Jalen Milroe is now the starter going forward.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Look, what is saban supposed to say- "Jalen sure as heck hasn't earned it, but neither have the other two. Nobody has earned it; they all have looked mostly terrible, so may as well go with the one who is the best athlete".

That's the truth, but you're going to try to spin it a little positive than that for them and your team.

As I and most in the media predicted, saban saw the very poor performances from *both* Simpson and Buchner saturday against a really bad team and went back to Milroe.

We don't have a qb, and thats true regardless of which of the three are named the starter.

What I never understood was several posters in here believing Simpson played ok Saturday and would be named the starter because of it. He had like 2 plus plays in over a half against many negative plays. Same for buchner.

Milroe is likely to play fairly poorly going forward. That doesn't mean he is the wrong choice, however, given the options.

Alabama needs a qb for next season. It's one of the very very few black marks on saban's alabama career that we went into this season without a viable starter at qb.
What’s he supposed to say? How about something like “We had some issues protecting the ball in the last game, and our offense is predicated on controlling the clock and maintaining possession. I think Ty did a good job of competing and controlling things within his control. I think he’s earned the opportunity to start the next game aight…”

It’s not difficult.

Reactions: HighlandOak

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
At least on my part I've never loved Pate or really bought what he was saying 100%. I'm sure there are locker room issues. I don't think that's the same as Saban choosing a QB because the players said so.
im on the fence about pate. There is one story that he is 100% wrong about and he never corrects even when the story has pretty much came out. That annoys me.

But I see him as a Clay Travis sports niche finder. He speaks to a certain type of fan who believes he is the wisest one in the profession and everyone else hates him. I just find him more tolerable than most of what’s out there.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

Bamaingeorgia81

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2022
I think a lot of us are also making too much of the offensive line. We've been spoiled by some all-time great offensive lines here at times during the saban era(2009-2012, the mac jones title year to name a few).

That's not ever going to be a realistic group again, just like Waddle/Smith/(won't say his name)/Jeudy is a once in a generation group of wide recievers.

Yes the offensive line through 2 games has been dissapointing(especially by bama standards), but it's pretty typical for a starting group for a bigtime power program. Bryce's footwork and pocket presence made it a lot better than it was the last two years, and the three qbs who have played through 3 games have made it look a lot worse.

The offensive line has been probably dissapointing, but just average qb play(which sadly we dont have and won't have this year) could make it a lot better.

HighlandOak

Suspended
Mar 8, 2023
STILL - do you not remember the lean years?? The 80’s were pretty rough. We won a championship in ‘92 and then the wheels came off completely.
I don’t think we’ll go through the trials and tribulations we went through replacing Coach Bryant, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we went through that crap again either!
Who wants to follow a legend? The GOAT?
After a year like this, which looks chaotic, you’d be ok with Saban leaving the program in a shape like that?? Seriously??
Seriously? Yes.

I'll freely admit that my level of "fandom" doesn't rise to most on the board. I've always wanted Bama to win every game they play, but that's where it ends for me now. The days of me getting by blood pressure up over a bad game or bad play are over. I think the "dynasty" is over . . . it is what it is. Recruiting is still going great according to ratings, but those players aren't performing on the field. Seems like Saban focuses on hiring recruiters at the expense of coaches. That explains the failed Lupoi as DC experiment, and probably why he allowed Golding to hang around as long as he did.

Will the next coach be as successful as Saban? I seriously doubt college football will ever again see the level of dominance that we have seen in the Saban era. I also seriously doubt college football as we know it will exist in another 3 or 4 years with NIL and the transfer portal.

Reactions: BamaInCummingGA

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Who are Josh‘s sources does he say… yet we have players on the record saying what the meeting was about and what it was not about. I can see that people gravitate to a better story but it just doesn’t sail with me and I am one Who would like to see more of TS I guess a better question to ask since we all know players read message boards is who does this conversation better serve? To me it certainly is not our team. I am not saying you might not have a handful of disgruntled players - you have them every year - but a full blown revolt against CNS I am sorry I can’t buy that at all.
I don’t think the implication is the players revolted against Saban directly. It’s more like “Milroe is our QB” and that’s the end of it. It happened in 2017 with the receivers, but Mike Locksley basically prevented a full walk-out.

Bamaingeorgia81

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2022
I think Saban has made his bed, now he has to lie in it.
Saban 'made his bed' by going into a season without a viable qb. Nobody is expecting Milroe to play well(and the others may be thrown back in at some point when he struggles.....why not?), but that doesn't mean it is the 'wrong' choice. There is just no right choice amongst this bunch. So maybe the best athlete of the bunch can make a few plays I guess?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I have my doubts that Milroe on winning the West based on my analysis of his play, nor do I like what I’m hearing coming from sources that have been proven to be far more right and in the ball park when they aren’t.

However I’m a Bama fan and will always will support them. So I’m hoping for the best although with far lower expectations. Hey maybe it will be fun.
That's me also.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
My wife and I both have parents who are in their mid to late 70's and we see what age and decline does.

We've recently had this same conversation.

This is NOT to question CNS's cognitive skills, but that something happens to most people when they age.
I resemble that remark. 😉

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Saban 'made his bed' by going into a season without a viable qb. Nobody is expecting Milroe to play well(and the others may be thrown back in at some point when he struggles.....why not?), but that doesn't mean it is the 'wrong' choice. There is just no right choice amongst this bunch. So maybe the best athlete of the bunch can make a few plays I guess?
Your first sentence is exactly what I meant.

Reactions: HighlandOak

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think a lot of us are also making too much of the offensive line. We've been spoiled by some all-time great offensive lines here at times during the saban era(2009-2012, the mac jones title year to name a few).

That's not ever going to be a realistic group again, just like Waddle/Smith/(won't say his name)/Jeudy is a once in a generation group of wide recievers.

Yes the offensive line through 2 games has been dissapointing(especially by bama standards), but it's pretty typical for a starting group for a bigtime power program. Bryce's footwork and pocket presence made it a lot better than it was the last two years, and the three qbs who have played through 3 games have made it look a lot worse.

The offensive line has been probably dissapointing, but just average qb play(which sadly we dont have and won't have this year) could make it a lot better.
Pretty strongly disagree with this. Our OL has been eaten alive way too often. Specifically Proctor has really struggled.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yea, well that is a pretty hot take and I simply do not buy it. He said he had coaches text him to confirm but what coaches is he talking about? If any of them are Bama coaches they need to be unceremoniously fired.
It was during the game. IF we have coaches texting Pate during the game he must really be one cool cat.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Never thought I see a time when Bama threw in the towel. That is sure what it looks like to me.
Well, you can't pick from options you don't have, and currently, we do not have a proven option at QB and apparently Saban is still competing to do the best he can this season. If that weren't the case, he'd bench all three of the QB's he's tried and give the freshman QB the game snaps. So no, I don't think he's throwing in the towel.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
When on the golf course, I always consider lightning as God’s way of saying “I want to play through”.
I took Saturday’s lightning delay as God’s way of saying “Gees… this is ugly. Both of you suck. Take break and at least TRY to pull it together…..”

Reactions: LeBron47

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
im on the fence about pate. There is one story that he is 100% wrong about and he never corrects even when the story has pretty much came out. That annoys me.

But I see him as a Clay Travis sports niche finder. He speaks to a certain type of fan who believes he is the wisest one in the profession and everyone else hates him. I just find him more tolerable than most of what’s out there.
Out of curiosity, which one?

Bamaingeorgia81

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2022
I understand that, which is why I think it's something going on off the field since what we have seen on the field hasn't explained why CNS is sticking with JM. There has to be some reason and being a leader off the field is one possible explanation. I'm grasping at straws to understand what is going on here. JM has been a turnover machine on the field.
The 'reason' is that Milroe, TS, and buchner all have appeared in limited game time so far(and likely in practice as well?) that they are unable to play qb well. So if that's the case, Saban probably figured he would go with the one who is at least an explosive athlete and may add a few highly positive plays that way.

I really don't think it is anything more than that, and the board is reading way too much into this. Saban is going with Milroe for the Olemiss game because we don't have a viable option at qb right now. That's a problem, but it is what it is.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads