Transfer Portal 2023-24, v2

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019
It's the opinion of most everyone outside of TideFans. Sports writers, coaches, and fans alike tend to agree. He ended last year #6 in the Heisman voting I think it was. And he's improved since then. I see the statement as true.
Finishing 6th in the heisman isn’t going to change anyones opinion if it hasn’t already. It’s noted every time the discussion comes up. The question is do we really think milroe was the 6th best player in CFB last year or was it because he was a leader on a team going to the playoffs. I mean someone could have the best stats in the country but if they was 0-12 they wouldn’t get heisman recognition.
The heisman is generally awarded to a QB or RB on one of the top teams in the country. Considering RB wasn’t a strong point for us last year Jalen got that attention.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
It wasnt this question specifically, but this was discussed on sports radio this morning with a guest journalist re Jerry Jones donating to the Arkansas NIL fund. Will the people donating the NIL exercise influence on who plays?

Unfortunately, I think yes. Teams running at the back of the pack in NASCAR run the risk of losing sponsors...

Like the NIL, I wonder if the NIL paid to a player will dictate their priority playing status over a better performing player who was awarded less NIL? We could be entering an era where the best player may not be starting.

Nothing to go on, but I am concerned that might be the situation with JM and TS...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It wasnt this question specifically, but this was discussed on sports radio this morning with a guest journalist re Jerry Jones donating to the Arkansas NIL fund. Will the people donating the NIL exercise influence on who plays?

Unfortunately, I think yes. Teams running at the back of the pack in NASCAR run the risk of losing sponsors...
I could see it going in that direction. Some boosters could be owners of a football team without NFL restrictions.

bamajas

1st Team
Oct 5, 2005
Jasper, AL
It's the opinion of most everyone outside of TideFans. Sports writers, coaches, and fans alike tend to agree. He ended last year #6 in the Heisman voting I think it was. And he's improved since then. I see the statement as true.
It's far more benign here on TF than on the pay board I've been on. Both "sides" are much more intense.

I'd love to see someone who "breaks down film" do a "here's why he's a great QB" study, but I've yet to see any

Reactions: gtgilbert

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This is False.

If it's your opinion that's fine but you are stating it like it's a fact.
There is so much irony in your comment. Seems your statement "this is false" is stating it's a fact. Vegas and most of the nation outside of Alabama agree with what Poke said. It's an open competition but at this point it is Jalen's job to lose.

Reactions: The Ols

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
You’re not wrong, but the reason Milroe is the lynchpin is because every play hinges on him. Every single one. He has to improve because the improvement of everyone else is meaningless if he can’t do the rudimentary things to be a successful quarterback. If the line gives him six seconds and he still doesn’t pull the trigger, what’s the point? Receivers are open, but he doesn’t throw, what’s the point? You could see he was the weakest link on a lot of plays last year. Guys open, line blocking, takes a sack. It’s just the nature of the quarterback position: you don’t have to be the best athlete, but you do have to do your job the best for the team to succeed.

Look no further than Bryce Young covering up for the weaknesses of his team.
I was thinking about the skills that Bryce had to hold the ball until a receiver came open and then put the ball where he needed to. He was supremely confident that he could avoid the rush indefinitely and deliver the ball on target. It seems similar to Patrick Mahomes.

I think about the mental accuity required for a QB to visualize in his mind a dynamic chess board and where all the pieces will be at a given time.

Some QB's get there with athletic gifts like Larmar Jackson, others with great arms and a quick release. It could be disected for weeks and is at every recruiting time or draft time.

That is my frustration with JM. I just can't visualize where he fits in terms of becoming an outstanding QB other than body size, strength and speed. He could overcome his obvious weaknesses if he decided to utilize his gifts to a greater degree. He needs to make up his mind pretty quickly.

As far as we know there aren't any ESPN commentators or sports writers out there making multi-million draft offers regardless of their seeming infatuation with Milroe.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I was thinking about the skills that Bryce had to hold the ball until a receiver came open and then put the ball where he needed to. He was supremely confident that he could avoid the rush indefinitely and deliver the ball on target. It seems similar to Patrick Mahomes.

I think about the mental accuity required for a QB to visualize in his mind a dynamic chess board and where all the pieces will be at a given time.

Some QB's get there with athletic gifts like Larmar Jackson, others with great arms and a quick release. It could be disected for weeks and is at every recruiting time or draft time.

That is my frustration with JM. I just can't visualize where he fits in terms of becoming an outstanding QB other than body size, strength and speed. He could overcome his obvious weaknesses if he decided to utilize his gifts to a greater degree. He needs to make up his mind pretty quickly.

As far as we know there aren't any ESPN commentators or sports writers out there making multi-million draft offers regardless of their seeming infatuation with Milroe.
If Bryce was 6'3"/225 he'd have been the most heralded NFL QB prospect since maybe John Elway.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

He fits when he's decisive. If they take his deep ball away, RUN. RIGHT THEN. Slide, get out of bounds, limit hits. Force the defense to play up with his running so he can more easily throw over them, which is what he likes to do anyway. His problems start when he tries to be something he’s not. His intermediate passing game is going to have to be his legs.

Reactions: UAH

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
What thread do I go to in order to keep track of transfer and portal news? I keep coming to this one for this information but most "updates" I see are not updates but are discussions about the quarterbacks.

Please, please, please...Can't something be done to move the quarterback discussions to the appropriate thread? I know this is the off-season but maybe not so much since the portal is open at the moment.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
There is so much irony in your comment. Seems your statement "this is false" is stating it's a fact. Vegas and most of the nation outside of Alabama agree with what Poke said. It's an open competition but at this point it is Jalen's job to lose.

He was 32nd in Passing TD's in 2023 and 56th In Passing YPG in 2023

That's not indicative of one of the Best QB's in all of CFB.

The offense had to be scaled back to fit his limitations and he still had limitations after that.

He has not improved on those limitations after what several people have seen who have access to closed practices.

I don't care about the Heisman at all or the media's infatuation with hyping someone up based on almost nothing but untapped potential.

If somebody can show me Top 5 or even Top 10 QB stats across the board then fine I'm wrong.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It's far more benign here on TF than on the pay board I've been on. Both "sides" are much more intense.

I'd love to see someone who "breaks down film" do a "here's why he's a great QB" study, but I've yet to see any
so I've starting looking at A-day through that lens for all the QBs. It's still a really busy time with family/kids sports so it's a slow go as I just don't have a big block of time to do it, but so far, it's not looking that positive for JM. Even some of the positive plays from a yardage standpoint, were not positive from an eval what should have likely happened standpoint. Once I get through, I'll do the right thing and put it on the Aday thread or QB thread instead of here.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I keep responding and remembering this is the transfer portal thread. Time to check out for a bit lol.
I'm honestly beyond tired of talking about it.

I'm especially tired of those who keep covering their eyes and plugging up their ears like a kid going 'lah-lah-lah' I can't hear you' and just ignoring all the signs going on at the position.

Tbf I tried to circle back and direct my thoughts to the Portal itself.

Somebody quoted me though saying I'm wrong about someone else being wrong.

I'm just almost kind of done tbh.

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
How did we get back to the QBs again? Milroe isn't going to enter the transfer portal. He's the presumptive starting QB. Some of this conversation is insane.
Thank you! The Milroe back and forth is making this entire football board tedious and unreadable. Everyone has made their position VERY clear. There’s no reason to have the exact same argument on every page of every thread. It changes nothing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And if they did how would you know? Seriously asking. What are you going by to let you know they have no concerns?
The problem is that everyone likes to hear from people with sources and people with access until the narrative goes against a belief that they are just too married to. Then they start with the “you are biased”, “you aren’t a coach” or “reveal your source or it’s not real” arguments.

To be frank I have never been impressed with either Ty or Milroe after three years watching them at closed practices and REC scrimmages. I have consistently said “I wish one would win and the other would transfer where the winner could grow without fear of a challenger”. But it hasn’t happened. I can honestly say this is the best I’ve seen Ty in 3 years of watching him and I don’t see real marginal improvement in Milroe at the viewing that I was at this spring.

No neither should transfer but at some point this argument needs to be settled sooner than later.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He was 32nd in Passing TD's in 2023 and 56th In Passing YPG in 2023

That's not indicative of one of the Best QB's in all of CFB.
I'm not trying to argue, but he's a dual threat quarterback so it's a bit like just citing Jalen Hurts passing statistics to back the argument he's not one of the best NFL QBs. For the record, Hurts was 13th in passing TDs and 14th in passing yards last year, which was decidedly middle of the pack.

However, he was third at his position in rushing yards, and tied for first in his position in rushing TDS, both things that certainly elevate him out of that middle of the pack. In fact, Hurts was fourth in total touchdowns.

By the same token, Milroe's 531 rushing yards and 12 rushing touchdowns certainly should be taken into account. When they are, Milroe was 12th in total touchdowns.

Reactions: TiderJack

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
By the same token, Milroe's 531 rushing yards and 12 rushing touchdowns certainly should be taken into account. When they are, Milroe was 12th in total touchdowns.
Miss St, LSU, UK, and Arkansas are not exactly good defenses. His only other rushing TD was against MTSU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.