Decline of the GOP episode XIII

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
they are selling a few in georgia too

Now the strip mall spot where the Republican National Committee once held pastor roundtables and Lunar New Year celebrations is home to something different and decidedly more spicy: An adult sex toys and novelties retailer catering to an upscale crowd.

The space is part of a wave of RNC outreach centers that have closed in recent years, including at least two others in the Atlanta suburbs that Republicans had opened to great fanfare for minority outreach.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The Bulwark has really become interesting. If you'd have told me 8 years ago that they and Mona Charon of all people would call the GOP Putin's Party I would have kindly asked you to share whatever you were smoking.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
School board members in a Sheboygan County district listed “Christian values” and “conservative politics” as desired characteristics in a posting for a superintendent position at a public school.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
School board members in a Sheboygan County district listed “Christian values” and “conservative politics” as desired characteristics in a posting for a superintendent position at a public school.
but i thought those folks had been silenced by the woke mob /s

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This is flat out illegal and I sincerely hope someone sues.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
The great question is what comes first blue hair or progressive activism? By progressive activism I mean blocking roads, gluing your hand to a floor, and supporting terrorists in the Middle East. Don’t forget yelling in people’s faces and calling anyone that doesn’t agree with you a facist. I wonder how many blue haired people post on this board. I’m guessing at least 3.
Progressive activism is simply is a "political philosophy and movement that seeks to advance the human condition through social reform – primarily based on purported advancements in social organization, science, and technology." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism

If advancing the human condition is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

Someone gluing their hands to the floor is struggling mightily against some issue that they have no other good method to fight against. All sides yell at each other. It's not effective.

On the contrary, I would argue that the core of conservatism is the belief that there is one's own identity, religion, group, tribe, beliefs are better that other groups that are hold different views/religions/identities, and therefore must be wrong instead of lived with, accommodated, and learned from. Right wingers take this philosophy to an extreme where they attack others that are different. Fascists take this even further when they try to jail, eliminate, force migration, even kill those who are different.

Now progressive can do down some weird paths that are dead ends, or even be harmful in their attempts at social reform, but they generally don't attack anyone in their attempts to make room for the most ideas/groups/differences etc. Except, and here's the paradox, if you're talking to someone who hold fascist beliefs, in that they don't think you should exist, you cannot really accommodate that position. So being progressive here won't be helpful, and this is what brings out the anti-fascists. Sometime, and I think many conservatives associate the push back against fascist type behavior as typical progressives, which could not be further from the truth just as most conservatives don't attack others that hold different beliefs/cultures.

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
Progressive activism is simply is a "political philosophy and movement that seeks to advance the human condition through social reform – primarily based on purported advancements in social organization, science, and technology." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism

If advancing the human condition is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

Someone gluing their hands to the floor is struggling mightily against some issue that they have no other good method to fight against. All sides yell at each other. It's not effective.

On the contrary, I would argue that the core of conservatism is the belief that there is one's own identity, religion, group, tribe, beliefs are better that other groups that are hold different views/religions/identities, and therefore must be wrong instead of lived with, accommodated, and learned from. Right wingers take this philosophy to an extreme where they attack others that are different. Fascists take this even further when they try to jail, eliminate, force migration, even kill those who are different.

Now progressive can do down some weird paths that are dead ends, or even be harmful in their attempts at social reform, but they generally don't attack anyone in their attempts to make room for the most ideas/groups/differences etc. Except, and here's the paradox, if you're talking to someone who hold fascist beliefs, in that they don't think you should exist, you cannot really accommodate that position. So being progressive here won't be helpful, and this is what brings out the anti-fascists. Sometime, and I think many conservatives associate the push back against fascist type behavior as typical progressives, which could not be further from the truth just as most conservatives don't attack others that hold different beliefs/cultures.
The progressives have gone too far though. They now don't demand live and let live, which I think is a good thing. That's where we got to for the most part with the LGB part of the group. People had just accepted these folks were here and had rights even if on a moral level some still disagreed. There are always outlier nut jobs that don't. Now the farther left progressives demand that you not show tolerance, but must embrace whatever it is they are pushing and you are a fascist if you don't. That's where the social pushback is happening. Also the expansion of who is a "fascist" has done us no favors.

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
20 years ago, the same exact things were being done to the lgb group that we are seeing with the pronoun panic now

about 15 years before that this was happening and they were constantly being told they have gone too far

• Thank You
Reactions: NationalTitles18

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
STEPHANOPOULOS: Just to sum up. You support Trump for president even if he's convicted in the classified documents case. You support him for president even though you believe he contributed to an insurrection. You support him for president even though you believe he's lying about the last election. You support him for president even if he's convicted in the Manhattan case. I just want to say, the answer to that is yes, correct?
SUNUNU: Yeah. Me and 51 percent of America.
STEPHANOPOULOS: Governor, thanks for your time this morning.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
The progressives have gone too far though. They now don't demand live and let live, which I think is a good thing. That's where we got to for the most part with the LGB part of the group. People had just accepted these folks were here and had rights even if on a moral level some still disagreed. There are always outlier nut jobs that don't. Now the farther left progressives demand that you not show tolerance, but must embrace whatever it is they are pushing and you are a fascist if you don't. That's where the social pushback is happening. Also the expansion of who is a "fascist" has done us no favors.
I am sure you read news that I don't that highlights behavior or politics from the extreme left, possibly to paint the rest of the center to the left as all working under the same umbrella. I don't read that kind of news. I don't listen to either extreme, because they are extreme. But we should always avoid painting the entire political side of with one broad brush. This happens FAR too often in political discussions, partisan news, and in general on the internet.

The LGBTQI+ folks are just now, the first full generation here in the US as the Stonewall riots were in 1969, getting a real say in politics, society, and how they want to be seen and represented. This will be messy, as all cultural change is. Anytime there's a power shift or gain by a formally marginalized group, someone is going to be put off by it or even see it as the end times. Everytime there's a cultural change in a country, it's not a clean smooth process. Any study of history, from the formation of the the US, emancipation, to voting rights, to women's liberation, etc. shows no single change has been without a step forward, an ugly reaction, and some kind of moderation to a kind of middle ground. The LGBTQI+ cohort has been treated horrifically for centuries (millenia?), and it's understandable that they would push too fast/too far for the general population when the time finally came for them to get some kind of equity and cultural acceptance. I'm not sure about the exact use of Fascist you're talking about, but there are some real fascist styled groups in the US, and I wouldn't use that term on anyone without some real context.

Antidefimation league: