time through the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. Right now I’m crushing on ELO (that’s Electric Light Orchestra for you youngsters). Send a comments to discuss…

sorry…didn’t see the other thread (mods…make thread leave or stay…your choice)
ELO, REO Speedwagon. I can dig it.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Grew up with Motown, The Four Seasons, Righteous Brothers, Jay and the Americans, The Big O ( Roy Orbison ), The Beatles, Aretha, etc., etc. Stuff you could dance to, lyrics you could understand and was often romantic. Did like some of the 80`s, but that`s where it pretty much ended for me.
So you go way back…me too (obviously)😎

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There

There are some from the 90’s that I would include as well. Isn’t it funny how many classic rock songs are used in commercials even to this day.
I am just going by the strictest definition. 20+ years. so technically classic rock could also include early 2000s. Soundgarden is now considered "old" music.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Having an older brother, my rock roots go back to Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Beach Boys, etc.
I really liked ELO with Jeff Lynns vocals and the strings in the background. Saw them live once.
TUBI has some documentaries on different classic rock bands including ELO that you may be interested in.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Having an older brother, my rock roots go back to Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Beach Boys, etc.
I really liked ELO with Jeff Lynns vocals and the strings in the background. Saw them live once.
TUBI has some documentaries on different classic rock bands including ELO that you may be interested in.

ELO’s glory years were the mid 70’s. Currently I’m revisiting the album Time. Jeff Lynne is genius. When Time came out in 1981 there were people who loved it or hated it because it was so different than their more commercially successful albums. Time is a concept album…the main character is taken away from the1980’s and sent to the year 2095. He misses his girlfriend and longs to see her again. In 2095 there is so much technology but he misses the real relationships he had in the 1980’s. Hmmmm….lots to chew on there! I simply love its quirky 80’s saturation…for some reason it just works. Give it a try. Also, a side note: several songs were cut from the album (presumably because there wasn’t enough vinyl to hold those three extra songs). But this YouTube site includes the lost tracks.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
The last several years, my daughter (high school senior now) has taken interest in my formative decade ('80s). We occasionally do '80s weekend movie marathons, listen to '80s music (or watch concerts from the '80s on YouTube), and she sometimes wears '80s-style fashion. One of her favorite concerts to watch is Cheap Trick at Budokan. (Yeah, that's 1978, but close enough. :giggle: )

REO Speedwagon and Cheap Trick are coming to my neck of the woods (St. Augustine Amphitheatre) in April.

Reactions: Bazza and BearFoot

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
The last several years, my daughter (high school senior now) has taken interest in my formative decade ('80s). We occasionally do '80s weekend movie marathons, listen to '80s music (or watch concerts from the '80s on YouTube), and she sometimes wears '80s-style fashion. One of her favorite concerts to watch is Cheap Trick at Budokan. (Yeah, that's 1978, but close enough. :giggle: )

REO Speedwagon and Cheap Trick are coming to my neck of the woods (St. Augustine Amphitheatre) in April.
Those are great times spent with your daughter…and great tunes to listen to!

Reactions: Bodhisattva

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I was born in the Late 70's and grew up in the 80's and 90's but 'Classic Rock' is still my favorite genre.

I consider that 60s and 70s Rock.

My favorite 3 Bands are still to this day The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.

Coincidentally my 3 favorite Guitarists are Hendrix, Page, and Gilmour.

Thanks to my Dad for getting me into that music at a young age with Records and 8-Tracks.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I was born in the Late 70's and grew up in the 80's and 90's but 'Classic Rock' is still my favorite genre.

I consider that 60s and 70s Rock.

My favorite 3 Bands are still to this day The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.

Coincidentally my 3 favorite Guitarists are Hendrix, Page, and Gilmour.

Thanks to my Dad for getting me into that music at a young age with Records and 8-Tracks.
Love Zeppelin too. I also love Metallica, Pantera, and anything Chris Cornell put out. Some of you older folks might have to google the last 2.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
I am just going by the strictest definition. 20+ years. so technically classic rock could also include early 2000s. Soundgarden is now considered "old" music.
I found Soundgarden at the beginning of the 90’s when I was a student at UA. Chris Cornell was an amazing artist. I was actually listening to them out in my shop today, where I build guitars. Others on rotation today were (early) Foo Fighters, Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, Deftones, Mad Season, The Smashing Pumpkins and the “Sound City” soundtrack. It was basically a classic 90’s day on Apple Music.

Latest threads