Georgia’s perspective on SECCG

landonew

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2023
I know Georgia is disappointed, and you expect excuses from their fanbase, but the below quote from CKS (“gifting 10 pts”) seems like he’s implying that Georgia beat themselves. I’ve watched a lot of tape and Georgia was fortunate to be within two scores down the stretch.

Bama rushed the ball 42 times (out of 64 total plays), while only averaging 2.5 yds per carry. When they have a two score lead, they run on early downs and pass on 3rd down if they’re behind schedule. CNS is looking to use his offense to reduce opponent possessions and force them into passing situations. And that is exactly what they did to Georgia.

Georgia scored touchdowns on their final two offensive possessions. Couldn’t have played better on those drives. Yet the clock melted away and the game ended with Alabama running six consecutive rushing plays, gaining 40 yds, and kneeling the ball on Georgia’s 35 yd line to end the game.

Not for nothing, Bama had four discrete opportunities to end the game on defense. They failed to capitalize on two very solid interception opportunities. They also forced Georgia to convert two 4th downs on their final drive.

Ask yourself what would have needed to transpire in the 4th quarter for Georgia to win. JM had to convert one third down conversion (3rd and 2) in his final two drives.

Attachments

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
There was nothing controversial about that catch. The only reason people are saying that is because that idiot Gary Dumbelson wouldn't shut up and basically manufacture the controversy. The ball is allowed to move some when it hits the ground as long as the player is in control. Bond had both hands wrapped around the ball at that point. Booth looks at every play and did not feel the need to stop play.

So, screw Gary, screw Kirby, screw the UGA nation and screw all the new FSU fans around the country. Eat it and Roll Tide Roll!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is precisely why I don't like the "two receivers was hurt" excuse from us. SURE, it made their job beating us easier, I'll grant that.

But it's football.

You show up with the players who can play, you do your best, one team wins.

In a game that close, we can all point to a moment where "if only this one thing had been different." OJ Simpson could be a beloved American success story and model to young black men but for that one thing.

We played close to the vest football.

Kirby is lucky that Milroe wasn't firing a Tua dart the other night because that game is a blowout if he hits a couple of passes, too.

I know the saying is that you play 80-100 plays for 4 or 5 that make the difference. Years ago I figured out that the key number is eight. Eight plays in a football game is the difference between winning and losing, but it's ALSO the difference between a 7-point win and a 35-point win.

I understand he's disappointed, and it's part of why I'm solidly against making coaches who have just lost (and especially PLAYERS who have just lost) do postgame interviews. Coaches, well, okay, that's their job to put on the fake face.

Is this REALLY that difficult?
"I salute a good football team and coach - Alabama and Nick Saban - and congratulations on winning this year's SEC championship. You've earned it and deserve it. I also want our players to know that it hurts, yes, but it's supposed to hurt because it means so much. But I also want everyone else out there to know how proud I am of this team that has won the last two national championships and 29 games in a row, an SEC record. And guys, don't let your entire football life be viewed through the prism of one game because you've done and earned more than to do that to yourselves. I hope the committee will consider its mandate to choose the four best teams and give us due consideration as to whether there are four teams better in the country than Georgia. It's been a pleasure to coach this team and we have at least one more game, and I'm looking forward to that. I'll have further comment after the selections are announced tomorrow."

Next day:
"We're focused on Miami and the Orange Bowl with Florida State."

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
There was nothing controversial about that catch. The only reason people are saying that is because that idiot Gary Dumbelson wouldn't shut up and basically manufacture the controversy. The ball is allowed to move some when it hits the ground as long as the player is in control. Bond had both hands wrapped around the ball at that point. Booth looks at every play and did not feel the need to stop play.

So, screw Gary, screw Kirby, screw the UGA nation and screw all the new FSU fans around the country. Eat it and Roll Tide Roll!!!

I could not see that the ball ever made contact with the turf. It did appear to move slightly as he turned on his back but he was effectively down with full possession of the ball. This is CBS's greatest failure in my opinion constantly attempting to manufacture controversy where none exist.

Bamaatthebeach

1st Team
Feb 27, 2019
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
This was the most irritating part of that whole broadcast to me. I don't recall them really harping on that catch much at all until the second half was about to begin, and then, presto, suddenly it was a "controversial play," and they kept harping on and on about it. That was a clean catch. It moved a little bit, but he never lost control.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
This was the most irritating part of that whole broadcast to me. I don't recall them really harping on that catch much at all until the second half was about to begin, and then, presto, suddenly it was a "controversial play," and they kept harping on and on about it. That was a clean catch. It moved a little bit, but he never lost control.
Precisely why I watched with no volume…it was game changing. Legit, my frustration meter was sooo much lower, even in such an intense game, just by blocking those clowns out…y’all need to try it!!!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

ive seen so many reviews of catches like this and every single time except for this one, the announcers point out that the ball can move, you just can’t lose control.

they were extremely unprofessional on their treatment of this play

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I could not see that the ball ever made contact with the turf. It did appear to move slightly as he turned on his back but he was effectively down with full possession of the ball. This is CBS's greatest failure in my opinion constantly attempting to manufacture controversy where none exist.
watching it at full speed, there is no doubt whatsoever

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
ive seen so many reviews of catches like this and every single time except for this one, the announcers point out that the ball can move, you just can’t lose control.

they were extremely unprofessional on their treatment of this play
Gary once again was trying once again to show he was the smartest person in the room but ends up looking like the dumbest.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I may be the only one that thinks this, but I like the way Rees and Saban are working together to tailor the offense for the opponent. It was very good game control on our part.
I disagree. I watched the game again last night and the offense was too predictable every possession with a 10 point lead. When you were trailing or they got within a score, you opened it up and went through them like they weren't there. That is not smart play calling. That is playing not to lose. I didn't care for it.

Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
I disagree. I watched the game again last night and the offense was too predictable every possession with a 10 point lead. When you were trailing or they got within a score, you opened it up and went through them like they weren't there. That is not smart play calling. That is playing not to lose. I didn't care for it.
Said Ohio State. I think it was about game control and I liked! So, we can disagree!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
We had a perspective when we did not make it in last year as well. Didn't help though. Nick put us in a position to win by focusing in on our bowl game, recruiting players and coaches then coaching his butt off. A year later here we are. That is the strategy for success and I am content to keep riding that train.

landonew

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2023
It’s deeper than that. CNS and CKS understand that JM will likely win back to back SEC Championships and back to back National Championships. Possibly a Heisman.

What does that make Georgia? The modern day Clemson!

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
our first series out of the half really ticked me off. you knew there was no way they were going to let us run up the middle like we had done in the first half.

but i did hear saban say those last two runs by milroe were formations/plays we hadn’t run all season and based on the ga tech game they thought they would work.

they did.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads