NFL to Allow Guardian Caps in Games

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
One thing I never thought about is that they reduce injuries to QB's when they hit their hands on helmets following through on passes.

Back in the day, Don Beebe wore something kind of similar.

1714161032430.png

Reactions: Countrytider2

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Here’s an article about a former NFL player who died yesterday. He was only 28. Another article said he took his own life.

He was a native of Montevallo and originally signed with Auburn but wound up at Cincinnati. He played in the NFL for five years and now he is dead. He was 28.

I don’t know what was up in his life or if he had CTE or if the helmet would have helped him. But it couldn’t have hurt. My son is 25 and is thriving in his career. This young man is dead. He was 28.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Guardian is based over here in Atlanta and in addition to the caps, they have a couple other really innovative products out there. They know their stuff from a product engineering and material science standpoint so I'm not really surprised at the results. There's some great materials out there that still need to get more broadly incorporated into sports equipment. Some smaller companies have started to, but the big providers are still behind.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
This kind of thing looks a bit silly, but then everyone starts wearing it and then people without it look silly. Same thing happened in baseball and even in cricket. I love football, but I wouldnt wish CTE on anyone, and if this helps, I'm all for it.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
My first reaction reading the title.....why would they allow their players to wear an MLB cap on the sidelines.

Then I realized...oh....the big extra padding helmet.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
One thing I never thought about is that they reduce injuries to QB's when they hit their hands on helmets following through on passes.

Back in the day, Don Beebe wore something kind of similar.

View attachment 42031
That’s Steve Tasker. Played safety. The Bills were my team as a kid. Seems like there was another player who wore one too. A DL maybe. At any rate, you’re right this isnt new

Reactions: davefrat and Con

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Because it looks terrible. Thats not me being cynical, thats just the actual reason they won't require them. They are aughable to look at and the NFL doesn't want that to be the image of the game, and they are understandably image obsessed.
Did you forget blue font? If not, those are absolutely terrible reasons with all the legal issues around CTE and the NFL.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Did you forget blue font? If not, those are absolutely terrible reasons with all the legal issues around CTE and the NFL.
No, its legitimately why they won't ever make them mandatory. Unless they can ever streamline the look somehow.

If it wasn't for that they'd be wearing them at every level in game.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
That’s Steve Tasker. Played safety. The Bills were my team as a kid. Seems like there was another player who wore one too. A DL maybe. At any rate, you’re right this isnt new
There was a guy I think named Tom Waddle who played WR/KR for the Bears many years ago and seemed like he got knocked unconscious every other game. He could have used the guardian.

Reactions: rolltide_21

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think it ought to be required for OL and maybe DL. Other positions it may be optional.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
They can put the team logo on there to make them more appealing. I bet they can make it happen. I’m glad the players have this option now.
View attachment 42042some of these are not quite as bulky as the ones we see players wearing in practice.

And I'd bet if they start getting more widely used in games, that guardian will start to produce color matches along with the potential for logos, etc. Hopefully these start to become required and/or the helmet manufactures start to do some real work to improve how their stuff works.

Latest threads