Mental health treatment - we have to do better

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
But I don't believe there's anything from SCOTUS that prevents a mentally disturbed minor who is an imminent danger to themselves or others (pretty much universal criteria/requirement for admittance these days) from being admitted with authorization from their parents. We just don't have the capability to care for this population properly - with the goal being stabilization and discharge to outpatient care.

Or am I missing something?
The problem is that you can't keep them confined indefinitely without a continuing series of court findings that they are still dangerous. Even when confined, the authorities are bound to keep working towards releasing them. The holding facilities basically just melted away over time. The case which started it was O'Connor v. Donaldson in 1975. Here's the Wiki on it...

Wiki

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When did Bryce Hospital close? It was still open when I was at Bama.
I think it was open to some degree until sometime in the mid-90s, although the population had shrunk greatly, because of the legal reasons I mentioned above. I think most of the last were just old people with no place to go. In my kind of practice, having clients ending up with dementia is quite common. Most of my clients are rather well off. However, the cost is so high for 24/7, I've seen more than one exhaust their assets entirely and then have to go on Medicaid. It came out in the reporting on the incident mentioned above in the facility in OXR that the state was paying $330 per day per child. By contrast, Alabama pays somewhere in the neighborhood of $45 per day per inmate in adult prisons...

• Thank You
Reactions: crimsonaudio

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The problem is that you can't keep them confined indefinitely without a continuing series of court findings that they are still dangerous. Even when confined, the authorities are bound to keep working towards releasing them. The holding facilities basically just melted away over time. The case which started it was O'Connor v. Donaldson in 1975. Here's the Wiki on it...

Wiki
To be clear, I don’t think anyone wants to confine them indefinitely; but there is a dire need for inpatient facilities where they can be stabilized and discharged to home.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To be clear, I don’t think anyone wants to confine them indefinitely; but there is a dire need for inpatient facilities where they can be stabilized and discharged to home.
In the absence of a red flag law, that's far easier to say than to accomplish. I see it around here frequently...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
In the absence of a red flag law, that's far easier to say than to accomplish. I see it around here frequently...
Yeah, we don’t have the facilities to admit for run of the mill suicidal ideation. It’s a huge problem.

I’m just confused why we need a law to admit kids for that under normal medical protocols. I’ve done it many times for kids and adults and didn’t need a new law to do it. If I’m misunderstanding you I’m sorry.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, we don’t have the facilities to admit for run of the mill suicidal ideation. It’s a huge problem.

I’m just confused why we need a law to admit kids for that under normal medical protocols. I’ve done it many times for kids and adults and didn’t need a new law to do it. If I’m misunderstanding you I’m sorry.
We have a law. Here is a link to the Mobile County Probate Court explanation. Pay attention to #5. In most cases, the "hold" only lasts for 72 hours, without a court order. My nephew has worked in the psych ward of Huntsville Hospital for over 35 years, so I get insight from that side, as well as the legal...

Involuntary commitment

Reactions: NationalTitles18

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
I don't know how counselors cope with all they hear and help a patient unravel. It seem to be very desensitizing which would also seem to limit your effectiveness as a counselor over time.
I’m seriously surprised my wife hasn’t turned to alcohol with all the things she hears as a counselor. She talks sometimes about it in generic, clinical terms to me (not mentioning names, etc.) and I’m shocked, even after being married to her over a decade now. She’s been at this going on twenty years at this point in one form or another, and I know she’s seen a lot of burnout with her fellow counselors over the years. Much of that burnout is in the low paying state jobs (which she’s done her fair share of over the years). Mental health is a criminally underfunded and under appreciated part of whole health care. She’s in private practice now and has a pretty decent hourly rate, and has people willing to pay it. Her Georgia office is located in the Roswell area, and her Florida office in the northern `burbs of Orlando (she officially started with a group in Florida yesterday) so those are areas where people CAN afford her rate. Sadly, though, for the others IF they can seek and afford mental health care, they unfortunately get the burned out, desensitized, low wage counselors who are one client away from calling it quits.

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
SIAP

This is also true for addicts. It still blows my mind that addicts are jailed for being addicts. This is especially true when one takes into account the cost of treatment vs. the cost of incarceration. Not to mention humane vs. inhumane.

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
This is also true for addicts. It still blows my mind that addicts are jailed for being addicts. This is especially true when one takes into account the cost of treatment vs. the cost of incarceration. Not to mention humane vs. inhumane.
But doing so would stop the cash flow to the criminal justice system.

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Relating to public K-12 education; to require each4local board of education and independent school system in the5state, subject to appropriations by the Legislature, to employ6a mental health service coordinator; to provide for the7qualifications and duties of the mental health service8coordinator; to require each local board of education and9independent school system to complete and submit a needs10assessment relating to the provision of mental health11resources to students; to provide for the responsibilities of12the Alabama Department of Mental Health and the State13Department of Education; to require a local board of education14to adopt a policy requiring parents to opt-in for mental15health services; and to provide for policy requirements.

___

Alabama now requires those parents who commit abuse (along with all other parents) to opt their child in for mental health services.

IOW, no child can receive these services unless the parent chooses the opt-in.

But to prevent school shootings Rs claim more mental health services are needed, and yet they allow parents to keep those services from kids who need it.

The act also requires parents be updated to the child's diagnosis and other details, making the most vulnerable children even more vulnerable.

• Thank You
Reactions: MobtownK

Latest threads