Russia invades Ukraine XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In my opinion, if the Dems give Johnson needed votes to keep his gavel, the price should be no more Russian election propaganda leading up to November's elections by trying to undermine public confidence in our elections.
If he starts up that nonsense again, any Dem can pull the trigger to call a vote just like MTG can.

Edit: It's my understanding that any member of the House can initiate a vote to fire the speaker. I don't think that's limited to only the majority party, but I'm not certain about that.
IIRC, it's any member...

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In the same devil's advocate spirit...

I think I've read that Johnson's abrupt about face about supporting Ukraine (he had voted against aid every chance he had) was a result of his having finally believed the seriousness of Ukraine's situation. After multiple briefs over the past six months, he finally believed his briefers and decided to act. He was also waiting for Trump's permission to buck MTG.
His obstacle was the clown caucus, but I would argue that he could have emasculated that bunch months ago. The delay in my opinion was because he valued his speakership more than standing by our allies, and it took six months to work up the courage to do something Trump might not like.
It didn't take a genius to need Dem votes to put bills over the top, just someone willing to do it. He was dragged kicking and screaming to the table, as evidenced by his visit to Trump in Florida a few weeks ago. Trump offered Johnson his support.

Mike Johnson Makes Pilgrimage to Mar-a-Lago to Save His Speakership | Vanity Fair

The reports of Johnson's efforts around the insurrection showed Johnson's true colors, in my humble opinion.
I understand anyone's feeling this way and being unwilling to give Johnson any credit at all, but I respectfully disagree. It's just the way the House works. Things can't be done instantaneously, the way it appears to outsiders. I agree he is also trying to preserve his speakership. It might be, just might be, that this desire is not 100% selfish. He may think that the alternative is chaos again and paralysis again in the house, which would be disastrous for the country. When I heard him say that he wasn't going to worry about losing the chair, he was just going to do his job, I thought to myself that he has the votes on both sides counted and he has her by the balls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads