Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Michigan receives notice of allegations from NCAA related to recruiting and impermissible coaching | AP News

"The NCAA sent Michigan a notice of allegations related to impermissible on- and off-campus recruiting during the COVID-19 dead period and coaching activities, potential violations that led to the school’s self-imposed three-game suspension of Jim Harbaugh to start the season."
Unusually stern finger-wagging to follow any day now.

To call the NCAA a paper tiger is an insult to paper tigers everywhere.

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
I have zero confidence that the NCAA will deliver a punishment suitable to the sign stealing crime. That said, they do have an opportunity there.

In recent times, they've totally abandoned enforcement where player benefits are concerned. A booster can now give a player a million dollars to come to their school and it's no problem. I mean, technically, maybe that isn't how it works, but practically, there doesn't seem to be much difference. So, via the transfer portal and NIL, they've allowed the sport to foundationally morph into something else in the span of just a few years. There's absolutely no plan or concern for whether this is overall good for the sport. Seems that way anyway.

In my mind, the NCAA has allowed the world of inducements to become the wild west because they've realized they're in danger of being gutted by congressional oversight and civil rights lawsuits. The way the wind started to blow, with the advent of Title IX, they realized they couldn't limit the players' earning potential anymore - not without risking serious blowback. Public perception was that the players were getting a raw deal and the schools and coaches were abusing them while getting rich. The result was that the old days of penalizing schools when a player made some pocket change off their textbooks were over. The NCAA was too risk averse to push back. They just quit and became the toothless and worthless institution we see today. The inmates now run the asylum.

The Michigan case though, doesn't really intersect with any of this. The NCAA could reassert their relevance without any fear of being accused of running a plantation system (like they were when they policed player benefits). In fact, if this angle occurs to them, they'd have an incentive to make the penalties as harsh as possible. The harsher the penalty, the more the NCAA's reputation recovers, all at no risk to them. Aside from Michigan supporters and maybe some Big 10 partisans, the whole college football world would cheer the hammer coming down on them.

To wrap up an overly long post, the NCAA is political and cowardly. It has been for a long time. It will be interesting to see whether they see an opportunity for a free "win" here and totally go for it.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I wasn’t aware of the charge against Hairball for illegal recruiting during Covid lockdown. He seemingly doesn’t deny it - said he just met the player for a “cheeseburger”.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I wasn’t aware of the charge against Hairball for illegal recruiting during Covid lockdown. He seemingly doesn’t deny it - said he just met the player for a “cheeseburger”.
That will turn out to be one expensive cheeseburger... :cool:

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.